This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taking my 1st cruise

zenjess1980

zenjess1980 Contributor

I'll be taking my first cruise in 1 month. Are cruises gluten free friendly? 

-Jessica 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Check with your cruise line.  You have to notify them in advance.  We eat ONLY in the dining room.  No buffet or room service as these areas may not have been trained to take precautions.  

G0322290524 Newbie

I spent about 8 months preparing for my cruise.  I made a list of things I could have and things they should not use for the CHEF to follow.  I talked with the cruise line HEADQUARTERS (and made note of the date and name of staff member I talked to) and got permission to bring my own toaster for them to use as well as my own gluten free bread.  I packed a lunch kit (insulated) and they agreed to make me a lunch to take with me on excursions so that I did not take any chances while away from the ship.  They spent about 1-1/2 hours with me when we arrived on board and they took my list and they assigned me 1 CHEF for the duration of the cruise.  The staff were amazing, my meals were done perfectly & I did not get ill.   Even if I needed a cheese tray or salad I had the same chef.  I never ate from the buffet and if I had a reservation in fine dining, the same CHEF took care of my needs.  I traveled with Carnival and they did an amazing job!!  Good luck.

zenjess1980 Contributor

Awesome. Thank you for sharing your experiences and suggestions! Feeling more hopeful :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

I forgot.  You should contact the cruise line and request the gluten-free diet before your trip.   Check your contract and /or your agent.  

Happy sailing!  

zenjess1980 Contributor
9 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I forgot.  You should contact the cruise line and request the gluten-free diet before your trip.   Check your contract and /or your agent.  

Happy sailing!  

Thanks, I'll make sure to call :) 

BDD Apprentice
On 4/5/2016 at 11:31 AM, G0322290524 said:

I spent about 8 months preparing for my cruise.  I made a list of things I could have and things they should not use for the CHEF to follow.  I talked with the cruise line HEADQUARTERS (and made note of the date and name of staff member I talked to) and got permission to bring my own toaster for them to use as well as my own gluten free bread.  I packed a lunch kit (insulated) and they agreed to make me a lunch to take with me on excursions so that I did not take any chances while away from the ship.  They spent about 1-1/2 hours with me when we arrived on board and they took my list and they assigned me 1 CHEF for the duration of the cruise.  The staff were amazing, my meals were done perfectly & I did not get ill.   Even if I needed a cheese tray or salad I had the same chef.  I never ate from the buffet and if I had a reservation in fine dining, the same CHEF took care of my needs.  I traveled with Carnival and they did an amazing job!!  Good luck.

This is great information! You don't by chance still have that list??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

G0322290524 Newbie
1 hour ago, BDD said:

This is great information! You don't by chance still have that list??

Yes, I do just in case I take another cruise.  I am willing to email a copy to you if you provide me with your email address.  I have very serious Celiac Disease, as well as Diabetes and I am very allergic to sesame products (seeds/paste/oil), so my list goes over that too.  It may seem too much to ask them, but they followed the list and I was never sick...so I think it paid off.  Anyway, if you want a copy I'd have to go into mine and take my name and pertinent info out of it.   Please let me know.  Thanks.

BDD Apprentice
16 minutes ago, G0322290524 said:

Yes, I do just in case I take another cruise.  I am willing to email a copy to you if you provide me with your email address.  I have very serious Celiac Disease, as well as Diabetes and I am very allergic to sesame products (seeds/paste/oil), so my list goes over that too.  It may seem too much to ask them, but they followed the list and I was never sick...so I think it paid off.  Anyway, if you want a copy I'd have to go into mine and take my name and pertinent info out of it.   Please let me know.  Thanks.

That would be amazing! Thank you so much!!! I am sending you a message with my email.

Thank you again! (:

MissyBB Explorer

What cruise line are you sailing on? We were on Carnival last March. GREAT experience with gluten-free. They knew who I was at every table/dining room seating and always had a gluten-free menu for me. And, weirdest thing.....we signed on for a wine tasting. We get there and sit down and, low and behold, ALL the other people had crackers on their plate and mine had NONE. Yes, they were THAT good!

We even sat down for brunch one day (which is different than your regular dining room table seating) and they KNEW who I was and brought me a gluten-free brunch menu without being asked.

Carnival is VERY gluten-free friendly. They even have gluten-free pizza at the walk-up pizza place.

I was very impressed! Just tell them when you get on the ship that you are gluten-free. Go to the dining room BEFORE any dinner services and let them know.

zenjess1980 Contributor

Thank you everyone. We are taking Carnival. Great to hear they are gluten free savvy :)

Archived