This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favourite recipes without weird ingredients

suus

suus Newbie

hey guys I have been gluten free for almost a year now,
looking at gluten free recipes they often contain a lot of weird ingredients that aren't easy to get.
What are your favourite gluten free recipes for dinner or snacks?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fundog Enthusiast

What specifically do you mean by "weird?"  I get xanthan gum online, because I have not found it in the supermarket.  My favorite sandwich bread recipe uses the brine from a can of garbanzo beans instead of eggs-- that's kind of weird, but it works surprisingly well!

One of my very favorite gluten free snacks is garbanzo beans.  I don't even turn them into hummus or toast them in the oven or anything!  I just drain them (I save the brine for bread, lol), pour them in a bowl, and put some salt and red wine vinegar on them and just eat them.  I can't help myself, I will eat an entire can in one sitting!  

Another favorite is an apple, cut in half, cored, and smeared with plain organic peanut butter.  Sometimes molasses is good for dipping an especially start apple into.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Following up on the garbanzo bean thing - one of my favorite 'recipes' is a salad with a can of chickpeas (drained), some feta cheese, red onion, drizzle with olive oil and add  in some sort of greek or italian seasonings/herbs.  If I'm feeling the need for more protein, I might add in a hard boiled egg or some tuna - making it a bit like a nicoise.  No weird ingredients, but so easy and tasty.  My whole (non-celiac) family loves it.

suus Newbie

hey guys, i will be trying out your recipes they sound delicious!
another nice recipe with garbanzo beans that i make a lot and doesn't contain any weird ingredients is my own garbanzo burger invention. I just throw equal amounts (volume) cooked rice and garbanzo beans in my food processor and blend them until smooth. then I add a teaspoon ( but it depends how much you're making) of curcuma, some salt, pepper and sometimes a few spinach leaves as well. i just blend it for one more minute and then it is almost done! if it is too sticky you can add a little bit of rice flour but if you drained te rice well it usally isn't necessary. make them into small burgers and bake them in a non-stick pan with some oil. I just love having some of the batter in my fridge (when it stays a night in the fridge the batter actually gets better) you also dont need to be very precise with the measurements because it won't matter a lot.

Let me know your results if you try any of these recipes!
(sorry if my english is bad btw, I'm dutch but I'm trying to improve my english :))

• 2 months later...
Mle519 Newbie

Can you please share your bread recipe? My 11 yo was just diagnosed with celiac and we are looking for a tasty homemade bread. She loves garbanzo beans!

• 2 months later...
DavePowerman Newbie

We have used this recipe for gluten free bread for years and it is pretty easy as far as gluten free baking goes (since it is designed for a bread machine). We are a gluten free family of 6 so we only do PRACTICAL gluten free baking that is cheap enough for the whole family. We posted it on youtube since a few of our friends were interested in duplicating our bread for their own families. You should be able to view it here

or just email me. Gluten free can be easier than you might think. You can do this! :)

• 2 months later...
CaroCaroCaro Rookie

My favorite super quick snack for when I am in a savory mood is Beans and Cheese!

1/2 can of black beans

shredded cheese (your discretion - I like cheesy goodness)

3 tbsp. salsa of choice

Microwave the beans and cheese for about 2 minutes, stir them up.  Top with salsa and any veggies you'd like to add.  Eat with a spoon (it almost has a mac and cheese vibe)  or with your favorite gluten free tortilla chips!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
mbrookes Community Regular

Parmesan chips are super easy and soooo good. Just grate a bunch of parmesan cheese (not that junk in a green can!) and make little piles on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and pat it down with your fingers.. Bake at about 400 until the cheese melts. When it cools, peel it off the paper and eat it. It should be really crunchy. Sometimes I add some dried rosemary for a different taste. You can buy these in a bag at Sam's but this way is cheaper.

• 3 months later...
AnnaMarieS Newbie

I found this site that has free recipes for hamburger helper like dishes and there is a lot of other stuff there two.  My mom and I made them and they were easy to do and just used the stuff we had.  Pretty much you just dump all this stuff in the pan and let it cook.  Taco skillet is my favorite.

Open Original Shared Link

CatcherInTheRye Apprentice

1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, an egg, vanilla. Top with sea salt, chocolate, nuts, whatever and bake for like 10 minutes. Let them air dry for a day or two (if you want a more cookie-like mouthfeel and texture)
Not the healthiest, but its refreshing to have a baked good without arcane ingredients. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, CatcherInTheRye said:

1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, an egg, vanilla. Top with sea salt, chocolate, nuts, whatever and bake for like 10 minutes. Let them air dry for a day or two (if you want a more cookie-like mouthfeel and texture)
Not the healthiest, but its refreshing to have a baked good without arcane ingredients. 

We made these in my Jr. High Home Ec class back in the early 1970s and I still bake them today!  Yum!  

squirmingitch Veteran

Bake them at what degrees? 

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

Bake them at what degrees? 

350 degrees.  You can flatten them with a fork (traditional PB cookies) or roll them into inch balls and roll into sugar.  They turn out more like a truffle!  That is the way we eat them.  They melt in your mouth.  Experiment with bake times.  Longer yields a cruncher cookie and less time a softer version.  

We like them soft, so we pop them into Tupperware.  They can be frozen.  I usually bring these to potlucks and snag a few before gluten eaters get to them!  We always have these ingredients in the house.  

I can not do almonds, but I bet almond butter would be tasty too.  

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks! That's what I will have to use is almond butter as right now peanut butter is a no go for me; it comes under that "other food intolerance" umbrella. 

Archived