This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Vegetarian?

TashaLouise

TashaLouise Apprentice

I've decided to go vegetarian and was wondering if anybody else had done this after they have found out they are Coeliac? I'm planning on eating Quorn or just no meat at all if needs be but as there is a massive stock of Quorn supplies in Tesco (Quorn Chicken, fillets, mince, pies, steaks, etc) it won't be a problem. Anyway, what have peoples experiences been?

I'm in the UK by the way :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I've decided to go vegetarian and was wondering if anybody else had done this after they have found out they are Coeliac? I'm planning on eating Quorn or just no meat at all if needs be but as there is a massive stock of Quorn supplies in Tesco (Quorn Chicken, fillets, mince, pies, steaks, etc) it won't be a problem. Anyway, what have peoples experiences been?

Don"t those things contain LOTS of wheat?  Do they make gluten-free products?

TashaLouise Apprentice

Don"t those things contain LOTS of wheat?  Do they make gluten-free products?

Not all of them. The plain chicken, mince etc is gluten free. There are pies and things which aren't but as the quorum is in the frozen section, there is a free from section right next to it and some of spit actually overlaps. I.e. There are gluten free quorn products. :)

kareng Grand Master

Not all of them. The plain chicken, mince etc is gluten free. There are pies and things which aren't but as the quorum is in the frozen section, there is a free from section right next to it and some of spit actually overlaps. I.e. There are gluten free quorn products. :)

Great! The only ones I have seen were a Wheatfilled Horror!   :ph34r:

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Quorn does not make any products that are safe for celiacs at this time unfortunately. There are one or two of their products that contain no deliberately added gluten ingredients, but when the majority of their other products have gluten, cross contamination is a possibility. Quorn does not market any of their products as gluten free or make any gluten free claims at this time.

There are some celiac safe meat analogs though.

Beyond Meat products are delicious and are certified gluten free! Open Original Shared Link

Sophie's Kitchen makes a line of vegan "seafood" that is made in a dedicated gluten-free facility. We really like their little cans of mock tuna!

They are pricey, so mostly we eat veggies, fruits, beans, gluten free grains, etc. but it's nice to have a treat once in awhile. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

It looks like Quorn is working on becoming celiac safe in the future, though, based on this statement from their website:

"Some of our products, including Quorn meat free, soy free Pieces and Quorn meat free, soy free Fillets do not include any gluten-containing ingredients in their recipes. However, these products are manufactured in a factory which handles gluten-containing ingredients and, therefore, there is a small risk of gluten cross-contamination. We therefore label on packaging that these products contain traces of wheat. We have completed a comprehensive evaluation of our controls to ensure that we avoid cross-contamination and are working through final verification that will lead to us being able to positively state that these and other products are gluten free. We will update you as soon as we are in this position."

Open Original Shared Link

etbtbfs Rookie

If you go vegetarian, strongly urge you to:

Keep track of your B-12 level.

Keep your TBP (Total Blood Protein) in top half of normal range (6.2-8.3 g/dl)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

It looks like Quorn is working on becoming celiac safe in the future, though, based on this statement from their website:

"Some of our products, including Quorn meat free, soy free Pieces and Quorn meat free, soy free Fillets do not include any gluten-containing ingredients in their recipes. However, these products are manufactured in a factory which handles gluten-containing ingredients and, therefore, there is a small risk of gluten cross-contamination. We therefore label on packaging that these products contain traces of wheat. We have completed a comprehensive evaluation of our controls to ensure that we avoid cross-contamination and are working through final verification that will lead to us being able to positively state that these and other products are gluten free. We will update you as soon as we are in this position."

She's in the UK. I think they have some stuff there that is gluten-free. Products can differ soooooo much by country.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I was just in a Grocery store and saw this product. I would not consider it safe for celiacs at least in the US.

TashaLouise Apprentice

I was just in a Grocery store and saw this product. I would not consider it safe for celiacs at least in the US.

You mean you wouldn't consider going vegetarian safe for a coeliac? Why only in the US?

