This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need to lose

Galixie

Galixie Contributor

I previously had success losing weight with calorie counting. I lost about 30lbs that way and managed to keep it off for at least a year, but it is slowly creeping back up and I've now regained 10. Calorie counting worked for me because I still felt like I could eat anything I wanted as long as I could fit it into my calorie budget. It didn't feel restrictive to me.

My problem now is that, after having to give up both gluten and dairy, I feel like my choices are constantly restricted. The idea of also trying to restrict calories on top of that is overwhelming to me. So I'm not sure, really, how to approach my problem.

I'm not very physically active. I find that I have to be conscious of how much energy I expend because I have a B12 issue which causes me to become and stay extremely fatigued if I overdo physical activity. I would like to find a balance where I could be a little more active than I currently am. There's a time/money component to this issue that I haven't quite worked out though.

I also have not yet learned to cook. I find calculating calories more difficult on home cooked versus pre-packaged foods. However, if I learn to cook, I could probably eat healthier than I currently manage. So I think I just need to find a non-calorie-counting approach.

What has worked for you? Are there any good methods that work easily with gluten and dairy restrictions? I've noticed paleo seems to include a lot of milk/cheese. If I'm going to try to cook things, I don't want to worry about trying to figure out substitutions. I'm really bad (I mean *really bad*) at cooking, so the fewer the complications the better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eliza Plank Newbie

I previously had success losing weight with calorie counting. I lost about 30lbs that way and managed to keep it off for at least a year, but it is slowly creeping back up and I've now regained 10. Calorie counting worked for me because I still felt like I could eat anything I wanted as long as I could fit it into my calorie budget. It didn't feel restrictive to me.

My problem now is that, after having to give up both gluten and dairy, I feel like my choices are constantly restricted. The idea of also trying to restrict calories on top of that is overwhelming to me. So I'm not sure, really, how to approach my problem.

I'm not very physically active. I find that I have to be conscious of how much energy I expend because I have a B12 issue which causes me to become and stay extremely fatigued if I overdo physical activity. I would like to find a balance where I could be a little more active than I currently am. There's a time/money component to this issue that I haven't quite worked out though.

I also have not yet learned to cook. I find calculating calories more difficult on home cooked versus pre-packaged foods. However, if I learn to cook, I could probably eat healthier than I currently manage. So I think I just need to find a non-calorie-counting approach.

What has worked for you? Are there any good methods that work easily with gluten and dairy restrictions? I've noticed paleo seems to include a lot of milk/cheese. If I'm going to try to cook things, I don't want to worry about trying to figure out substitutions. I'm really bad (I mean *really bad*) at cooking, so the fewer the complications the better.

Hello. Well first i would like to say it that you should not be worried about the weight loss. Actually because it didn't work the way you like. So, first try to concentrate on your own health. Sometimes gluten free diets do not burn calories that easy because the same gluten free food itself contains much more calories than other like junk food or else. The thing is that you have to mix it with work out. I had the same problem in the past. I am taking healthy gluten free food but i haven't lost not a single kilo since. SO, my advice would be to include at least 30 minutes work out in your daily routine and you will notice the changes. 

mommida Enthusiast

I recently had my cholesterol level checked.  No surprises there, it is always high.  So I listened to my lecture and really tried to make some diet changes.  Well how exactly do I cut out more carbs when I've been on a gluten free diet for over 10 years?Years of pasta and bread making me sick, I really don't indulge that often on gluten-free replacements.  So it came down to eating more vegetables.  (lost weight and went down on some of the cholesterol counts from eating 2 more bites of vegetables per meal)

Since I can't think of anything else to do to lower the cholesterol further I am trying psyllium husk fiber.  It is still early but I seem to be losing weight.

I don't know if that will help anyone lose more weight, but keep eating healthy!

bartfull Rising Star

I have used this website for calorie and nutrition data on whole foods: Open Original Shared Link

And I too am a lousy cook. Here's what I do: I cook meats in the oven. Chicken breasts, pork chops, or roasts. Just put them in, shut the door, then take them out when they're done. A crock pot is good for this too. If you're not sure how long to cook them, either get a cookbook or look it up online. I usually throw some baking potatoes or sweet potatoes in and cook them at the same time. You'll know they are done when you can easily pierce them with a fork.

