This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Needed, Sulfite Problem

Zebra007

Zebra007 Contributor
Hello ladies, I'm hoping someone might be able to help.  I have recently with the help of my Allergist discovered that I am Sulfite intolerant, which is a huge blow as I am of course Gluten intolerant and Dairy intolerant too.  We also discovered I have an intolerance to yeast, corn eggs, and chickpeas.  At the moment I am really struggling with things that I can eat, its a terrible intolerance to have. 

To make things even more complicated, many flour mixes contain potato starch, which I cannot have as it has sulfites...I need to be able to have some kind of bread/tortilla concoction otherwise I am going to be hungry and start losing weight.   I looked at a recipe today from Tammy Credicotts book for yeast free bread rolls, and she lists Sorghum flour, millet flour, teff flour, potatoe starch, tapioca starch and flax meal for the ingredients, I looked to see what I could replace the potatoe starch with and unfortunately the only answer was with cornstarch, which I also cannot have.  I know some of you ladies are good with baking, and I wonder if someone could suggest something, or maybe I could just exclude the potatoe starch and double up on the tapioca starch, I really dont know.  Or if someone has a simple recipe for me to make tortillas I would be so grateful.  It appears I am not going to be able to purchase ready made flour mixes, and so before buying what I need I thought I would ask on here...honestly I am desperate, and hope someone can help me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Can not help you with the baking, but can you tolerate fats? I am grain free literally because I am diabetic and grains really spike me. I consume lots of fat and get most of my carbs from veggies and a little fruit. Keeps my weight on and my cholesterol panel has never been better and my blood glucose levels are great. Something to think about. I am never hungry because fat fills me up!

bartfull Rising Star

Do you react to all of these things? I ask because there really is no test for intolerances. Allergies yes, (although even those tests aren't all that reliable.) The only real way to tell if you are intolerant to something is to do an elimination diet. I would suggest if you are having symptoms that you first check to make sure no gluten is slipping into your diet via CC or meds. Then drop all of these things and start with simple whole foods. Then once you are feeling better add back one thing at a time.

I can't help with recipes because I am a lousy cook. :lol: But I do know that a lot of folks here like almond flour. Don't know if that will help but it's the best I can do.

BridgetteIMcleod Newbie

Have you tried the Paleo recipes for bread? There are some very good ones available. I use grated zucchini and almond flour with egg and spices for a tortilla , it works really well. Not only is it gluten-free it low carbohydrates and not all the starch. If you want the recipe let me know

Zebra007 Contributor

@cycling lady..I do fine with fats, I just miss not being able to even have a tortilla or a bread roll with anything...

@bartfull....I have been doing an elimination diet, with careful monitoring of a food diary, which is how it became clear that I had a problem with Sulfites, I actually think I have had this problem for months, but its  quite tricky to detect, although the drinking of wine and dried fruit test is pretty clear.  The other items I found out recently from my allergist from the standard skin prick test.  I know that these skin prick tests aren't always perfect, but it kind of makes sense, as I was using a lot of Bob Mills all purpose flour which contains Garbanzo flour.   What  I have noticed, whenever I have eaten a lot of something, probably too much, I seem to have problems with it, and then cannot eat it anymore, this recently happened withbanana and plantain.

@Bridgette..Thank you Bridgette, but I forgot to mention I cannot have Almonds, its the only nut I have a problem with, and I put this down to the fact that I went through a phase of drinking only Almond milk, and as I said, whenever I eat a lot of something I sometimes find I can have a problem with it at a later stage.

I am feeling a bit happier since posting this as I have just discovered some really nice little snacks on Amazon by that wonderful Company "Enjoy Life" and they are free of every allergen you can imagine even sulfites!!

LauraTX Rising Star

For the recipe you mention, I would just try it and substitute tapioca starch for the potato starch.  If that makes it too doughy, then remove the potato starch and adjust the other flour ingredients by a little bit so the total amount is the same.  It may be something you have to play around with.

Zebra007 Contributor

Thanks a lot, I will give it a go for sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived