This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Supplement/Diet suggestions for exercising frequently

lmj623

lmj623 Apprentice

Hi all, 

I am an exercise enthusiast and have been since high school (currently 31-female) diagnosed with celiac 3 yrs ago and find that I am very sensitive to working out too much. I would go to the gym every day if I knew I would feel good, but eventually I seem to either not eat enough or not the right things- get a bout of diarrhea (glutened or otherwise- I am now testing no dairy) and just get sore muscles-spasms, and super run down. The latest incidence of this I ended up with hand, foot and mouth (a virus usually only young kids get) and then a week after that a REALLY bad cold. So let's just say I haven't been hitting the gym! 

This might make me sounds like a meat head or gym rat but I'm really not, i used to work out more often than i do now, however I am currently in a pilates teacher training so i need to be more active than I have been in the last couple years.

I am looking for feedback on any supplements- diet - lifestyle suggestions on how to avoid getting so run down. To be able to keep working out and pushing myself to reach new goals not to just end up sick in bed.

I got a vegan meal replacement/protein powder that i have usually once a day with a banana and some coconut milk, usually take my prenatal vitamins still (if i have them why not? my boy is 16 months LOL), calcium magnesium, trying to take glutamine once a day, and occasionally when I remember some probiotics and gummy vitamin C/D. I am not vegan- just no gluten and for now no dairy.

Any other suggestions?! 

-lj

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yes, there are a few people on here who are quite active and will also give you pointers. I am not as near active as I used to be, but I am starting to go on daily long power walks (5-6miles) and doing yoga (feel so great after a session) , and stretch band work at home. Getting my stamina back up to what it used to be years ago. I take several blends of vegan protein blends on rotation, and BCAAs to maintain muscles and prevent that sick "I feel like I got hit by a bus" feeling. I will PM you brands later with comments on flavors.  I found supplements of various B-vitamins, and a diet high in plant based fats, protein, and vitamin A helps alot. I might suggest vitamin A supplementation,  but I find I get  get  enough from various peppers, squash, and greens. I have recent been experimenting with putting Nutritional Yeast like Braggs, and Kal in each meal and have found improved energy levels.  Keep it up we are each different and as our damage heals we can get better.

ironictruth Proficient

I wish I could comment on this with a ton of experience. Sometime in late July, after a heart issue at the gym and one more 5 mile treadmill run, I totally lost my capacity. Maybe it was the gasping for breath or my bruised insides killing me in pain with each foot pound, but I have been on no exercise since then and I really miss it. I had been cutting back weekly after my heart went nuts thinking maybe I was overdoing it.

My cardiologist, who does not listen to me anyway, gave me the green light, but he has no idea about my symptoms. My endo, who listens, told me to stop until further notice. He suspected low sugar and did a test. 

My vitamin levels are good. They float around a lot though. Iron dips, back up, dips. Vitamin E was a bit low and now awesome. A is outstanding.  But I am a fanatic about now using carrot juice, mussels, beef, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. 

The one thing that stopped happening since I quit working out is that I no longer get this horrendous pass out feeling with a low heartrate out of the blue. Always resolved by eating. One time it got so bad it took me 2 hours to feel normal. My co-workers said that I would turn sheet white. This was the sugar and protein dropping. I ate constantly, but it still happened because my body was using the energy. I am not a diabetic.

How often are you getting glutened? You mentioned eating the wrong stuff or not eating enough. A drop in sugar could be your issue as well as reaching for potentially cross contaminated foods out of hunger and keeping your body in a need to heal state. 

My advice would be to start out slow. It sucks because mentally you are so there, and physically you may be too, IN THE MOMENT. But later on your body is looking for those energy stores to heal small tears in muscles and they have already been used up via the workout and by the celiac, leaving you sore and injured. 

Eat a small snack pre workout and one within an hour after. Simple protein/fruit. If the protein powder has a lot of sugar, can it. Having too much can make it crash later. And keep your workouts short, under 30 mins. Like 3x a week (at least for now). On the days you do cardio, take it easy on other stuff like crazy errands/cleaning. I know, it is not much, but more then you will be doing if you are sick! 

And keep me posted on what works for you for when I get back to it!

IFit-Celiac Rookie

As a fellow exercise enthusiast\trainer I know the difficulty of wanting to push it in the gym but just not having it in you. I'm a Weightlifter myself, and it's that much harder for me to put on muscle and gain strength then the typical athlete but I am quite determined to not let Celiac get me down on that :) Here are a few things nutrition wise I make sure to do EVERYDAY I train! 

*First and foremost, work at all cost to avoid getting glutened. If in doubt, don't eat it. One glutening can effect your performance for more then a few days and it's not worth it! It was a year between glutening, and when it happened recently it took me a month to get back to myself in the gym. It was horrible! Remember food is fuel, so being able to absorb its nutrients is most important!

*Eat a nutritious breakfast with appropriate amounts of Protein, Carb and Fat. Your other meals should be the same but many people tend to skip this meal! When your choosing carbs, think of whole foods that can fuel you that day and the next that don't have possibilities of gluten. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, gluten-free rice, gluten-free non GMO gritsgluten-free oatmeal, bananas...ext... I try to stay away from processed carbs or microwaveable meals if possible. I've noticed it's just easier on digestion...

*Have protein powder that is easily digestible or minimal ingredient Nutrition/protein bars on hand at all times for emergencys. I like to carry around some gluten-free Oat bars when I need the extra carbs and then some various protein bars as well.

