This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Printed gluten-free Menu At Red Robin

lpellegr

lpellegr Collaborator

I stopped at a Red Robin yesterday for the first time in about 10 years, because I knew they could do gluten-free, but the hostess told me they no longer print the information because "all the allergy information is on our website".  So when I sit down there, there is no information I can use on the menu, and I have to either rely on the server's memory or find someone with internet access.  The hostess told me that someone could bring an iPad around for me.  Really?  This is the best they can do?  Is this how Red Robin does it everywhere or was it just this place that doesn't print anything out for customers?  

I understand that they don't want to print out expensive menus in case their selections change, but you'd think they could at least have a current copy of their online allergy lists printed out.  The food was so mediocre (including a gluten-free burger bun that disintegrated halfway through, leaving my hands covered with sticky crumbs) that I don't plan to go back, but I want to write to someone and register a complaint.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

The Red Robins here are franchises.  So, what one does the others might not do.  I think I would email the main company and the local franchisee about this.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I believe the iPads are the way they are doing it now and have been for some time. You check off what items you can't have and the menu is tailored to that which is generally easier because it is up to date and it reduced the price of printing it off every month. 

Red Robin is one of the few places we go to on a regular basis as a family due to my kids wide range of allergies.  We appreciate all they do for us and we have only had one issue in the years we've been going there. We often plan hotel stays where there is one near by. As a company they are very aware of allergy/dietary issues. Sounds like your experience wasn't great and I would suggest contacting the manager as there may be something as some additional training that needs to happen. I feel we  also have a responsibility to look into place before we go so you have an idea of what to ask for instead of winging it so to speak. 

africanqueen99 Contributor

iPads here too.  Honestly, I like how I can click the boxes of our needs and go from there.

But, yeah, the food is nothing to write home about.  We eat there maybe once every six months when the kids are Jonesing for fries.  Luckily we have a local place around the corner that has gluten-free friers (the owner's kid has celiac).  Much better food.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Over the holidays, my daughter TRIED to get me to eat at Red Robin.  I hesitated and she walked up to the host desk (its off the side of our mall here) and asked if they had a gluten-free menu. The host said Oh yes, We keep it on the Ipad and I will bring it right over to you.  I lost my courage and said thank you anyway, and we left.. but yep..that is how they do it here too.

psawyer Proficient

I was intrigued by this, so I went to the web site. I said I was in upstate New York, and chose the Henrietta location, then launched the allergen menu. Wow--not just a gluten-free menu, a customized menu covering multiple needs. I checked gluten and shellfish, and was shown what was okay for me to eat, with notes about what to leave out (if applicable). For those of us who need to dodge soy and/or dairy, both of those were available as allergens to avoid. I don't know why anybody would be unhappy about this--it is beyond my hopes and certainly better than a printed gluten-free menu that only addresses gluten. Your mileage may vary.

lpellegr Collaborator

I agree that it's nice to have the ability to check on multiple allergens, but I wasn't offered an iPad, and I was not planning to go there, I stopped in because I saw the place in a mall I had not been to before and remembered that they could do gluten-free.  I didn't know I would have to do homework before I could eat there.  I have eaten at restaurants so very rarely over the past 10 years that I was hoping for something nice and easy, and it was neither, so I was greatly disappointed.  I expected to be given an actual menu like at PF Chang's or Outback.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MycasMommy Enthusiast

But didn't you say in the original post that the hostess would have someone bring around the Ipad?  When you hold the Ipad, the menu will be right there for you.  youtap the boxes for allergens and it updates with all the safe stuff. You do not have to do any homework?  I am confused?

Not crazy Rookie

I was asked if I had a smart phone. When I said yes I has given business card sized card with a bar code to scan and it took me straight to the web site for the location I was at.

What I didn't like was they stopped using the yellow baskets and served it on the same plastic plates they use for gluten food. I talked to the manager and told him didn't like the shared plates and if they're going to do it that way they need to line the plate with paper so the food doesn't touch the plate.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Do you eat at other restaurants?  All the baskets are washed the same way and they need to be cleaned and sanitized up to health code.  That would mean that they are clean for use.  I have never gotten a basket without paper in our visits either so that seems strange.   

FWIW, they got rid of the yellow allergy baskets and it was suppose to be an across the entire chain policy.  We have been serves on regular plates since this switch but last time did get the yellow basket again so who know.

Not crazy Rookie

The baskets always had paper liners. But when they took away the baskets, they served my gluten free burger on a plastic plate that is used for gluten foods that had scratches in it. I don't like the idea of eating off a plastic plate that had gluten on it. I always figured that even if the baskets got gluten on them there was a paper liner keeping my food from touching it.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I see.  I have never seen plastic plates at our so I was confused.  Yes, I can see wanting a liner for that. 

lpellegr Collaborator

Yes, the hostess mentioned an iPad, but when the waitress didn't offer it as an option, I figured they might not be prepared to deal with this.  Knowing what I know now, I would make sure to ask for the iPad, but really, is it so hard to print the allergy list from the website and just hand it to a customer as they walk in?  The food was not worth going back intentionally, but in a pinch I might stop in again.  Maybe if the waitress had known to bring up the iPad, I wouldn't be so cranky and would be raving about how marvelous the service was.  But not the food.

notme Experienced

their 'customizable' menu (online.  would be the ipad y'all are referring to) has all the different allergy culprits and things you would avoid.  for me, it would be gluten, wheat and soy.  would they have a printed menu in this specific combination?  doubtful.  i wonder how many different combinations there would be to print out.........  

personally, i like the approach.  it's a good use of the technology that is available  :)  and now i want a burger!!!!  

