This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Energy rush/happiness as a 'symptom'...

DandelionH

DandelionH Apprentice

Hi... so... this is going to sound weird... and admittedly it's probably not 'gluten' per se but ... I was miserable for decades and have had a better year  (or rather, the year has been the same as many but my baseline emotions are just happier and less moody. Nutrition is such a good thing!)  following diagnosis so I wouldn't say gluten was making me happy back then. But. Now.
Whenever I get glutened... it does?
Does that mean my diagnosis could be wrong and I'm 'meant' to eat it? Or something?
The diagnosis is under fire because the doctor who did my blood tests a year ago (because of symptoms and malnutrition and a mother and grandmother with it)  'might' have mixed them up so I started a gluten challenge (again!) 2 days ago and expected to feel wiped out. But I didn't. A few weird body things happened but mentally I had this rush of energy and happiness. I know that sounds like it could be a 'yay maybe I'm NOT Coeliac?!' thing but I have actually loved the foods and lifestyle I've found since diagnosis and would have no problem continuing (other than being keen to make a vegetarian lifestyle I abandoned at least temporarily, more doable again. THAT is more exciting than eating wheat would be. And realising how excited I was about that has made me keen to try it even gluten-free).
It didn't feel like 'happiness' per se. But more like... I don't know what. I didn't sleep. I couldn't sleep. I never used to sleep and about 6 months ago for the first time in my life I started sleeping 8 or 9 hours. Last night I was perfectly content and tired etc. but just... didn't sleep.
I'll see how the stomach stuff progresses (really not that bad! I used to have horrible pains all the time etc. but this isn't that! Just...loose...bowels. So far, anyway...) and continue the challenge and such of course and get my bloods done AGAIN for antibodies but I'm just curious after reading so much flatness and apathy and sadness and anger described as symptoms, whether anyone gets some kind of adrenaline rush or something when they're glutened? Or it was unrelated. I've had this happen before when I ate it by accident, too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
15 hours ago, DandelionH said:

I wouldn't say gluten was making me happy back then. But. Now.
Whenever I get glutened... it does?
Does that mean my diagnosis could be wrong and I'm 'meant' to eat it? Or something? 

No I don't believe so, perhaps quite the reverse. I nearly said this on the other thread we talked on, when you mentioned how delighted you were you could eat wheat protein.  Google gluten opiod and have a quick look here and elsewhere about the odd ways gluten can interact with the brain...

Disclaimer: speculation follows...

I think for some of us gluten has an addictive quality, a lot of celiacs and gluten intolerants craved it before going gluten-free, I know I did. I think the fact the food is giving you this intense reaction is a pretty good signifier that it has an unusual hold over you. In itself that to me seems like a warning sign? It's speculation on my part. But for many it seems kicking gluten is a bit like kicking a drug habit, perhaps because its hitting the same pleasure receptors in the brain? 

To be honest with a grandmother and mother with coeliac plus what you've written here it seems like the diagnosis was spot on, or if it wasn't you're still someone who may be better off avoiding it? 

DandelionH Apprentice

Wow, JMG. That is such useful information! I hadn't thought about or Googled anything along those lines but that's exactly what it (has always) felt like.

It looks (from what I've just read elsewhere thanks to your post) like something not thoroughly researched and perhaps a bit of a myth but so many things start that way before solid research confirms them...
(Or do you have research you can link me to? I just like learning...).
So it held that quality for you too? That's fascinating! Also wondering now whether the binge-eating I used to do as a teenager for a very long time is related... I got it under control but through sheer willpower (and stomach pain) and the urge to do so went away completely went I went gluten-free but I attributed that to food that 'wasn't as good' except that it is (it's actually better because I cook more and have learned about a broader range of foods)! Oh wow...

Thanks also for the opinion on the diagnosis. I've been so confused for about 3 days but I think... I think you're right. And that I'll follow up the gene and antibodies positives with a 'gold standard diagnosis' endoscopy but not right now because I'm about to travel a bit and whilst I don't want to limit my life unnecessarily or for longer than I have to (and travelling with wheat is so much easier!) I also feel like I've spent enough of it missing out on things because I was sick.

One of the best things about going gluten-free has actually been my ability to digest other things, now.
The idea of travelling and suddenly struggling with fats, vegetables, fish, everything all over again is highly unfun...
So the challenge-round-2 waits rather than being a gung-ho blitz after an unpleasant but not unpleasant reaction the other day.
Thankyou!

Jmg Mentor
20 hours ago, DandelionH said:

It looks (from what I've just read elsewhere thanks to your post) like something not thoroughly researched and perhaps a bit of a myth but so many things start that way before solid research confirms them...
(Or do you have research you can link me to? I just like learning...). 

No I agree with you, it's sketchy, hence the disclaimer in the previous post. There's a couple of papers that show up via google and this was interesting:

Open Original Shared Link

but there's no smoking gun and given my experience I always have to guard against seeing gluten as the root of all evil. (There it is in Texas behind the grassy knoll etc... :D). The 'Wheat Belly' guy always strikes me as teetering on the verge of this. Anyway, my 'evidence' is more anecdotal, based on my own experience and observation. To be taken with a pinch of salt no doubt!

There is of course other ways in which celiac may affect mindstate, if you google leaky gut there's a theory that increased permeability in the gut due to gluten intolerance allows amino acids from there into the bloodstream. They could impact on brain function, typically to cause depression if were tryptophan, but perhaps other substances would have different effects which might explain the high?  If you want to read up more Alessio Fassano is a recognised authority and he has a good video online. 

Enjoy the carefree travelling, that's something I miss an awful lot. I hope when you return you get the answers you need. All the best :)

Archived