This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Can't Stop Losing Weight...

mmalaski

mmalaski Newbie

Hi. I've been gluten free for alittle over 2 months. I was told I had gluten intolerance because my blood test came back negative, but have had bowl issues since I was a child. My doctor also discovered I had a vitamin d deficiency, which is what triggered the visit to the GI.

Over the last months I have not stopped losing weight. I was 182 lbs when I started and I am currently at 166, and seems to drop a pound a week. I am constany snacking on carrots, apples, peanuts, granola etc. I feel like I am eating all the time.

I eat 3 meals a day. The stupid thing is that before going gluten free I couldn't loose weight no matter how hard I tried. Any recommendations on how to stop the weight loss and keep a healthy weight?

I'm about 5 lbs away from what I weighed when I was 18...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shell156 Apprentice

Hi there!

You sound like me a little after I went gluten free. The weight loss started to worry me when I weighed less than I did at 13!!! Crazy, huh?

The thing is, when my BMI was about 19, the weightless just stopped. Maybe this is what a healthy weight is for me? I didn't look particularly overweight before, but I did want to lose weight. After being at this weight for 8 years now, I realized I quite like it! I'm small boned so a BMI of 19- 19.5 looks fine on me.

Is your BMI below 18.5? I wouldn't worry too much. I couldn't lose weight before going gluten free either, I think my body was starving for nutrition! Afterwards, I just became a healthy weight and stayed there.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Shell. Do not worry as long as you stay within your BMI range.

• 1 year later...
musickep Newbie

I think you have to heal your gut as well as being gluten free. I wonder what your bowel issues are?  Did you have an upper endoscopy with a GI? to ck out your small intestines to see what condition they are in?  Is the granola you are snacking on gluten free?   I was never told to heal my gut and it ended up hurting me in the long run....... and now I am healing my gut with the SCD diet because I have malabsorption and have been loosing weight all year (i was 135-140 and now 120). My stools were huge piles because the gluten-free food i was eating could not be digested.  And I hate to say it but Ive been Celiac for 23 years!   I must have had leaky gut and it never was healed and all the gluten-free food these days is just not healthy, and then you can have cross reactive foods when you have leaky gut - foods that leak into your bloodstream, and then your body attacks it as an invader and boom your allergic to it.  I am now on digestive enzymes, and even betaine hcl.  That is another thing that many people and doctors do not even know about - stomach acid. If that is off, ALL of digestion will be off.  We loose stomach acid with age, but we also can loose it due to parasites.   Anyhow, I wonder also if you ever got a complete stool anaylsis? that will also tell you issues with your stools.  It's the best evidence of how you are digesting and if you have any candida or parasites. Drs Data does this sort of test, you can ck them out online.  Blessings,  kp

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I would suggest more fats and protein in the diet, along with taking BCAA and yohimbine supplements between meals and before bed to help prevent muscle break down. Digestive enzymes before meals might also help you to get more out of what you are eating. Perhaps adding a protein shake to sip on throughout the day or a gluten-free meal replacement shake. Also check that granola and make sure it is gluten-free, and snack on more nuts and seeds. I hear you on the weight issues I had the same problem, on the bright side I am just lean muscle now with no fat at all. Look great just can't seem to get weight on.

• 5 months later...
Anonymous Newbie

Yes, I was wondering about that too, perhaps this could allow my body to go to a more beneficial and natural weight. It is just soooooo weird, never been in that kind of situation before. The fast weight loss is disturbing but perhaps my body, hopefully, will regulate itself.

What a rough road!

Theri Apprentice
On 2/5/2015 at 10:21 PM, mmalaski said:

Hi. I've been gluten free for alittle over 2 months. I was told I had gluten intolerance because my blood test came back negative, but have had bowl issues since I was a child. My doctor also discovered I had a vitamin d deficiency, which is what triggered the visit to the GI.

Over the last months I have not stopped losing weight. I was 182 lbs when I started and I am currently at 166, and seems to drop a pound a week. I am constany snacking on carrots, apples, peanuts, granola etc. I feel like I am eating all the time.

I eat 3 meals a day. The stupid thing is that before going gluten free I couldn't loose weight no matter how hard I tried. Any recommendations on how to stop the weight loss and keep a healthy weight?

I'm about 5 lbs away from what I weighed when I was 18...

You are most likely going thru gluten withdrawal.  Try gluten free amino acid powder. You need more protien. Hold of on roughage until weight stabilizes. Then slowly add it back. It took me over 3 months to stop loosing weight. Get a free gluten scanner on your phone. It is great. I hope you have been informed gluten is in ketchup, lip products, toothpaste, meds., vitamins. The list goes on. Know what you ingest. Hope you feel better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived