This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Printable For Daycare

Brit1612

Brit1612 Apprentice

I have been looking for something to print for my daycare.  Something that was not too wordy but that explained what celiac was and a little about cross contamination.  Everything I keep pulling up is too long, and not really what I am looking for.  Does anyone have a recourse that is good to give to schools (that is short enough for them to actually take the time to read).  It is really important that they understand considering my son is only two and cannot talk.  Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Oh wow, I must've missed something, did your son end up getting DX'ed with celiac?

Brit1612 Apprentice

Oh wow, I must've missed something, did your son end up getting DX'ed with celiac?

Yes and No.....I don't know :)!  We are still just as confused as ever, but we recently went to see an immunologist, to learn more about his low iGA.  I had no clue I would leave there being told "he is celiac with or without the test saying so; you need to go gluten free".  The immunologist seems great, and she happens to be celiac herself (as well as two of her kids).  She seems to believe that he is celiac and doesn't seem to mind the fact that none of the test are showing this to be true.

In fact, I started a thread as soon as we got back asking if I should trust the immunologist or the gastro????  The gastro says no celiac, the immun says yes!  I was so suprised by her reaction that when i got back to work the next day I plotted all of his heights and weights on a growth chart.  What I saw was pretty revealing.....  His height flat-lined each time gluten was introduced.  First at 13 months with table foods, and then once again when gluten was re-introduced during his gluten challenge.  Somehow I missed this because the second time he continued to gain weight.

We recently changed daycares and I am concerned about them being able to handle him going gluten free.  I am sending all of his food, but I am still worried.  It would be nice if there was some brief but informative hand-out that you could give to the daycare....

BlessedMommy Rising Star

If he has a DX, then you can get a 504 plan.

Brit1612 Apprentice

Is there such a thing in daycare?  I know to do that once he is elementary school, but I was really just worried about the daycare setting.  I have been reading "letters to teachers" but they all seem like they are for a "big kid".  I was just looking for something short and informative to let them know about how serious they should take cross-contamination and about play-do etc. but I can't seem to find anything.  I may just write it myself!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I guess you found this letter?

Open Original Shared Link

Brit1612 Apprentice

I guess you found this letter?

Open Original Shared Link

I did, thanks.  It is good, just geared to school-agers who can speak up for themselves.  They will have to handle the food I send him, keep him from accidentally grabbing someone else's food, etc.  I guess I will just write one myself today.  I have already talked to his main teacher, but I know at daycare there are plenty of times that other people are in and out of the room....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I wear a "Road ID" bracelet/Velcro band when I run or bike. Has all the family phone numbers, name, etc. Could he wear one of those in addition to written notes and meetings?

Brit1612 Apprentice

I wear a "Road ID" bracelet/Velcro band when I run or bike. Has all the family phone numbers, name, etc. Could he wear one of those in addition to written notes and meetings?

That's a great idea!  The only thing is he is a picky two year old and I'm not sure if he would keep it on or not?

cyclinglady Grand Master

If I can get my Labrador dog to keep a bootie on her paw every single day, all day long, then you can do it with your son. It will take some training, but he will get used to it.

My lab is old and injured her pad on her front left paw last Fall. She was too old for surgery, so I kept it clean and wrapped with flannel and a dog boot. The pad healed but now it is growing weird (what is with these autoimmune disorders in our family?). So, she will wear this get-up for the rest of her life. She walks well in it and if it falls off she stops to tell us. She is as good as gold when we re wrap her paw. I get the lovely job of hand washing her flannel strips, ace bandages, and boots patched lovingly with duct tape.

My daughter has to wear her Road ID when she goes camping with Girl Scouts. It gives us peace-of-mind knowing that if she were unconscious, someone could call us fast.

A metal ID bracelet too might stay on better and can right into the tub or pool. Diabetics use them.

africanqueen99 Contributor

My youngest goes to a Kids Morning Out program through our school district (public school) - so she has a 504.  It started when she was 2.5 so they had to think about the needs for a young child.  Maybe you could start that route - write up what you'd put in a 504 for his age and then meet with the staff.

* Same staff member always deals with his food.  Always served first.

* Seated at head of the table to put more space between him and others.

* All kids use place mats and they all learn boundaries to not touch other place mats.

* Food stays at the food tables ONLY and tables/floors are cleaned immediately after eating.

Then think about play-doh, sensory boxes, etc.

StephanieL Enthusiast

We have used Medic Alert since DS started preschool.  There is a special number to identify your kid in case of emergency they can make a call and get pertinent medical information.  It's also a pretty well known symbol so people know "Hey there is some kind of medical issue here" which is what you want them to know/get.  DS has had it removed from his wrist twice (he is now 8, got it when he was  3.5) both times for medical procedures only. 

Archived