TashaLouise Apprentice

She's in the UK. I think they have some stuff there that is gluten-free. Products can differ soooooo much by country.

Thank you. The Quorn chicken and quorn mince in Tesco (are you in UK?) is gluten free. Not sure about the other stuff but would imagine the plain quorn meat alternatives are mostly gluten free. Thanks

TashaLouise Apprentice

If you go vegetarian, strongly urge you to:

Keep track of your B-12 level.

Keep your TBP (Total Blood Protein) in top half of normal range (6.2-8.3 g/dl)

Thank you for letting me know. I had no idea about this. I don't eat that much dairy so will have to eat eggs more than I do now. (Which, to be fair, is quite a lot already). I haven't actually heard of the TBP (I don't do/ know that much stuff about the body- believe it or not!) so will do a bit of research. Thank you so much!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Going vegetarian (or staying vegetarian) is perfectly safe for a celiac. The main thing to watch if you don't use many (or any) animal products is your B-12 levels. It doesn't hurt to take a B-12 supplement if you have any doubts that you are getting enough.

Protein is not usually an issue, as long as you're not living on junk food or doing a more extreme version of a vegetarian diet that omits a lot of food groups.
Protein is very easily had from non-meat sources. 

I think that you misunderstood Cyclinglady, I believe that she was saying that she wouldn't consider Quorn safe for celiacs (at least in the U.S.), not that celiacs cannot be vegetarians.

TashaLouise Apprentice

Going vegetarian (or staying vegetarian) is perfectly safe for a celiac. The main thing to watch if you don't use many (or any) animal products is your B-12 levels. It doesn't hurt to take a B-12 supplement if you have any doubts that you are getting enough.

Protein is not usually an issue, as long as you're not living on junk food or doing a more extreme version of a vegetarian diet that omits a lot of food groups.

Protein is very easily had from non-meat sources. 

I think that you misunderstood Cyclinglady, I believe that she was saying that she wouldn't consider Quorn safe for celiacs (at least in the U.S.), not that celiacs cannot be vegetarians.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I'm not going to cut out sweets that have gelatine or anything in. I'm only cutting out the things that have actual meat in- whole meat: (chicken/pork/beef etc). Will also cut out completely things like pate that is made from pigs liver and things like that but little bits I will still eat.

I don't eat junk food. I like vegetables and eat healthily. Stir fry and cheese/tuna/cucumber sandwiches.

I think I did misunderstand her. Thanks for clearing that up.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Oops, I quoted off the Australian website by accident. This is what I read from the U.S. website:

Quorn Chik'n Tenders, Grounds, Turk'y Roast, and Naked Chik'n Cutlets are suitable for a gluten-free diet. All allergens are clearly marked on the back of each package within the ingredient declaration and allergy advice section.

I'm going to email the company for more information on cross contamination. This is confusing!

• 1 year later...
dustinhxc Newbie

Beyond meat is my favorite. Gardein also has some stuff. Hopefully you've doing well. :) 

• 4 months later...
JimPhipps Newbie

You have taken the absolutely right decision. I think Going vegetarian will solve 50% of your problem. I think you must also add some nutritive supplements in your diet to keep yourself healthy and safe.

Gerald Apprentice

Im thinking of going vegan or vegetarian as well, Dr Grieger suggest that meat ups inflammation

I used to make bone broths with lamb/fish/chicken and possibly pork bones and had autoimmune type symptoms (Burning red ear - only the cartilage area), I purchased Collagen and tied it only once and had the same reaction (I assume they get their Collagen from carcasses, tendons etc)

Greiger also mentions that LEAD has been found in bone broths, I suppose heavy metals accumilate in the bones so this maybe why I reacted

Most of what Ive read tells me to go paleo or low carb and eat good fats and never read about vegans/vegetarians healing themselves of their leaky gut problems cause you have to cut out Gluten, in my case also casein, what veggies do you guys eat? Beans could be problematic also. Corn I also have to avoid :(

Archived