This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

5m old son needs gluten free dairy free CORN free nut free probiotic!!!

Mbrent8686

Mbrent8686 Newbie

My son was recently diagnosed with dairy gluten corn peanut tomato chicken beef and shellfish allergy and I'm struggling to nurse him. Corn is in everything. I desperately need help finding a probiotic to help us! And just reg vitamins too if anyone knows any! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, Mbrent8686 said:

My son was recently diagnosed with dairy gluten corn peanut tomato chicken beef and shellfish allergy and I'm struggling to nurse him. Corn is in everything. I desperately need help finding a probiotic to help us! And just reg vitamins too if anyone knows any! 

How can you even tell a 5 month old is allergic to corn?  He doesn't eat it.  Do all those things cross over as a protein in breast milk?  You eliminated all those things, one by one, to find out what he was allergic to?

Mbrent8686 Newbie

Yes, I am nursing him. Whatever I eat he eats as well. We have had him scratch tested at the allergist as well to confirm the allergies. All except gluten. I have figured that out by process of elimination. 

GFinDC Veteran

Sauerkarut is supposed to be a good pro-biotic.

emsimms Apprentice

Hello there,

HMF Probiotics by GENESTRA has a huge selection free of all (or most) allergens! They also have a baby version.
I usually order online.
All the best, these must be stressful times for you!

StephanieL Enthusiast

Scratch testing on an infant that age is unusual. What reactions were you seeing that lead to testing?  Also know that allergy testing is only accurate about 50% of the time when there is a positive result.  

As for probiotics- you can check out Custom Probiotics. They were a miracle for our kiddo.  I know they are free of D,E, PN, TN and gluten for sure but you would have to check for corn which we did have to avoid for a while and know it's hard to do on top of all the others. 

Mbrent8686 Newbie

Yes apparently this is an unusual thing that he has already had testing done. I swear every person I talk to that doesn't live in the northern Ohio area find this amazing! Our pediatric allergist is in the Cleveland clinic. We also has a 2 year old daughter that is anaphylactic to dairy peanuts and eggs and just allergic to beef and coconut. She was also tested for the first time at 5m. Both children had severe eczema. My daughters was the worst. To the point of open sores on her face. They were scared she had staph. My sons was getting to that point so clearly I knew it was a food allergy. He would scream and have mucusy stools as well. (I nurse him so whatever I eat he eats).  He also had blood work done which all came back negative. As for knowing the testing isnt 100% accurate, I'm aware thanks. His scratch test told us a different story. But my daughters test results were true at 5m and are still true to this day:) 

thank you for the info for the probiotics! Those seem to be the number one recommendation! I think we will go with them! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I am in NE Ohio. I'm going to guess you see Dr. Melton.  Also, was it wheat that he was dx with? Because there isn't a real gluten allergy though you can be allergic to wheat. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you considered switching him to an hypoallergenic formula since he is reacting to foods you are eating? Then you could start introducing low risk foods to him one at a time when he is ready for solids. For example when he is ready for cereal try cream of buckwheat rather than the more common baby cerealss and whole foods like mashed fruit rather than premade.  Introduce items one at a time for a week to watch for any reactions before adding anything else new.

Mbrent8686 Newbie

Stephanie YESSS! we see doc Melton! Also no he wasn't allergic to wheat and I'm aware of that:) 

ravenwood I have thought about this we are actually seeing the doc today to figure out a game plan. We also tried switching to a hypo formula with my daughter but she still broke out from it. He highest allergy is dairy and there are still milk proteins in the formula. So we are anticipating same results.

StephanieL Enthusiast
4 hours ago, Mbrent8686 said:

Also no he wasn't allergic to wheat and I'm aware of that:) 

You mention gluten in your first post-I'm a little confused. 

A really good food log can often help pinpoint the offending foods when nursing (we did every ingredient, time, reaction time, BM info) to figure it out. I nursed 3 kids with a variety of intolerance/allgery issues over 7 years.  This is what helped find the problems for us. I was very committed to nursing so was willing to do what I could but did look at super specialized formulas if we needed to go there. They proteins are so broken down that they are tolerated by most kiddos but not all. It is very expensive as well (I'm sure you know all this).  I know the Neonate Splash my kid is on now at 9 is $6.50 per "juice box" and they want him on 3-5 day. 

Mbrent8686 Newbie

I have been keeping a diary and that was what lead me to believe he also has a gluten problem. By process of elimination. I made bread with out all of his allergens and he still broke out and had stomach pains. So then I made gluten free bread and he seems to not have any reaction. Is this wrong? Should I have done it differently? Same with noodles we tried reg noodles and he had issues. So I got gluten free noodles and he didn't have any reaction to them. The allergist today (not Melton) ordered blood work but I'm just going to hold off until he is a year. I'm exhausted with all these tests. We tried alimentum with our daughter (similacs hypo formula) and she still broke out from it. So today the doc told us to try the nutrimagen. We may give it a whirl but I'm really only wanting to nurse. I was commited for my last daughter and I really don't want to give up on him:( 

StephanieL Enthusiast

You are doing the best you can Mama!  Please don't think I was trying to judge- I was just relaying our experience was all. Sounds like you've been through the steps.  

The gluten thing may be. I was just trying to clarify when you said he had a gluten allergy that you mentioned in the first post then said it wasn't a wheat allergy.  You can't be allergic to gluten but you can be allergic to the gluten containing grains so I was just trying to understand was all. Thats' why I asked.  

Allergy testing this young really is kind of hit an miss, even more so than when the kiddos get over and it's 50/50. I myself and many I know remove a lot of foods that don't need to be based on erroneous testing and I hate to see that since it can set up other issues. Again, that's why I was asking. If Melton tested for food you WEREN't seeing reactions to I would really seek another opinion because again, false positives are pretty common and definitely in the younger set (we were dx with all of the top 8 expect for wheat, citrus, corn and a few others when blanket tested.  In reality, there were only 4 we did have true allergies to plus Celiac disease so... )  

Allergens can take a while to clear out of breastmilk. Some up to 6 weeks.  Have you considered seeing Dr. Witt in Cleveland?  She specialized in babies and breastfeeding Mom's (we had a tongue tie issue with our 3rd along with other dietary and nursing issues- she's amazing!)  Just an option but I know you are already doing so much. Again, you know your family and what you choose if absolutely the best for them no matter what route you choose!

Archived