This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiacs who struggle with dairy...a2 milk?

DandelionH

DandelionH Apprentice

I'm sure this has been covered here but I'm not debating the theory... more just looking for your personal experiences :)

I started eating dairy again recently and am thrilled that yoghurt and probably cheese have no ill effect.
I even got up the guts (ha) to start drinking coffee at the local coffee shop...WITH MILK. As in... not even fermented. JUST MILK.
At first I had Lacteese to cover my bases/break associations... and after a few days I didn't take it and... STILL NOTHING.
Success! Repeated every day for about 6 days. Lactose and I are buds.

But. Yesterday I got coffee from somewhere else and had the same old dairy symptoms (I think).... and it could be due to the heat wave that hatched here or hormones (that time of the month) so I'm not jumping to conclusions but I did just find out upon returning to local cafe that they use Jersey milk...

Seems unlikely to be the cause though because I don't think cheese was bad and that's still got protein in it... unlike icecream which also had a1 milk and was ok...

Are you a celiac who struggles with dairy but tolerates a2? Or?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Dandelion.......I think you may have solved one of my life's greatest mysteries for the past year!  ;)  I read your post and had to admit...what the hell is a1/a2 milk?  I am in the States and thought you might be from Europe or the UK so I did a google to see what this milk was all about.  This is what I came up with.......

Open Original Shared Link

There were many references to a1/a2 milk on the internet but I had never heard of it.  But here is my story so see what you think!

I went on a trip to England in October of 2014, one of many I have made over the past 20 years.  I was diagnosed with Celiac in 2005 and have never really gained much dairy back.  I can eat harder cheeses and some yoghurt, in limited amounts but forget milk, pudding, or ice cream. I would get sick.  Soooooooo......I was in a restaurant in London on the day I landed and was so tired from jet lag but needed to eat. The restaurant is called Cote', a chain, and they have a very good gluten-free menu. French food....yum!  I ordered this fish pie because you can't get French fish pie in the States unless you make it yourself.  Of course, it is in a milk based sauce but I was tired and it was calling my name.

Yes, it was delicious and I figured I would just deal with the discomfort so I could have this great meal. Well, the next day I felt fine.  Odd, I thought, as I could not do that at home.  So, I became more daring. I ate more dairy than I do here at home. I bought delicious milk from your local stores and it was not 1% milk fat that they have in the States but 4% full fat milk that was so creamy and good, I loved it. I never actually drank a glass of milk but used it freely in my tea. I ate meals with cream sauces at French restaurants, put milk in my tea, and had those great Cadbury's dairy milk chocolates I wish I could get here. I felt great the whole vacation and my gut felt even better than the good it feels when I am here in the States.

As you can imagine, I was going crazy trying to figure out what the hell was going on that I can have dairy with no issues across the Pond and not be able to tolerate much at all here at home.  I then returned to reality and the first thing I did was trial some dairy and it was an immediate no go!  For the past year, I have still been trying to figure it out and now you post this thread that has got me seriously wondering if there is anything to this?  Maybe the reason I do well with cheese is that I buy a lot of imported cheeses from France, Britain, Spain and Italy????????  The company in the article says they are going to try and market the a2 milk in the States again so I am going to find out if I can buy this somewhere here and give it a go. I will say that I agree with the article.....the milk I had in England was so much creamier than the milk here. Of course, Americans are afraid of milk and drink this watered down stuff. That is what I like about Europeans....they are not afraid of their food.  After eating there many times, I have come to the conclusion that your food and milk is better than here in the States. It just is!  :)  Thanks for bringing this subject up!

squirmingitch Veteran

This is amazingly interesting. Yes, thanks for bringing this subject up Dandelion!

DandelionH Apprentice

Glad to inspire some experimentation!
I'm personally hoping that, as big dairy corporations say (and can be the case with some health-conscious fads of course), it's an unsubstantiated myth because eating any dairy is easier than eating specific dairy but then... it's working for a lot of people I know who are 'lactose intolerant' and feeling good is good, regardless of how.

I'm going to try the regular milk again when stomach totally settled (after today. Not as bad as yesterday but still not quite right) and compare it. But still baffled as to why the cheese seemed to be ok...

squirmingitch Veteran

I thankfully don't have any problem with dairy but I do have friends who have big problems with it. As soon as I read the article in the link Gemini provided, I sent the link to my friends. One already answered back. I knew her husband, whom I used to work for, couldn't drink milk or eat ice cream but I didn't know he can, however, have cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, which I think is odd. Nobody has explained that either.

So there are mysteries we still don't know the answers to. I can understand him being able to eat sour cream and some cheeses but I don't understand the cream cheese.

cyclinglady Grand Master

A2 milk is being sold in California.  I actually saw it tonight at Stater Bros.  

DandelionH Apprentice

Yep, it's everywhere! But also just in the form of milk sold as Guersey or Jersey (aka most of Europe's milk and a bit of it here in Aust.) or sheep and goat products.

Had a glass of it at 2. It's 5 now. Still rockin'. But as above, maybe the last one was coincidence so tomorrow I test 'normal' (but tasty) organic milk and determine what sort of milk is the first I buy for my fridge in 10 years! Squee! Excite! ehehe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
10 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

A2 milk is being sold in California.  I actually saw it tonight at Stater Bros.  

I found a store in NH that stocks this milk.  My father lives in NH and I am visiting this Christmas so I am going to try and buy some and test it out.  It's right on the way to his house.  I am not so much interested in becoming a milk drinker again but it would be nice to enjoy a good cream sauce or pudding now and again. I also could use all the calcium I can get!

Archived