StephanieL Enthusiast

Just as notme said, it is much easier for those with more extensive lists to do it this way.  So while a printed out one would perhaps be great for one person, the iPad takes into account all the people with varying lists (we are peanut, tree nuts, dairy, eggs and gluten- I wouldn't expect to have a list based on that!)

Again, calling and mentioning to the management that you weren't presented with the option to look at the iPad could be helpful to them and others out there like you who may not be getting all the information they could.  Simply mentioning it to them may prompt better training.  Could have been a new server or a number of other possibilities.  And no, the food isn't outstanding but it is safe and my kids can have "normal" fries so it's a win for us and many like us.

JennyD Rookie

So my Red Robin uses the iPad as well, the reason they gave me was that their sources for ingredients change regularly and they may make it unsafe for me to eat there if they don't keep up on the printing. I actually like the idea of the iPad because I know the food safety is always up to date to the minute. They probably just explained it poorly, but when you think about it, would you rather rely on a staff that may not be aware of an ingredient change or an iPad that has all of the current and correct food options for you there? This goes for all allergies as well as Celiac disease.

My Red Robin then went on to explain that they are trying to accommodate some guests with several allergies and medical restrictions, its much simpler for them to check all the boxes and make sure they aren't missing anything :) Just my 2 cents but the system has worked out great for me, no glutenings at my favorite burger joint.

bartfull Rising Star

I really like the idea. I wish all restaurants would adopt this. Now gluten is the only thing I can't have, but a year ago when corn and soy and almonds and blueberries were giving me fits, it would have come in handy.

Of course it's a moot point because there is no Red Robin in my area. :angry:

• 3 months later...
notme Experienced

well, i finally got to get my burger!!  hahaha i don't get out much, but we were on the way home and stopped at the red robin in knoxville tn.  we ordered at the bar, to go.  indeed, the chick brought me the ipad - IT WAS FILTHY - (i have a pretty high eew threshold lolz and if *i* think it was dirty,, it was gross)  i really wanted that burger, though, so i ordered anyway.  they didn't label the box, they were both overdone, and my fries had seasoning on them when i specifically requested them without.  i ate the burger anyway.  not sure if i got glutened or not being as i have been under a considerable amount of stress the past few weeks (and my guts turn to goo when i'm stressing) no killer headache...  but the bill was, like 30 bucks for crappy burgers in a dirty restaurant.  and fries that were scary.  so, i'm not going to give them a bad review on find me gluten free.  (i had to call the restaurant and have them describe the difference between a glutenous bun vs gluten-free bun so i could eat the right one lolz)  or maybe i should because of the fries?  i'd hate to narrow down restaurant choices for somebody when i didn't really get sick....  :(

kareng Grand Master

well, i finally got to get my burger!!  hahaha i don't get out much, but we were on the way home and stopped at the red robin in knoxville tn.  we ordered at the bar, to go.  indeed, the chick brought me the ipad - IT WAS FILTHY - (i have a pretty high eew threshold lolz and if *i* think it was dirty,, it was gross)  i really wanted that burger, though, so i ordered anyway.  they didn't label the box, they were both overdone, and my fries had seasoning on them when i specifically requested them without.  i ate the burger anyway.  not sure if i got glutened or not being as i have been under a considerable amount of stress the past few weeks (and my guts turn to goo when i'm stressing) no killer headache...  but the bill was, like 30 bucks for crappy burgers in a dirty restaurant.  and fries that were scary.  so, i'm not going to give them a bad review on find me gluten free.  (i had to call the restaurant and have them describe the difference between a glutenous bun vs gluten-free bun so i could eat the right one lolz)  or maybe i should because of the fries?  i'd hate to narrow down restaurant choices for somebody when i didn't really get sick....   :(

I think you should review them.  Just say in the very first sentence which city it was.

LauraTX Rising Star

Ugh, filthy tablets/menus kill me at restaurants.  Sounds like a poorly run location.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I went to Red Robin today and had the first burger with fries that I haven't had to cook myself since I was diagnosed. I did think it a bit pricey but the burger was cooked the way I like it and even though well done was still nice and juicey. They did bring me the Ipad thing and since I have never used one of those the waiter had to show me how to use it but I liked that multiple allergens could be selected. It is definately someplace I will go to again.  The only thing that I would have liked to have seen is some gluten free deserts but since the burger filled me up well it wasn't a big deal. 

mamaw Community Regular

Our local  Red Robin  is very clean & spot on  so it must have been location...The fries are gluten-free  with or without  seasonings  at  ours...I usually just get  my burger in a  lettuce  wrap.. I haven't  eaten a bun   with a  burger  for a long time  & when I finally did  I was  so full I  thought I would  burst......I too  think they are pricey but  I also think  they are  big....

So  they  put  a gluten-free  burger  &  a regular  wheat  burger in the same  box? or  separate  boxes  but not  marked?  Either way  that  is  wrong & again  it  must  be location.... sorry  that  happened......I too  think I would write to corporate  & let  them know...they can only fix  problems  when they know about  them....most places are always  interested  in feed-back good or bad.....

Hope  Father in law  is  healing.....hugs

Archived