This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Healing badly

MonaDan

MonaDan Rookie

Hi everyone.

Just looking for a bit of advice/support, really.

I was diagnosed a ceoliac around late April. I can't eat gluten, dairy, or soya. I'm also reacting to corn, which I found out the hard way. Anyway, I've had some slip-ups of cc which have been painful. I know this sets me back a lot. Aside from my slipups, I've been eating healthily - fruit, veg, fish, etc. No processed food apart from the gluten free bread (Warburton's Bakehouse), my butter substitute spread, and now and again a slice of vitalife cheese.

However, I'm still getting days where I feel so ill. I've been bloated and a bit constipated recently which are both big signs for me, yet can't figure it out. I work in a cafe but wear gloves in the kitchen and I'm very careful.

I have gluten-free body products and my washing up liquid is safe. Is this all normal? Today my tummy has been bloated and hard. I just can't figure it out. Does this happen to us all, or am I being inadvertently glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Two months is not long enough to heal.  Give yourself more time.  The learning curve is steep for the gluten-free diet.  Check out our Newbie 101 thread under the "Coping" section.    It takes most of us a year or longer to heal.  Remember, this is an autoimmune disorder.  A flare-up triggered by gluten can last for weeks or months.  

Do they bake in your cafe?  Wheat Flour can stay airborne for a while and it can be swallowed.  Is that bread free of Xanthan Gum? I have an intolerance to that and at first thought I was getting glutened.  

I wish you well!  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Mona,

It is pretty early in your recovery, so yeah, things can be kind of rough for a while.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and identify problem foods though.  If I was you, I'd start by eliminating the vitalife cheese and Wharburton's bread, both are processed foods.  The other thing is to be sure you wash or use clean silverware and plates etc for your meals.  Gluten contamination is easy to avoid by just rinsing things quickly in running water.

Carbs and sugar are not your friend during the healing process.  They feed bacteria and cause gas and bloating.  So try and avoid them if possible.  Our guts are damaged and that screws up the gut flora.  Healing in the gut will help restore a balance but it takes time.  Eating a clean, whole foods diet is important and helpful to healing.  Simple foods with minimal ingredients are good.  It's not about having an exciting meal, but rather a safe meal.  Remember, you are on a medical diet and that means you can't eat like other people.  I am sure some will disagree as there are many gluten-free foods available nowadays.  But mostly you should avoid those while you are healing.  They are usually heavy on carbs and calories and low on nutrients.  Just the opposite of what you need to heal.

Try to concentrate on getting lots of protein to help the healing.  Meats, veggies (well cooked), nuts, fruits, eggs are good.  Whole foods should be the main part of your diet every day.

All that being said though, it's still a recovery process, and it can take months to a year or more to feel completely well.

Gemini Experienced

I have had Warburton's bread when on vacation in the UK and it is delicious!  Their wraps are the best I have ever had anywhere.  I do not have a problem with their products but I have been diagnosed for 11 years now. I think they are a dedicated facility, if I remember correctly.  You have quite a few intolerances right now so that probably plays into it more than not being able to handle bread.  I handled bread well right away but only have trouble with gluten and dairy.  I am sure that as a few more months go by, you will feel better. It can be slow but it definitely takes more than a couple of months.  Have you tried using digestive enzymes?  Many docs recommend them for at least a year in the beginning. They can really help with breaking down food, which may be difficult for you right now.

• 2 weeks later...
vkral Newbie

I'm having a very similar experience, including the timing.

The combination of how long it takes to feel better and how easy it is to make dietary errors is a real double-whammy. It's soooo frustrating.

Timea Newbie

Dear Everybody,

I'm Tímea from Hungary, Europe. Why im here is, that my Dad (63 years old) is very sick and depressed etc....In hungary, people dont talk about celiac and doctors dont know about it nothing. He went to 2 naturopaths and they said, the problem is the gluten and laktose, but its very serious. 

My Dad's health problem started 7 years ago, he went to many doctors, got a lot of pills, (antibiotics, antidepressants) and in the end they said he has problem in his head, means: We cant help. So, he started the very strickt diet (he is living alone, cooks, etc...) in february but until now he didint feel better. Im the only one in the family, who read about it and try to find a solution because now he does not want to live anymore and im afraid very much. 

His main problems are: muscle spasm, burning feet, burning sensation on the skin and burning sensation on the reproductives too. And he feels worse now then in february. for ex.: 1 mont ago when he is peeing, it hurts. And the worst position is the sitting, in the car. He cant sit. when he is on the bed, its better. And of course he lost weight. So please, if someone has an idea whats going on and when will he feel better, please write me. And i also would like to ask if the malabsorption starts working, what he will feel first? (we are waiting for the good signs)

Thank you very much,

Tímea

Archived