This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten free and still stomach issues

Momfor2bs

Momfor2bs Rookie

Need some help.  I have been gluten free since August.  I was feeling better (joint pain gone, muscle strength better and not as tired) eating seemed to be better until about three weeks ago.  When I eat ANYTHING it feels like I ate a seven course meal and feel overly stuffed.  It feels like it just sits on the middle of my stomach up toward the top and I get bad gas pains.  I can even hear my stomach making noise.  I am taking a daily probiotic and before every meal I take Digest-All.  I'm hungry and want/eat food, but hate the feeling after I eat.  I just called my GI doctor and he told me to take Phazyme.  I was diag. via a biopsy for Celiac, but just wondering if something else could be going on.  Any words of wisdom would be great since i'm still new to all of this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

If you're sure you are totally gluten-free (No gluten sneaking in by way of medications or supplements, or cross-contamination), it could be another food intolerance rearing its ugly head. Dairy would be the first suspect, followed by corn and/or soy. The way to find out would be to eliminate them all until you are feeling better, then add back one at a time.

I went through it. I never lost dairy but it took three and a half years until I got corn and soy back. I still try to avoid them as much as possible but if I do get exposed I don't get sick.

It really stinks that other intolerances crop up to make our lives miserable, but it happens to a lot of us. :angry::(

Dianaw Newbie

It could also be something like gastroparesis.  That's when the stomach doesn't empty properly and the food just sits there fermenting.  People with this have to have a liquid heavy diet.

Momfor2bs Rookie

Gastroparesis?  Does this go hand in hand with Celiac disease sometimes?  I just don't understand how I was feeling better and doing pretty good and now this. 

Debbie S. Newbie

I was diagnosed in 1975 with celiac but not by biopsy, it was not yet the gold standard.  Avoided all the gluten-free products on the market then since they were awful and made my own using mainly rice flour, etc.  Just did without breads and most baked goods. gluten-free for 30 yrs. In 2005 told couldn't have celiac - don't have either of the genes required.  Still sensitive to gluten but just recently started to eat the newer gluten-free products.  They really bother my gut/gluten sensitivity.  After researching, seems that they all contain Xanthum Gum - it is also in many products that would otherwise be naturally gluten free.  I believe that many who think they have a dairy sensitivity may really be reacting to Xanthum Gum since it is in many ice creams, yogurts, cottage cheese, etc - all of which do not bother me if they do not have Xanthum Gum in them.  Many with Irritable Bowel are bothered by it.  You might try eating nothing with Xanthum gum as well as no gluten and see if that helps.  Many discussions of people with gastro issues online that have found Xanthum gum to be the culprit.  Most of the recipes in Bette Hagman's gluten-free cookbooks use Xanthum gum in the baked goods. Betty Crocker's gluten-free mixes have it too.  Avoid and see what happens.  Good luck.  (All probiotics tried also bother me.)

organic fingers Newbie

I solved my other food intolerances by taking 1500mg glucosamine every day after  my main meal. I regained weight , reversed anaemia + a v. upset gut. I had read online re lectins in food which cause intolerance. Dr  Michael Cutler had written on this subject. Apparently, certain substances including glucosamine act as a decoy for lectins. I'm strictly gluten free still, but now feel well + no longer have to keep a food diary.

organic fingers

Archived