This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pets With Cd

plantime

plantime Contributor

An article in one of the back issues of Sott-Free was about animals having celiacs. It made me take a long hard look at my cat, Ally. She is 11 years old (human), and has always had diarhea and vomitting, and looks very scrawny. I asked the vet about it, and she said it is common for cats to lack a digestive enzyme. End of discussion. No treatments, no recommendations. So based on the article I read, I switched her food to only gluten-free. My other cat, Freebee, is Ally's mom, but shows no symptoms, and she does not like the gluten-free food. However, after an initial "withdrawal" period, during which Al was quite ill with shakes, Al started to gain weight (an entire pound in one week!) and had normal stools. Today, I accidently gave them a can of food with wheat starch in it, and Al has been meowing with pain and now has diarhea again! How odd, that my cat exhibits the same symptoms, and cannot get medical help, just like us!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kejohe Apprentice

Dessa,

Your posts makes me smile for two reasons, one becuase my dog, Piglet, has always had stomach issues too, but I always thought she was allergic to beef, so I give her only lamb and rice dry food and she does great. However the idea of our pets having celiac disease would really reinforce the notion that perhaps gluten is toxic to everyone and that there are some of us who are just more sensitive than others. I have believed for a long time now that there isn't really a "celiac disease" but that gluten in general is toxic to everyone.

The second reason is that your cat's name is Freebee. My Dad adopted a street cat a few years ago and called him Freebee because he kept coming to his back door begging for free food, and the name just stuck. Now the cat is a happy, healthy and beautiful. :P

corbintlg Newbie

I was actually diagnosed at 2 with celiac disease because my doctor's dog had it. Doc recognized similar symptoms. Thank god for his dog.

• 1 year later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

But how do dogs and cats get it?

Guest nini

I recently found out that my cat Buggy has it...yep, he does... he's always had food issues, was even dx'ed with an eating disorder several years ago, but within the past year, after our two oldest kitties died from old age within 11 months of each other, Buggy's health really started to decline, vomiting, losing hair in patches, even exhibiting signs of anxiety, after just ONE WEEK on gluten-free cat food he was already a different cat. Now about a month into it and he is looking so much better and not throwing up and his fur has all grown back.

I also believe tha gluten is toxic for everyone and some of us are just more sensitive than others, Celiac is just ONE PIECE of the bigger gluten intolerance puzzle.

VydorScope Proficient

I know its not humorus for your cat to suffer, but our obession with feeding CARNIVORS such as cats and dogs with VEGGIES AND GRAINS is pretty funny... Yea, cause you know that dogs in the wild narturaly grow carrots, wheat, and the like to have a nice salad with the animal they just killed. Yep, they do that right after they stop at the store for some barbaque sauce and gravy......yep tis the natural thing to do if your a CARNAVORE! :D

penguin Community Regular
I know its not humorus for your cat to suffer, but our obession with feeding CARNIVORS such as cats and dogs with VEGGIES AND GRAINS is pretty funny... Yea, cause you know that dogs in the wild narturaly grow carrots, wheat, and the like to have a nice salad with the animal they just killed. Yep, they do that right after they stop at the store for some barbaque sauce and gravy......yep tis the natural thing to do if your a CARNAVORE! :D

Well of course they did! The Great Dog People of Milkboneistan were the first to cultivate the land (organically, of course) while us homosapiens were still figuring out how to build a campfire. Early dogs were actually vegan. Raw vegan. Meanwhile, the Fantastic Felines of Catnipdu were known for their puff pastry. Cats were the first known protesters of the fur trade :rolleyes:

Dogs and cats were not carnivores until the humans stole their land and the Great Dog People and Fantastic Felines were driven into the wild and forced to eat meat, or else made to be kept as slaves to the humans in their homes. I believe scientists have found that all of this history was burned when the Library at Alexandria was destroyed :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Well of course they did! The Great Dog People of Milkboneistan were the first to cultivate the land (organically, of course) while us homosapiens were still figuring out how to build a campfire. Early dogs were actually vegan. Raw vegan. Meanwhile, the Fantastic Felines of Catnipdu were known for their puff pastry. Cats were the first known protesters of the fur trade :rolleyes:

Dogs and cats were not carnivores until the humans stole their land and the Great Dog People and Fantastic Felines were driven into the wild and forced to eat meat, or else made to be kept as slaves to the humans in their homes. I believe scientists have found that all of this history was burned when the Library at Alexandria was destroyed :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done!

Nancym Enthusiast

I started feeding my cat raw meats and he has finally stopped vomiting! He always vomited, even when I found all-meat cans of food in the grocery store, he'd vomit that too. It is more expensive but my puddy tat is so wort it.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I've read that the breed, Irish Setter, has Celiac the worst of any breed of dog. That Celiac is practically wiping out that breed.

plantime Contributor

Our pets get it the same way we do: genetics. I am not surprised, since they are carnivores! I enjoyed reading the satire and humor! :lol::lol:

Corrine Rookie

Hi, I haven't been on board for many months. But with spring break I have some time. I have always wondered if animals could have celiac. My first schnauzer suffered from ceboria, a skin condition. The vet reconmended lamb and rice. He did okay but not great. He died at age 10 from a heart attack due to an elarged heart. My daughter was already diagnosed with C/D when we brought home our new baby schnauzer. He wouldn't eat. He was on Eukanuba, which I thought was a great brand. I felt that terriers, who are prone to skin disorders could have c/d. Therefore I switched Schultzy over to Nutrience. I've been happy with it. I bake him liver treats and he eat lots of veggies. He loves veggies but not hot on fruit. I think a gluten free diet improves the terrier temperment. Schnauzers tend to be grumpy.

Corrine

VydorScope,

I have to tell you that you have the cutest baby I've ever seen. Love the red hair.

prinsessa Contributor

I have read in quite a few dog books that most of them are allergic to wheat (and corn). I'm not sure if they meant intolerant, but I guess dogs (and cats) aren't supposed to eat wheat or corn. I buy dog food for my dog that is both corn and wheat free. She doesn't really seem to like it too much (but will eat it when she is hungry), but she has always been pretty heathy. The dog food is expensive (about $20 for a small bag), but luckily she is a small dog (Pug) and doesn't eat much.

• 1 month later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

My little Italian dog has develped symptoms like mine.

You know when I had the RAI treatment for my hypo thyroid with the nodule the nuclear tech told me to stay away from my little dog and don't hold him close to my face. He would jump on the bed and you know how they lick your face and etc... I tryed for about a week to keep him away while I was "GLOWING" but I have a feeling it's made him sick and blew out his thyroid too. He is a long haired dog, he is itching and scratching, and licking himself crazy. he doesn't have flees. His long hair is falling out. I find it all over the house. His breed doesn't shed. And he wants to eat and eat himself to death.

I know I asked this question before but how do dogs get celiac disease?

Archived