This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Somebody Help Please!

SickInChicago

SickInChicago Rookie

I would greatly appreciate it if I could get some feedback for some issues I am having. I was diagnosed with Celiac back in February, actually the first time was back when I was 10 but the doctor told me a few days afterwards the test supposedly was a false positive so after basically living in emergency rooms through my teens I decided to pursue the subject once again on my own and whattya know the test was positive after all. Anyways, I have been living gluten free for about 6 months now and although I am nowhere near as sick or in pain as when I was eating gluten as well as my physical and mental health taking a turn for the better including losing 30 pounds I still find myself with a stomach ache or some digestive issues atleast half the time after I eat anything. I've been chalking it up to the fact that I basically poisoned my body for over 20 years so I have no doubt my digestive system would remain sensitive to anything with too much grease, dairy, spice, etc or just large amounts of food in general and it should get better over time as it recovers but I'd really like to know if anybody else had these issues or has any advice on what to do about them because sometimes I feel like I still have to choose between eating and having my stomach hurt or being uncomfortable. I'd also like to know if anybody could explain to me the whole concept of becoming gluten free as far as in your body because I haven't had any real consulting just the diagnosis and I thought you just stopped eating gluten and everything in your body was normal but I see people continuing to get blood tests and watching their gluten levels go down over time which I didn't know was a thing. How exactly does that work and how does continuing to still have any sort of gluten level in the body affect it? Could still having gluten levels in my body be what is causing these symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hello SIC,

Welcome to the forum!

You are right, healing and recovery can take quite a while.  The gluten (gliaden) antibodies will decline over time if you aren't eating gluten.  That takes a variable amount of time for each person.  In some it could happen quickly, but in others it may take months.  The gluten itself doesn't stay in your body long.  It's the antibodies to gluten that cause the symptoms.

Many people can't digest dairy at the beginning, so you might want to stop eating that for a while.

Mandijoy Rookie

I have been gluton and dairy free for a month so I'm still new but was also having pain and some nausea.... last night ate pop corn and had a bad attack.... turns out corn also has gluton in it but it's not considered as a dangerous gluton as of now so most gluton free stuff uses corn.. some people with celiac their body looks at it the same way as a wheat gluton.... so starting today going corn free... i hope this helped... and good luck !!!!!

Mandi

Dmac581 Newbie

I am almost 4 years into knowing that I actually have celiac and fixing it. I was so bad that after 6 months of zero gluten, my levels were only down a little over 50 percent. You need blood tests after 6 months and a year, maybe more depending on the results. The intestinal bunting takes time to repair. Also, just be careful with everything you take in. I was getting gluten from vitamins without knowing. I now take vitamins called Celiact. You can get them from Gluten free mall.com.   I also grind them up for better absorbtion. That makes me feel a lot better. 

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, Mandijoy said:

I have been gluton and dairy free for a month so I'm still new but was also having pain and some nausea.... last night ate pop corn and had a bad attack.... turns out corn also has gluton in it but it's not considered as a dangerous gluton as of now so most gluton free stuff uses corn.. some people with celiac their body looks at it the same way as a wheat gluton.... so starting today going corn free... i hope this helped... and good luck !!!!!

Mandi

That isn't actually true about corn gluten.   The use of the word " gluten" is confusing.  In most of the world, the common use of " gluten" now means the gluten found in wheat, rye and barley.   It is possible to have an additional problem with corn or any other food.

Popcorn is a difficult food to digest.  It seems to be irritating to the GI system.  You might want to skip it until your GI tract has had a chance to heal from the Celiac damage.  For the first few months, I found popcorn to "hurt" when I ate it.  I can eat it now with no problems.

squirmingitch Veteran

SickInChicago,

Let's make sure you're not getting any cross contamination. Read this thread & follow the links contained within it.

And this one too:

I am so sorry to hear that your first doc who did the tests when you were 10 was a complete dumbass as to tell you it was a false positive. There are actually very, very few false positives. False negatives are much more common but false positives are very rare. That doc cost you 20 years of pain not to mention the money for the ER visits. 

So yes, for 20 years you have been eating gluten & poisoning yourself. It's going to take a while for your guts to heal - maybe years. Be kind & gentle to yourself. Try only eating whole foods that are well cooked. That means mushy veggies & fruits as well. Bone broth is great for healing the gut as well as being very, very easy on your gut and packed with nourishment but you have to make it yourself not buy it b/c it's not the same thing as when you make it. Here's a recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

And here's how to do it right or mistakes not to make:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived