This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Limiting cross-contam from non-Celiac kids at parties

I'm a glutant

I'm a glutant Rookie

I know this isn't strictly a question about managing a Celiac child, but I thought I'd post here because this is where the parents are.

I have Celiac myself, and I'm very sensitive to even tiny amounts of cross-contamination.  I keep a completely gluten-free house.  But I have toddlers, age 2 and 4, who so far aren't showing symptoms and have tested negative.  My problem comes up when they're invited to toddler birthday parties and the like -- there are always gluten-filled treats and cake, and so far I do let them have these treats.  But since I'm taking care of them, wiping their hands, etc, I keep getting sick afterward.  I do ask my husband to directly handle them as much as possible in this way, but he can't always come along, or else they've run to me and pawed me before I can stop them.  I take off their clothes as soon as we're home, and there we wash hands very carefully with soap -- but despite my best efforts, I'm getting CC from them.  Any tips? 

I know this will be easier when they're older, and don't need my help with every little thing -- but for now, I'm hoping for ideas.  I don't want to limit them too much (missing parties altogether, or forbidding these treats), since so far they don't have signs of Celiac themselves...

Many thanks, in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you tried putting on gloves when you are cleaning them? My job has me working around other peoples crumbs all day and I have been okay cleaning even the biggest messes. I use a non-latex unpowdered gloves like you would use for medical purposes. It helps me be safe perhaps it would also help you.

Another thing you may want to try is giving the kids 'painter smocks' to wear over their regular clothes while they are eating. Then put on your gloves bag them up and have someone else shake them out before you put them in the wash.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Getting glutened is no fun when you have little ones that need your care.

squirmingitch Veteran

I know this sounds silly but are you washing their faces as well as their hands? Kiddos get food all over their faces even if only from touching their faces with their gluten hands.

I like Ravens idea about the nitrile gloves.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
2 minutes ago, squirmingitch said:

I know this sounds silly but are you washing their faces as well as their hands? Kiddos get food all over their faces even if only from touching their faces with their gluten hands.

Good point and at two sometimes even the hair might need a quick wipe down with a damp cloth!

I'm a glutant Rookie
4 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Have you tried putting on gloves when you are cleaning them? My job has me working around other peoples crumbs all day and I have been okay cleaning even the biggest messes. I use a non-latex unpowdered gloves like you would use for medical purposes. It helps me be safe perhaps it would also help you.

Another thing you may want to try is giving the kids 'painter smocks' to wear over their regular clothes while they are eating. Then put on your gloves bag them up and have someone else shake them out before you put them in the wash.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Getting glutened is no fun when you have little ones that need your care.

Great ideas - I will try the gloves and smocks.  I really appreciate the suggestions! 

You are so right about the "no fun" -- the number of times they've been banging on the bathroom door, and no mommy REALLY can't come out right this minute!  Ha.   :-P

I'm a glutant Rookie
4 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Good point and at two sometimes even the hair might need a quick wipe down with a damp cloth!

Excellent idea about the two-year-old's hair, as well.

I'm a glutant Rookie
4 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

I've been cleaning their faces with a wipe, at the party right after they eat -- but I haven't done a more thorough face wash with soap once we get home.  Come to think of it, maybe they just both need to go straight to the bath whenever we first get home, instead of waiting until almost bedtime!  I've changed their clothes right away, but maybe that's not enough.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran
12 minutes ago, I'm a glutant said:

I've been cleaning their faces with a wipe, at the party right after they eat -- but I haven't done a more thorough face wash with soap once we get home.  Come to think of it, maybe they just both need to go straight to the bath whenever we first get home, instead of waiting until almost bedtime!  I've changed their clothes right away, but maybe that's not enough.

That might be a good idea. I don't think a wipe will get the gluten off or not all of the gluten off anyway. I agree with Raven about the hair as well. And then there is the neck and the arms. Yep, a bath might be the best course of all.

Archived