This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dealing with Symptoms in College

eturnquist

eturnquist Newbie

I am a college junior and was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease in June, two months before I went back to college. I was feeling great initially, but now I am living with 3 people who are not gluten free, and so I have been having issues with cross contamination. I've been trying to pinpoint the cross contamination, but sometimes my roommates use utensils or contaminate my food when I'm not there because they just don't think about it. Does anyone have any tips for avoiding cross contamination?

Also, I've been dealing with symptoms off and on for about two weeks now. Diarrhea, fatigue, brain fog, achy joints, all of it. I've really been struggling attending classes and studying because I feel so sick all the time. Although some teachers are accommodating, some just don't understand and think that because I look fine, I must be fine. How do you deal with symptoms in college and does anyone have any tips for overcoming the symptoms?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Taras Light Rookie

Hello eturnquist,
Sorry you are being cross contaminated! 1st I would suggest you keeping your cookware in your own room. Better safe than sorry because cross contamination still causes damage to your body, which makes healing take that much longer all over again.
2nd, take care of yourself after being sickened. Rest as much as you can, even sleep, because it gives your body less to deal with while healing. Water will be a good friend too if you don't drink enough.

I relate to you with the brain fog being in college. Same here. Things take like 2 days longer than they should some times because my brain wont work.

GFinDC Veteran

Hello eturnquist,

I live with 2 people who are pretty gluten unaware.  There is plenty of gluten everywhere.  So I assume any dishes or silverware might be contaminated.  Quick rinse is all it takes to clean a little flour off.  I keep most of my food in a separate large dorm size refrigerator.  That is simple and works well.  If you take a little extra effort you should be fine.  I generally avoid the kitchen when pies, or bread etc is being baked.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Freezer Paper you prep surfaces, use your own cooking appliances, your own fridge, and disposable plates and utensils when you can. Keep a stash of gluten-free Safe snacks like from GERBs or Enjoy life around for munching. Wash your hands before cooking or eating anything, gloves might help with this. And a safe meal replacement shake to take with your if you need for emergency safe meals while out in a shaker bottle. Call me paranoid but when you got to get stuff done you have to take a bit of extra precautions to avoid getting sick. Perhaps drill into your roommates about your issues, they might be emphatic and work on your with compromises or ground rules about keeping things in certain areas.

• 1 month later...
rugenzj Newbie

Hey man, im a Junior in college living in a fraternity house, as you can imagine its not easy.

I keep all my plates and silver ware in my own room and wash everything in the sink myself.  That way i know its clean and i don't have to worry about anything. I can clean everything right when i'm done using it, let it dry, and be done with it.

Be careful with people drinking out of your drinks or drinking out of other peoples drinks. that can cause a lot of cross contamination. 

as for the symptoms, i've typically dealt with everything through the liberty of using cannabis, provided by my roommate.  as many would not suggest this method, it does help make your stomach feel better, and sometimes let you sleep everything off.  i know thats probably not what you wanted, but thats my honest opinion. 

Archived