This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

JewelEBeth

JewelEBeth Newbie

I was wondering if anyone has a comment on whether or not your doctor recommends a flu shot with celiac disease.  I work in a medical facility so flu shots are mandatory but I swear that I get worse with celiac disease symptoms about a month after the flu shot.  My flu shot was 10-28 and around 11-28 I started having inflammation of my entire intestinal tract, liver, gall bladder; etc.  I have started to eliminate even more foods from my diet which is a real problem since I've already eliminated so much.  Now I cannot have any packaged "gluten free" food and meat is bothering my gall bladder. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Vaccine topics usually get out of hand on the forum.

kareng Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

"Is it okay to get a flu shot if I have celiac disease?

Yes, it’s fine to get a flu shot. The immune system of those with celiac disease has not been compromised. You should receive the same immunizations as healthy individuals."

LauraTX Rising Star

You are fine to get the flu shot. If you have an issue with vaccines, it is something other than your Celiac disease.

According to University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center:

"Yes, it’s fine to get a flu shot. The immune system of those with celiac disease has not been compromised. You should receive the same immunizations as healthy individuals."

Open Original Shared Link

squirmingitch Veteran

Both my hubs & I have had flu shots every year & never had any problems. In fact, this year, along with the flu shot we both got shingles shots & we are fine.

Gemini Experienced

It sounds like you have something else going on and it most likely has nothing to do with the flu shot.  Do you have gall bladder problems?  This is common to those with Celiac Disease anyway.  You may also have pancreatic insufficiency, whic would cause gastro symptoms like you mentioned.

FWIW.....I have never had a flu shot.  I have also never had the flu but prefer to use common sense practices to avoid becoming sick. I am in a low risk group for the flu anyway.  Some people report a slight fever and the chills the day or 2 after a flu shot but that is normal. It just means your immune system has been briefly engaged.

Hope you feel better soon!

larry mac Enthusiast

I've had flue shots every year for as long as I can remember. Before and after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Have never had a reaction, of any kind (well except perhaps a slightly sore arm, lol). 

best regards, larry mac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JewelEBeth Newbie

Thanks for everyone's input. I have added a wonderful digestive enzyme that I take with meals and some I take throughout the day along with apple cider vinegar mixed in water twice a day and my symptoms have greatly improved. What a relief!

squirmingitch Veteran

Great to hear you're improving! :)

Archived