This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oahu Hawaii

gilligan

gilligan Enthusiast

I will be in Oahu the first week of May staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Resort.  I've rented a condo so that I can cook as many meals as possible, and I'm taking a skillet, few utensils, and my own strainer.  Any suggestions on safe places to eat ranging from fast (ish) food to a nice sit down dinner with the family? My family is happy to eat most meals at the condo and pack lunches, but it would be nice to go out a few times and stay healthy!  I've never been to Oahu, so I know very little about it.  We will have a rental car, but hoping I can avoid traveling too far away for a restaurant.  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MycasMommy Enthusiast

I really wish I could help you. I lived there for 8 years and have just moved to the mainland 4 months ago. Ruby Tuesdays has a gluten-free menu but I try to stay away from the downtown area as much as possible so I will be no help there.  If you have questions about things to visit though... ask away! The island is not that big, really. There is no "too far" as you will likely already be out and about.  Oh hmmm.. Germains Luau does not SAY gluten-free.. but I could eat most things they had there.

kenlove Rising Star

there are a number of  higher end restaurants like 12th  Ave. Grill and Town where they wil make gluten-free meals. Town has one or two on the menu but its always good to call first.  The Chef owner of 12th ave is  Kevin Haney and  Town is Ed Kenny.  Both will fix you up and have done so for  our forum members in the past.  Both places are in the kaimuki area of HNL. Whole Foods Market  in kailua and in kahala mall have extensive  buffet with  gluten-free and raw food  selections. Close to the university there is the Fat Greek which jas a great gluten-free salad  and an Indian place called maharaja  with  plenty of gluten-free selections.  Next time visit Kona where the chefs all know what gluten-free is all about.  have a great trip!

I will be in Oahu the first week of May staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Resort.  I've rented a condo so that I can cook as many meals as possible, and I'm taking a skillet, few utensils, and my own strainer.  Any suggestions on safe places to eat ranging from fast (ish) food to a nice sit down dinner with the family? My family is happy to eat most meals at the condo and pack lunches, but it would be nice to go out a few times and stay healthy!  I've never been to Oahu, so I know very little about it.  We will have a rental car, but hoping I can avoid traveling too far away for a restaurant.  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

• 1 month later...
gilligan Enthusiast

Mycasmommy and Kenlove, is it safe to eat a Pineapple Whip and/or a real Hawaiian shaved ice with the beans in the bottom?  Those are two things I was told not to miss, but not even sure where to look online to see if they are gluten free.  

kenlove Rising Star

should be no problem. the  red beans are  very sweet in  sugar  but no soy sauce. -- i never liked the artificial  flavors for shaved ice  so you  might be better off at  the whole foods smoothie place. try to get  the fresh  pineapple at the  KCC farmers  market and make your own.  I htink the new executive chef at the Hilton is Charles Charbeanou. Good guy  and  celiac  aware.  have a great trip

• 3 weeks later...
gilligan Enthusiast

I thought I would follow up on this thread. I didn't talk to the chef at the Hilton, but I found a few restaurants there that could provide meals for me.  I don't remember the name of the more expensive one (Bau?) that offered to do a meal, but the Tropics Bar and Grill was fantastic!  My son ate there and noticed they had gluten free pancakes on the menu. The staff was great, and the Hilton wowed me when I was informed they have a separate kitchen for guests with restrictive diets.  So awesome!  Many good meals were consumed there.  Also, the snack bars around the pools will do what they can to help you.  I didn't really find anything on the menu other than chips and salsa, but didn't want to risk a problem, so I ordered only a drink.  Waiter came over to find me after a bit to let me know that he called the main kitchen to verify that they were gluten free and should be safe at all of the pool snack bars. After a walk, we stopped in to order a cocktail.  I wanted a non alcoholic one that contained ginger beer, but didn't know what ginger beer was.  Waitress not only checked with the kitchen, but brought me the can so that I could see for myself the ingredients listed.  By the way, ginger beer is a nonalcoholic stronger version of ginger ale.  

kenlove Rising Star

thanks fro the update - - good to hear you were well taken care of. 10 years ago none of the  hotel chefs know about and even the health food stores didnt know gluten free here. I became president of teh ACF chefs  and  started  an education program so things are  getting better. 

hope you make it to the big island next time

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Glad to hear about your experience.  We are going back to Kauai in Oct for the first time since I was diagnosed (5 years).  We too have rented a condo so I can more easily cook.  We used to rent a little beach sack but the kitchen was a little too rustic!   We plan to hit the Costco for some basics and then the local farmers markets.  I used the Find Me Gluten Free app on my phone and was pleased to find several dining options.  Getting excited!

kenlove Rising Star

The waipa farmers market in hanalei has expanded a bit and really good.  the INdian place called Shivalik is really good too.

The gluten free  bakery and restaurant in lIhue is great too

Glad to hear about your experience.  We are going back to Kauai in Oct for the first time since I was diagnosed (5 years).  We too have rented a condo so I can more easily cook.  We used to rent a little beach sack but the kitchen was a little too rustic!   We plan to hit the Costco for some basics and then the local farmers markets.  I used the Find Me Gluten Free app on my phone and was pleased to find several dining options.  Getting excited!

• 1 year later...
Celiacinthesea Newbie
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 1:37 PM, cap6 said:

We found a grocery store on Kauai called Papayas that carries gluten free items to cook at your hotel. They have a deli, but no gluten free options.

Celiacinthesea Newbie
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 5:33 AM, gilligan said:

I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu. I have yet to meet another celiac, so that tells you something about our limitations here. I work in Waikiki and do frequent Rouffage. It is nothing fancy, small place, but keeps me fed when I need something. I also like Greens and Vines. It is a vegan restaurant and worth every penny. Greens and vines sets up at the KCC farmers market on Saturdays too. Places in Waikiki that do offer a gluten-free menu include, PF Changs, Dennys, Big City Diner and California Pizza kitchen. I do not trust those places due to the risk, but they "offer" gluten-free options. I did try and order a beer at Yard House in Waikiki. They label clearly states that it contained wheat, so yeah sent that back with the waiter. I have also tied Doraku in Waikiki. I called ahead and spoke with management. That went well and they offer gluten free soy sauce. There is a deli at Down to Earth Grocery store in Honolulu that has gluten-free options, but the whole foods here do not offer hot food that is gluten free. They do have a hot food bar, but you have to stick to the whole plain salad and veggie options. It's good to hear the hotels here are getting better, beyond Waikiki hotels there is no one really interested in being gluten free.

Archived