Veggies? Well it depends on what you like. I usually go for broccoli or cauliflower. Those I just cut up into really small pieces. I mean really small. You can use a food processor, but I find they are a pain in the neck to clean so I just got one of those hand operated food choppers like Mom always used to chop nuts and things.

Now here's the cool part. You don't have to cook the veggies at all. Just shred up the meat, cut or mash up the potatoes, and throw a serving of veggies in. Mix it all together. Put individual servings in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. Each morning take one out and it'll be ready for the microwave by lunch time. Instead of potatoes you could make rice. Just follow the directions on the bag. And instead of butter, try drizzling some olive oil on your meal.

I cook once a week. At first you may want to make several different batches so you will have some variety to choose from. Fill your freezer and you won't have to worry about cooking for a while.

And here's the thing - if you eat like this you WILL lose weight without having to count calories. Processed foods not only have lots of junk in them that are bad for you, but they almost always have more calories than good whole foods. And as an extra added bonus, you will start feeling better. I was the proverbial junk food junkie at one time but after having eaten this way for a long time now, junk food seems gross to me.

If I can do this I know you can too. :)

Galixie Contributor

Thank you!

A few days ago I was talking to a friend of mine about needing to find a basic cooking class. He was lamenting the lack affordable basic cooking classes with me. He would love to find a class that teaches how to cook meat in various ways because he was a vegan for years and doesn't feel knowledgeable now on how to cook meat. I have difficulty following written recipes and learn best in a tactile fashion, so I think a class of some sort is probably my best option. The ironic part is that we live in an area that is very 'foodie', so there are an abundance of very specialized classes on all sorts of fancy cooking techniques (mostly focusing on desserts) that are so far over my head it is laughable. There are dozens of classes in the general area and not a one of them could teach me how to make a pot roast or bake a chicken (although a whole chicken is really too much for me to get through anyway).

If I can figure out how to cook basic things, I'm sure it will help. I was looking around online and I started to get interested in the high protein, low GI diet. My blood sugar levels are very good, but my cholesterol could stand to come down and I'm thinking low GI probably fits pretty well with gluten free. It also, in a way, seems simpler because it is more a matter of focusing on meats and veggies. It seems like I can only focus on one thing at a time. I know I basically stopped counting calories right after I gave up dairy, which is why the weight started creeping back up. That's why I'm sort of looking for something that is all-inclusive in the sense of dairy free, gluten free, and low calorie or weight loss inducing in some fashion. It probably doesn't exist, but if I don't look I'll never find, right?

I will admit that I can't actually recognize or name a large number of the veggies in the produce isle. That's another bit of learning I need to master to get on the right track.

Exercise is still a work in progress. I planned to walk a bit last night and the plan got derailed at the last minute... And I can't even pretend that I'll have the time to try to get to it tonight. I'll keep working towards it though. :)

bartfull Rising Star

Chicken is easy. If you cook a whole one (and plan on freezing the leftovers as I suggested) all you have to do is put it in a roasting pan, pre-heat the oven to 350, then cook it until the leg twists easily. If you're cooking parts - breasts or legs, do the same - no need to add water or anything. Just cook them until the skin is really brown.

Pork chops - I add water to the pan, about to the same level as the cops themselves. Cook at 350 until they are good and brown. You can cut into one to make sure it's done inside.

Galixie Contributor

How long does the meat need to 'rest' before you can refrigerate or freeze it? Someone at work said it's bad to put freshly cooked meat in the fridge, but we were all a little unclear on whether it was bad for the actual meat or because the warm container might warm up surrounding food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

If you make up the individual meal packages as I do, you only let the meat cool long enough to be able to handle it. Then everything goes into the freezer. Otherwise just leave it out while you eat, then refrigerate what's left. The only harm in refrigerating straight out of the oven would be, if it's a glass baking pan it might shatter (so let it cool for twenty minutes or so), or the fact that if you put a hot dish in the fridge, the fridge will run more until it cools off. It won't harm any other foods in the fridge, just your electric bill.

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi,

what I have learned is that I need to concentrate on eating healthy rather than just counting calories. Of course, I have to be careful not to eat too much but I never feel guilty after eating an extra piece of fruit. If I can offer you any advice, it would be to eat a clean diet and not rely on pre-packaged food too much. It has a lot of additives. I am not saying all of it is bad but do not only eat that.

I used to count my calories in the past, eat food that I thought was good for me but looking back, I was mainly concentrating on number of calories, which I do not think was a good idea now.

