This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

DH on hands with red blood blisters (picture)

Jetskier02

Jetskier02 Rookie

Hey Folks,

I recently got into gluten somewhere...really wish I could figure out how because this happens to me so much. I think it may be a result of drinking Omission beer...I very often get DH outbreaks because I am too sloppy with eating. Though I always eat something gluten-free, cross contamination in a fry machine at restaurants is real...and drinking gluten free beer that is filtered to remove gluten may be a problem for me. Anyways, this last week, I had the most intensive DH outbreak on my hands. Has anybody else ever had this happen? Prior to the "blood blisters" forming, my hands were tingling for ~12 hours and when I woke up the next day, they looked like this and no longer tingled. Any input would be great because I've had no luck with doctors. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jetskier02 Rookie

Oh and I should mention I have celiac disease...

squirmingitch Veteran

You forgot to attach the picture.

You really have to get serious & extremely careful not to get cross contaminated. DH is sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten and I wouldn't touch an Omission beer for all the tea in China. That's just crazy when you have dh.

Jetskier02 Rookie

Here's a picture squirmingitch. Thanks for the advice. 

DH_hand.webp

squirmingitch Veteran

Jetskier were those actual blood filled raised blisters? I ask because I ran across something recently (and darned if I can recall what it's called) that presents as red spots under the skin as if teeny blood vessels had ruptured & left little red dots all over the place. It actually is associated with dh. I don't think I made a bookmark for it as I was in a real rush at the time. 

Jetskier02 Rookie

Dried blood, yes. At least, that is what I presume it to be. That's really interesting. So, you're saying that it's associated with DH, but it actually something separate?

Cheers,

Mark

squirmingitch Veteran

That's correct Mark. It was the darndest thing to run across it & it was on reliable medical sites, not just some yayhoo writing an article. It was so weird because in all the research I've done about dh, this was the first time I had run across anything describing that & associating it with dh. I wish I had bookmarked it but I was researching some stuff to take to the doc at an appointment plus Hurricane Matthew was barreling at us so I had my hands really full at the time prepping for both events. In all my time on this site, I've only read 1 or 2 people who mentioned having anything like that.

Now this is something that's just curious & one day when I have time (ha-ha), I'm going to try to research -- my PCP took my hands & turned them palms up & showed them to the nurse. He was pointing out the coloration. The underside of my hands have always, as long as I can remember, been a rosy color. He said that is indicative of celiac. I have never, ever, never come across anything even remotely alluding to that in anything I've read but he seemed to be very adamant that it is so. I looked at my husbands hands and his are the same - he also has celiac. I know that mine are always that color no matter the temperature or time of year. Hot, cold, moderate, they are always that color. So I dunno. One day I'll try to find references to it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
DH-Mom Newbie

My son's hands broke out in dried blood filled blisters just like that before he was diagnosed.  Besides an all over body wash.  Hands are better now but rash persists on arms, legs and face...No GI symptoms.  He was diagnosed with admin biopsy and blood tests.

squirmingitch Veteran

Jetskier I was researching for something entirely different & just happened to run across what I was talking about earlier. It's called petechiae. Here are some links:

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
Jetskier02 Rookie

Hey squirmingitch -- that totally does look like it! Thanks for reaching back in about this. I'm happy to report I have become so staunch and thinks are on the up and up. 

Best,

Mark

squirmingitch Veteran

You're very welcome! It certainly is great to hear things are getting better for you Mark. Keep up the good work! :)

squirmingitch Veteran
On October 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM, DH-Mom said:

My son's hands broke out in dried blood filled blisters just like that before he was diagnosed.  Besides an all over body wash.  Hands are better now but rash persists on arms, legs and face...No GI symptoms.  He was diagnosed with admin biopsy and blood tests.

How is your son doing now DH-Mom? How long has he been gluten free?

Archived