This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ruby Tuesdays

webgyrl

webgyrl Newbie

Hi! I wanted to let everyone know about Ruby Tuesdays. In our town, we don't have too many restaurants to choose from. I refuse to never eat out again...although I love to cook/bake, it's nice to be able to go out to eat.

I realized that with the small offering of places to eat here, I would have to take action to make sure I could A. eat out again, and B. do so safely.

With that in mind, I paid a visit to our local RTuesdays nearly a year ago and asked to speak to the Mgr. I explained about my condition and allergies (I have other food allergies as well) and told him that I would grace their doorstep several times a month if he could help me determine which foods were gluten-free and safe for me to eat.

He was *VERY* helpful and spent a good long time bringing actual labels from products so I could see for myself what I could/could not eat.

Based on what he showed me, I found the following items safe and I've not had any reaction from eating them...

(note: at our local restaurant, the chicken breasts come unmarinated..yours may be different)

Crispy Chicken Club sandwich w/bacon, swiss cheese, and mayo

-- order this with the GRILLED chicken breast. I HATE mayo so I checked and their honey mustard sauce is AOK!

Buffalo & Blue w/buffalo sauce, Mont Jack cheese, mayo

-- again, order this with GRILLED breast. Very tasty!

Burgers -- just hold the bun, watch the dressings..I've not checked ALL of them, not sure on BBQ

Grilled chicken dishes.....plain w/no sauce and no seasoning

veggies - hold the seasoning (not sure about it)

mashed spuds are ok

DO NOT eat any dipping anything from appetizer menu. ALL contain gluten. This includes the con queso dip, spinach dip and other dips. Total bummer!

Anyway, I normally just get the chicken club and bring in my own bun. With the bacon and cheese and honey mustard, it's quite good!

HTH :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

capawa Rookie

Glad to hear about Ruby Tuesdays. We have them here and I always wanted to try them. Thanks for the info! :D

kerri124 Apprentice

Thats great to me. The Ruby Tuesday's near me wasn't too helpful at all. They told me they couldn't guarantee anything was gluten-free! :(

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I personally would not go by this list, because each restaurant prepares their dishes in different ways. In different states they have different food prep regulations etc. If you really wish to eat there...you will have to sit down with the manager like webgyrl did...and go over each and every item. This will allow you to be more safe and lessen your chances of getting something that is bad.

Even if you do this, you risk the chance of getting a manager who has no idea what you are talking about, and just says "yep that's gluten free" :angry:

Good luck!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

webgyrl Newbie

I agree! I really lucked out here as the Mgr just started and was more than willing to help.

Now, we also have a Chili's here. They have a corn tortilla appetizer with chicken and such. I asked the Mgr, the cook, and the waiter (him 4 times) about the ingredients. Was given the all-clear. So, like a boob, I ordered and ate it.

We went to WMart right after and about 10 minutes after we hit the store, I was violently ill. I didn't think I would make it to the bathroom. I have to admit, it must have looked pretty funny to see a grown woman running flat-out through the store. lol.

Anyway, when we got home I called the restaurant and got that idiot mgr on the phone. I told him about my reaction and asked him how that could be since he *assured* me it was safe. He went through the ingredient listing and said it was clean. It contained soy sauce so I asked him if it said anything next to the soy sauce in parantheses. Oh...it does. :angry: WHEAT.

I really went off on him...I'll not be eating there ever again. In the end it's my fault for not being absolutely certain myself. I did tell him he needs to read ALL the ingredients when a customer has allergies or issues.

But back to topic at hand...don't go by my list. Check it for yourself to be certain :-)

Archived