This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jax Lowell, Danna Korn?

eeyor-fan

eeyor-fan Contributor

A while back in this forum there was a lot of critical things said about the Gluten Free Bible, and how it was not accurate because she recommended things like Frito Lays etc and many people reccomended "wheat Free, Worry Free" by Danna Korn. 2 Days ago I went to our local library and was looking for "Wheat Free, Worry Free". They did not have it, but the DID have another book by Danna Korn called "Kids with Celiac Disease". I checked it out and my only question is; have you read it? She, in that book, preaches the exact same things as Jax does in the gluten-free Bible; right down to Frito Lays. I've come to the conclussion to only believe about 50% of what I read from these types of books and really it is just safer to do the work on our own, instead of depending on these type of books. :(

Bridget

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

I suggest the kids with celiac by danna korn for newly diagnosed parents. More for the emotional understanding of the changes the gluten free diet brings into your household.

As for the diet, you have got to read the label. You have know the companies official policy on what they mean by other natural flavors, modified food starch, fillers and binders, or other questionable ingredients. Ingredients are subject to change.

Laura

eeyor-fan Contributor
I suggest the kids with celiac by danna korn for newly diagnosed parents.  More for the emotional understanding of the changes the gluten free diet brings into your household.

As for the diet, you have got to read the label.  You have know the companies official policy on what they mean by other natural flavors, modified food starch, fillers and binders, or other questionable ingredients.  Ingredients are subject to change.

Laura

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't putting down either book as a whole, just saying that one has been bashed to death on here, while the other is praised and, really there is not that much difference. Amen to reading labels, and if you check my other posts you will see I'm always writting/ calling companies. Plus Jenvan, is my "Great Mentor" when I get confused. I think a better book being I've read everything I can get my hands on, for newly diagnosed (I know because that was me not that long ago) is "A Personal Touch on Celiac Disease" by A Personal Touch Publishing (from 2004 so it is newer, it is written by people with Celiac, and it deals with babies right up to Seniors and has something for everyone...even family of celiacs). $15 to order it into Barnes and Noble. My hubby and I took turns reading it to each other and discussing it together everyday. The only book that really made me feel like there was hope, and others going through what I was, after I was diagnosed (the only book I actually bought my own copy and still read a lot on a regular basis).

Hugs

Bridget :)

mommida Enthusiast

I will be on the look out for "A personal touch with Celiac". Thank you for the suggestion.

The Danna Korn book hits on and describes a lot of things you don't think of when you get the diagnoses.

Your family refusing to get tested even when they are experiencing obvious symptoms.

Your child's reaction, and good solution to the situation of not being able to accept a treat. I did not think I was ever going to be a parent that carries around a "goodie" bag every where we go. To trade off the gluten treat for something acceptable.

Explains some of the testing.

It gives a good foundation of resources.

Some books can be a good starting point. Any book that says you can scrape sandwich filling out of gluten bread is just wrong and dangerous for a Celiac. (That is one of the reasons a certain book has been really blasted on the forum.)

Laura

celiac3270 Collaborator

Danna Korn says she's trying to avoid using specific product names. And she incorporates numerous disclaimers. And with regards to the FritoLay thing--about 1/2 of celiacs look upon FritoLay suspiciously, suspecting contamination. I personally don't, but if she warns against FritoLay, that's fine cause so do so many others. NOW, Danna does not make long lists of prescription drugs in which half of the products listed to be gluten-free actually are not and those listed as not being gluten-free (such as Lipitor) actually are. Danna does not suggest that you pull the cold cuts from between the wheat bread and just brush off the crumbs. Danna does not suggest, if you're a Catholic, taking Communion and stuffing it in your pocket, nor eating the wafer if you're confronted about this practice. Danna Korn does not list references without ever visiting them, resulting in numerous misspellings of the URLs (delphiforums.com was morphed to delphiformus.com). As you can see, there's a lot more to this than Fritos. My other posts explain in greater detail.

I highly recommend Wheat-Free, Worry-Free (and it's more sophisticated than her beginners-aimed Kids with Celiac Disease). I would endorse other celiac authors, and have nothing against any of those I haven't mentioned. I do have a problem with Jax, because I think her inaccuracies are dangerous and negligent.

eeyor-fan Contributor

As I said....I am NOT putting down EITHER author....I'm not a supreme being so I cannot judge and I do not have all the answers to life's questions. I was just saying, I think the best thing for all of us is to only believe about 50% of these books and depend mostly on what WE learn, none of us have all the answers and it would be negligent to think any of these authors do and to depend on other peoples words 100%! The only person who has the control of making US better, is US. I was not trying to start a debate and I'm sorry if I did not make my point clear enough. As I stated before, it is up to us, so there is no need to bash anyone here. We are all in this together!

jenvan Collaborator

Bridge-

(Thanks for the compliment girl!) I have simliar thoughts to what you're saying... I think there are some things we can take as gospel...but many things, like "frito-lay" for instance, are subjective, and each of us has to use our own discernment and choose what we feel is best...after doing the research and hearing from both sides. I need to check out the personal touch on celiac book too. It must be pretty good if it sparked discussion between you and your husband !

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes--I've heard good things about that book (Personal touch on... Celiac Disease) but haven't actually read it. Not trying to resurrect the Jax debate--sorry--just wanted to defend Danna Korn cause I think she's pretty reliable.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Danna is awesome (I met her in San Diego last year).

Her book is more cautious than others, but how is that a bad thing?

On the Frito-Lay thing -- they do produce the gluten-free list, but they have several facilities where items are produced on lines where gluten-friendly items were produced also.

Strangely enough, I seem to react to Lays stuff, but not to Ruffles or Lays Stax.....go figure!

Archived