This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gaining Weight/muscle Mass With Celiacs.

matthew3

matthew3 Newbie

Iv been trying to gain weight recently ...was diagnosed with celiacs in september 2014 and kinda gave up trying to gain weight work out etc....but getting back into it just curious what maybe some good food suggestions for trying to gain weight and good foods for mass building workouts...still have a wierd stomach problems that i know alot of celiacs struggle with after being diagnosed...since i was eating glutten for a year straight and didnt know..but the one thing iv noticed helped me in the gym recently was creatine monohydrate...has definately helped me gain and have some more stamina...is this something that celiacs can benifit from??.thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Could that be part of your continuing stomach issues? Taking muscle-building supplements? Are you sure it is gluten free?

Your health is already compromised. Why risk it with something that has not been studied or tested well. Trying eating more meat and fish to get the same results, along with weight lifting. Do not forget to eat your veggies too and at every meal!

Give yourself more time to heal and really avoid accidental glutenings. You will bulk up soon!

Take care!

etbtbfs Rookie

Depending on how long you've had celiac, you could have low Total Blood Protein. You should find out what your TBP is ... Lab normal range 6.2 < TBP < 8.3 g/dl. Optimal is at least midrange. If high quality protein foods won't keep it up, then opt for supplements. I had celiac for a long time before diagnosis, so I have to use a blend of free essential amino acids to keep my protein high enough to avoid degeneration of muscle and connective tissue.

Woolsey Newbie

Could that be part of your continuing stomach issues? Taking muscle-building supplements? Are you sure it is gluten free?

Your health is already compromised. Why risk it with something that has not been studied or tested well. Trying eating more meat and fish to get the same results, along with weight lifting. Do not forget to eat your veggies too and at every meal!

Give yourself more time to heal and really avoid accidental glutenings. You will bulk up soon!

Take care!

Creatine is probably the most well-researched bodybuilding supplement on the market. Open Original Shared Link has a good summary of the research on it. It has proven effective for increasing lean mass when used in conjunction with resistance exercise. Aside from a small risk of stomach discomfort from consuming too much at once, there don't seem to be any real risks associated with consuming the standard 5g per day.

The only problem he may have is his doctor misinterpreting the elevated creatinine in his blood to mean he's damaging his kidneys, which is not the case. Here are some studies on that: Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link

Even in a case study where they gave a standard creatine dose to a guy who had just one kidney, researchers found no indication of renal damage. (link #7)

matthew3 Newbie

yah iv searched and brought my supplements to a nutritionist who has celiacs...she said that the best way was to eat more natural and such...but that the products didnt contain glutten...the creatine was just a pure form of it...and my stomach has been feeling pretty good while taking it and im definately lifting more at the gym...but yah i guess food wise i could eat more fish and stuff...i do eat alot of greens and fruits every day...which is why i think my stomach has been healing fast...

Woolsey Newbie

I was also recently diagnosed and have similar issues. I've been weightlifting for 4 years and I was able to gain about 45lbs in that time despite being undiagnosed. The problem is, all of those gains were thanks to consuming tons of whey and milk, and it seems I can't even continue to use whey until I get results for the Open Original Shared Link to see if it's safe. Still, some of my favorite foods for bulking before are safe:

• Eggs (2 yolks, 6 albumin) with coconut oil (tasty, good source of fat) and ketchup
    • 336 calories (222 calories from eggs, 114 calories from coconut oil and ketchup)
    • 36g protein
    • 18.5g fat (mostly healthy fat from coconut oil)
  • Open Original Shared Link
    • 94 calories per teaspoon
    • 4g protein per teaspoon
    • 8g fat
    • Just 4 big rounded teaspoons get you almost as much protein as an omlette.
  • Silk dark chocolate almond milk
    • 100 cal per cup; only 20 fewer calories than 2% milk
  • Dark wild rice
    • It's much easier for stuffing yourself with carbs than oats or potatoes
    • 166 calories per cup
    • 7g per cup! (over twice the protein content of white rice)
  • Sweet potatoes
    • 160 calories in a large potato
  • Handful of pecans
    • 117 calories
    • 12g fat

Hopefully some of these will work for you.

Also, you might get something out of Open Original Shared Link with Alex SIlva, a bodybuilder with celiac.

