This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mucos In Stool

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

I have been noticing mucos in my stool again :blink: (I know, gross) ...... and I don't remember....... is this a sign of malnutrition or could this be nothing at all? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
I have been noticing mucos in my stool again  :blink: (I know, gross) ...... and I don't remember....... is this a sign of malnutrition or could this be nothing at all?  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you gluten-free right now? Have you had gluten? How long have you had celiac disease? I think it's your body's way of protecting itself from what it considers harmful, rightly or wrongly. Mucus in stools is one of the symptoms of celiac disease.

danikali Enthusiast

Hi,

I have been 100% gluten free starting only Monday actually. I'm actually still in the process of being diagnosed. I just got blood tests done and sent in samples to enterolab; I'm waiting on results from everything, still.

Anyway, I know I have a problem with gluten though because I have tried the gluten free diet before, and felt a lot better, but kept getting "glutened" when I would eat any processed foods or from resturants because I was naive on all of the hidden products that use it. Anyway, I went back on gluten to get the tests done and was sick as a dog everyday, and now I am almost feeling like myself again. Some of the symptoms have been subsiding, and I have A LOT more energy and my arms and muscles don't feel so weak. But for the past couple of days, I've noticed mucos in my stool again and I was just wondering......... <_<

I guess my question is: mucos in your stool isn't normal, right? Because I know when I was diagnosed with "IBS" and did A LOT of research on it, I learned that mucos in the stool was a sign of IBS (I don't believe in IBS now)........but I'm kinda wondering all of this because if muscos in the stool goes along with the doctor favorite, "IBS," and "IBS" suposedly does not "harm" your body, then that means mucos in the stool doesn't mean that your body is being "harmed?"

I don't know......I hope I didn't confuse you! :blink:

Thanks for any help though! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Candy Contributor

Hi Ya,

I noticed mucus in my stools too, just recently, and I had already suspected Celiac for quite a few months.When I saw the mucus I thought God,I'm dying.It wasn't a whole lot of mucus,but it was noticable.I haven't seen it since and have been eating gluten free products only recently,but I feel no discomfort,see no more mucus,so I guess it was the Gluten.I avoid it with more determination now.

Hi Ya,

I noticed mucus in my stools too, just recently, and I had already suspected Celiac for quite a few months.When I saw the mucus I thought God,I'm dying.It wasn't a whole lot of mucus,but it was noticable.I haven't seen it since and have been eating gluten free products only recently,but I feel no discomfort,see no more mucus,so I guess it was the Gluten.I avoid it with more determination now.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I noticed mine seem a bit off if I've had something greasy - chips, bacon, etc. Have you tried keeping a food log?

jerseyangel Proficient

I had the mucus also pre DX. It continued even after I cut out gluten, but after the first couple of months, dissapeared. I never have a problem with it now, even if glutened.

jenvan Collaborator

Your body produces some mucous normally to help lube up the intestines...however, increased mucous can be a sign of intestinal irritation--which goes along with Celiac. A little more info on it here: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I get this too. It concerns me because I know the intestinal wall consists of a mucosal wall that is one cell thick and is supposed to keep the intestinal contents out of the blood stream. So when I see mucos in my stool, I'm always afraid it's this precious wall!

ownedbykira Newbie

May I ask ...what does mucus in the stool look like, it is not like white gooey stuff attached to the stool

jerseyangel Proficient

Pretty much...

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I had alot of mucus pre-gluten-free....I never see it anymore though.

May I ask ...what does mucus in the stool look like, it is not like white gooey stuff attached to the stool

The mucus I was seeing looked like ummm....well... it looked like mucus. :huh:

Sorry, yes, it was gooey stuff mixed in the stool...it looked kind of clear I guess. Well, it looked like it would have been clear had it not been in the stool. Sometimes it would be very visible like a long strand of mucus.

Sorry to be so graphic but I was just answering the question. :P

Pretty much...

:lol::lol:

Good answer Patti. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

I figured it was easier that way :D

Archived