So, you said you do not know how to cook. You will learn with time and Bartfull gave you great tips. I am impressed that she can cook for a whole week. I usually make a soup that can last me 2 days. Other things, I have to cook every day but I got used to it and I rediscovered my love for cooking.

Even if you do not know/recognize some veggies/fruits, try them. I learned to try new things when I was traveling. 

I know you also said you do not have much energy to exercise. Food is the fuel for your body. The better food you eat, more strength and energy you will have. Going back to calories - don't forget that some fat is good and we need it. For example, avocados, nuts, salmon, olive oil may seem to be fattening and high in calories, but they are amazing for your body so if you can, you should definitely eat them. At this point, everything you eat, you need to think what it does for your body. I think that if you take away gluten-free snacks such as cookies would be a good start.

When it comes to freezing something (e.g. meat), I have always let it cool down first before putting it in plastic bags and freezer. I am not sure if my reasoning makes any sense, but since I heard that even plastic bottles are not good for us to drink water from it, putting warm/hot food in plastic bags just makes me a bit nervous. I might be completely wrong but that is how I freeze anything.  

Some quick food ideas -

- Sweet potatoes (I cut them into wedges and coat them with olive oil and bake them in the oven).

- chicken wings ( just put turmeric or other gluten-free spices you like, again with the olive oil and baked them in the oven)

- Take a piece of chicken breast, cut it into smaller pieces, coat with olive oil, put some chopped carrots, cabbage, onions and bake it all in the oven. I separately cook rice and eat it together.

- Chicken soup (put a piece of chicken meat you prefer (I use drumsticks), carrots, onions, garlic, parsley and let it cook for awhile).

- Chicken with broccoli and rice. First fry (using olive oil) chopped chicken breast, add chopped onion and broccoli. In another pot, cook rice and when everything is done, pour rice into the pot where you cooked chicken and veggies and mix it. 

- Tuna salad (my own version =) - Can of tuna, 2-3 cucumbers, garlic, salt if I do not have to much time to prepare something but I often add other veggies. You can add other veggies that you like.

- If you can tolerate eggs and cheese, you can make omelets with veggies and sprinkle with cheese. I stopped eating eggs for now but I hope to reintroduce them after some time. It is so easy to make and delicious.

- Quick snacks - peanut butter with apples, bananas - fruit smoothies - It is super tasty to cut an apple, put some walnuts, and drizzle it with honey =).

Lastly, use some of these internet pages where you can count calories just to have a general idea how many calories you are eating. Enter some food that you have eaten thus far to get an idea how many have you been eating. When I was worried that I was not eating enough when I was not at home, someone suggested that I use myfitnesspal.com to see exactly how many calories I was eating. I used to use this website when I was counting calories in the past. Now, I sometimes use it just to make sure I eat enough. Also, try pinterest.com. I look up recipes all the time.

These days, I only walk. For someone who used to regularly run, spin 3 times a week, lift weights, etc, one could expect that I would gain weight but since I eat super healthy, I have not gained any. I have stayed away from all processed/pre-packaged food for at least a month now and I really think it helped me feel better.

Of course, checking cholesterol and thyroid is good to do as well. 

Do not be too hard on yourself. Getting healthy should be your priority now.  Good luck. 

• 3 months later...
Galixie Contributor
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 5:02 PM, LookingforAnswers15 said:

I know you also said you do not have much energy to exercise. Food is the fuel for your body. The better food you eat, more strength and energy you will have.

I find myself trying to explain this to pretty much everyone, so I'll just explain it here too:

I have a couple of forms of anemia. One of them is treatable with B12 injections and the other is largely untreatable. This means that nothing I eat will increase my energy levels. (Neither form of my anemia are treatable through food or oral supplements.) It also means that I never get that 'second wind' that is supposed to happen when exercising. When I overdo my level of activity the fatigue is long-lasting and debilitating. It's a bit like having a bad flu where you are too weak to stand up, except having that weak feeling last for days or weeks at a time.

So I have to approach exercise with caution. Currently I have built up to 75 minutes of walking each week. Unfortunately my level of fatigue has also noticeably increased and, despite attempts to cut back on total calories consumed, I have yet to see any progress. Based on the math, this approach should be making a difference. I am not sure why it isn't. I plan to see if my naturopath has any further suggestions for me.

Archived