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome to the forum, Woolsey!

We like to keep all information on here based on legitimate sources, and unfortunately, the claims made by the people selling the expensive cross reactivity tests are based on poor science.  Per the University of Chicago Celiac disease center, these claims are all untrue.

Open Original Shared Link

Now, people can have separate issues with things like corn, soy, dairy, and others, but this is a separate issue.

Here is a well written article that goes in depth into the myth of cross-reactivity:

Here is an old forum thread from here that has some great discussion:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/101231-cyrex-cross-reactivity-test-accuracy/

And for our newly diagnosed friends, here are some great articles that were written by bloggers covering the Celiac Myths talk at ICDS 2013:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

matthew3 Newbie

I was also recently diagnosed and have similar issues. I've been weightlifting for 4 years and I was able to gain about 45lbs in that time despite being undiagnosed. The problem is, all of those gains were thanks to consuming tons of whey and milk, and it seems I can't even continue to use whey until I get results for the Open Original Shared Link to see if it's safe. Still, some of my favorite foods for bulking before are safe:

• Eggs (2 yolks, 6 albumin) with coconut oil (tasty, good source of fat) and ketchup
    • 336 calories (222 calories from eggs, 114 calories from coconut oil and ketchup)
    • 36g protein
    • 18.5g fat (mostly healthy fat from coconut oil)
  • Open Original Shared Link
    • 94 calories per teaspoon
    • 4g protein per teaspoon
    • 8g fat
    • Just 4 big rounded teaspoons get you almost as much protein as an omlette.
  • Silk dark chocolate almond milk
    • 100 cal per cup; only 20 fewer calories than 2% milk
  • Dark wild rice
    • It's much easier for stuffing yourself with carbs than oats or potatoes
    • 166 calories per cup
    • 7g per cup! (over twice the protein content of white rice)
  • Sweet potatoes
    • 160 calories in a large potato
  • Handful of pecans
    • 117 calories
    • 12g fat

Hopefully some of these will work for you.

Also, you might get something out of Open Original Shared Link with Alex SIlva, a bodybuilder with celiac.

yah that was exactly my case...i have a high metabolism and and have a tall long build so i knew all i had to do was just eat...and thats what i did , but most of that was milkshakes burgers pizzas anything loaded with calories...i did eat fruits and such...but probably more of the bad quick calorie foods...but im feeling more energetic now, than i ever was eating those foods now that im off gluten...i do take a pre workout that doesnt really bother my stomach...and eat brown rice ,buckwheat, quinoa and all that type of stuff....it definately will take some time to bulk though...but im gonna try

kareng Grand Master

My son's high school football coach told his team of skinny players that adding 2 PB sandwiches to their day was the best & easiest way he has seen to bulk up the players.

Woolsey Newbie

Welcome to the forum, Woolsey!

We like to keep all information on here based on legitimate sources, and unfortunately, the claims made by the people selling the expensive cross reactivity tests are based on poor science.  Per the University of Chicago Celiac disease center, these claims are all untrue.

Now, people can have separate issues with things like corn, soy, dairy, and others, but this is a separate issue.

Here is a well written article that goes in depth into the myth of cross-reactivity:

Here is an old forum thread from here that has some great discussion:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/101231-cyrex-cross-reactivity-test-accuracy/

And for our newly diagnosed friends, here are some great articles that were written by bloggers covering the Celiac Myths talk at ICDS 2013:

Thank you so much for those links, they helped clear up a lot of misunderstandings I had about cross-reactivity.

Woolsey Newbie

yah that was exactly my case...i have a high metabolism and and have a tall long build so i knew all i had to do was just eat...and thats what i did , but most of that was milkshakes burgers pizzas anything loaded with calories...i did eat fruits and such...but probably more of the bad quick calorie foods...but im feeling more energetic now, than i ever was eating those foods now that im off gluten...i do take a pre workout that doesnt really bother my stomach...and eat brown rice ,buckwheat, quinoa and all that type of stuff....it definately will take some time to bulk though...but im gonna try

Are you able to consume milk without issues?

• 4 weeks later...
matthew3 Newbie

Are you able to consume milk without issues?

somtimes..i use almond and silk milk now...i found that lots of dairy bothered my stomach...just kinda comes with the disease for some people i guess

Archived