This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

can't figure out what is glutening me

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

There is something that has been glutening me the last several weeks and I can't figure it out. I don't know what in the world it is. I am so frustrated. I ate a gluten-free hot dog yesterday and had some food for life cookies. Not sure if that was it. But every few days something is getting me to react. 

What can I safely eat for a few days to test what it is. I eat almond milk in my coffee.  I'm wondering if the coffee is too strong or just what it could be. My gut is in a knot and I keep having painful loose stool. 

I just want to be better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2lonedogs Newbie

Wow, you probably have a long way to go... It's not just gluten many people have found out. Since it wrecks your autoimmune system, your body treats all kinds of foods as invaders and attacks them with those same gluten type symptoms and others. To give you some hints at what may be doing it, I avoid all dairy, grains, fruit, chemicals ( preservatives, baking soda, baking powder) soy, nuts. Basically I eat only veggies and fresh meats. Chemicals make my brain fog-up and nausea/ tired takes over for a few hours. Watch for bloating, gas and diarrhea after meals. I'm in my early 60s so joint paint is an issue because food intolerance creates taut muscles which puts pressure on your joints... Creates pulled muscles, muscle cramping and joint pain. 

If you weigh yourself every day, you can also detect issues by sudden weight gain overnight of 2-3 lbs ( in my case. )

Have been at this 2 years and I feel 30 yrs old again most days except when I try another food that doesn't work... Whether you like it or not, you are now your own personal human test subject. Good luck in your efforts... Check back here often!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi, I noticed that you use almond milk, and thought I'd pass along something that I learned while doing a dairy free trial a while back and subbed almond milk for dairy in my daily tea.

A lot of commercial almond milks contain carrigeenan, which can cause pretty severe intestinal irritation in some people.  It's *not* a gluten issue, but it's something to consider if you're trying to figure out what's bothering you.  At any rate, I hope you get to the source of your discomfort:)

cyclinglady Grand Master
19 minutes ago, jerseyangel said:

Hi, I noticed that you use almond milk, and thought I'd pass along something that I learned while doing a dairy free trial a while back and subbed almond milk for dairy in my daily tea.

A lot of commercial almond milks contain carrigeenan, which can cause pretty severe intestinal irritation in some people.  It's *not* a gluten issue, but it's something to consider if you're trying to figure out what's bothering you.  At any rate, I hope you get to the source of your discomfort:)

Excellent suggestion!  I had issues with xanthan gum found in most commercial breads.   I also can not eat anything with a sausage casing.  It comes right back up after a few hours suffering nausea.  Not a gluten issue, just a "me" problem.  

Does almond yogurt have carrageenan? Could it be am probiotic? It is gluten-free tho.

jerseyangel Proficient

Carrageenan is used as a thickener, to enhance texture, it's not a probiotic.  If it's in a product, it will be listed as such on the ingredient list.

tbiz Newbie

I was gluten free for months and still having the same nagging gluten symptoms. That is until i finally put it together that I felt worse after corn containing products. Turns out, corn has its own form of gluten. Most people with a gluten issue can tolerate corn gluten just fine, but some cannot. I feel much much better since going corn free, as much as it's stunk giving up some of my favorites (i was a soda junkie beforehand!)

I'm hoping that after some healing time I can slowly reintroduce corn into my diet in small amounts simply for the fact that it's in A LOT of stuff!! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I keep thinking about it. Could it be my probiotic? Can I not tolerate all probiotics right now? Recently I tried two different ones that claim to be gluten-free. I was thinking it may be my Udi's bread. Then I was thinking it may be the food for life chocolate chips. But I started retaking probiotics recently as well, after a long break. I used to take them ok I think. But I have to consider ALL foods or meds. 

Is there a fool proof probiotic that you can think of? If so, please let me know. Can I get probiotic in foods other than dairy?

• 3 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Food products like hot dogs, cookies and bread all have multiple ingredients which can play hell on a gut that is still struggling to heal.  Stick with fresh, whole, clean foods for at least 6 months and then slowly introduce one of your favorite goodies, like a hot dog, and see how you do.   If a food product has ingredients, then it is not a whole clean food.  Bake a piece of chicken with some spices, roast or steam some veggies, bake a sweet potato & pour a little coconut oil on it.  Yummy, good for you and ingredient free!  Help for your healing gut!

Archived