*I religiously take a probiotic supplement from "RAW" without fail and it's truly helped me. I've used other brands that work well too but have settled on RAW as 1 bottle of the 85 billion cultures lasts me 3 months since I take 1/3 of a serving so price wise it's more effective. 

*I'm not necessarily making this as a recommendation as everyone is different, but I take high dosages of Sports Performance Fish Oil from The Zone. It's known to help decrease inflammation which with Celiac and thyroid issues along with lifting heavier weights I need that. Just all around it has made me feel better physically and mentally. 

*I do take glutamine throughout the week on hard training days. I am looking for a decent multi-vitamin but most bother my stomach so I try my hardest to get the nutrition from food although I know I'm lacking in a few areas (I'm also a Pescatarian so that doesn't help!) so it's just finding one that will settle well with my stomach. 

*I've learned it's important to be realistic in how your feeling and that some days you just won't feel 100%. It's ok, just bring the workout down a few notches and hit it hard when your feeling yourself again. Scheduled rest days are super important, I workout 4x a week but I rest after 2 days so that I have that recovery factored in whether I feel like I need it or not. I sometimes push the workouts to 5x a week if I'm feeling great but it's usually more of an active rest day with lighter weights.

I honestly feel finding consistency with your food intake is what makes everything else fall into place in the fitness world, especially those of us with Celiac. I end up eating the same things often, which can be boring at times but I know the food is safe with no risk of gluten. That helps me be able to continue to train without interruption. I myself eat some dairy like cottage cheese or plan Greek yogurt w/gluten-free granola and grapes for extra protein but dairy doesn't bother me as much. I hope you can get back into the swing of things and feel good. Please post an update so we know how it's going! 

-Cristina 

lmj623 Apprentice
On 10/16/2016 at 3:08 AM, ironictruth said:

I wish I could comment on this with a ton of experience. Sometime in late July, after a heart issue at the gym and one more 5 mile treadmill run, I totally lost my capacity. Maybe it was the gasping for breath or my bruised insides killing me in pain with each foot pound, but I have been on no exercise since then and I really miss it. I had been cutting back weekly after my heart went nuts thinking maybe I was overdoing it.

My cardiologist, who does not listen to me anyway, gave me the green light, but he has no idea about my symptoms. My endo, who listens, told me to stop until further notice. He suspected low sugar and did a test. 

My vitamin levels are good. They float around a lot though. Iron dips, back up, dips. Vitamin E was a bit low and now awesome. A is outstanding.  But I am a fanatic about now using carrot juice, mussels, beef, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. 

The one thing that stopped happening since I quit working out is that I no longer get this horrendous pass out feeling with a low heartrate out of the blue. Always resolved by eating. One time it got so bad it took me 2 hours to feel normal. My co-workers said that I would turn sheet white. This was the sugar and protein dropping. I ate constantly, but it still happened because my body was using the energy. I am not a diabetic.

How often are you getting glutened? You mentioned eating the wrong stuff or not eating enough. A drop in sugar could be your issue as well as reaching for potentially cross contaminated foods out of hunger and keeping your body in a need to heal state. 

My advice would be to start out slow. It sucks because mentally you are so there, and physically you may be too, IN THE MOMENT. But later on your body is looking for those energy stores to heal small tears in muscles and they have already been used up via the workout and by the celiac, leaving you sore and injured. 

Eat a small snack pre workout and one within an hour after. Simple protein/fruit. If the protein powder has a lot of sugar, can it. Having too much can make it crash later. And keep your workouts short, under 30 mins. Like 3x a week (at least for now). On the days you do cardio, take it easy on other stuff like crazy errands/cleaning. I know, it is not much, but more then you will be doing if you are sick! 

And keep me posted on what works for you for when I get back to it!

On 10/16/2016 at 7:20 AM, iFitCeliac said:

As a fellow exercise enthusiast\trainer I know the difficulty of wanting to push it in the gym but just not having it in you. I'm a Weightlifter myself, and it's that much harder for me to put on muscle and gain strength then the typical athlete but I am quite determined to not let Celiac get me down on that :) Here are a few things nutrition wise I make sure to do EVERYDAY I train! 

*First and foremost, work at all cost to avoid getting glutened. If in doubt, don't eat it. One glutening can effect your performance for more then a few days and it's not worth it! It was a year between glutening, and when it happened recently it took me a month to get back to myself in the gym. It was horrible! Remember food is fuel, so being able to absorb its nutrients is most important!

*Eat a nutritious breakfast with appropriate amounts of Protein, Carb and Fat. Your other meals should be the same but many people tend to skip this meal! When your choosing carbs, think of whole foods that can fuel you that day and the next that don't have possibilities of gluten. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, gluten-free rice, gluten-free non GMO gritsgluten-free oatmeal, bananas...ext... I try to stay away from processed carbs or microwaveable meals if possible. I've noticed it's just easier on digestion...

*Have protein powder that is easily digestible or minimal ingredient Nutrition/protein bars on hand at all times for emergencys. I like to carry around some gluten-free Oat bars when I need the extra carbs and then some various protein bars as well.

*I religiously take a probiotic supplement from "RAW" without fail and it's truly helped me. I've used other brands that work well too but have settled on RAW as 1 bottle of the 85 billion cultures lasts me 3 months since I take 1/3 of a serving so price wise it's more effective. 

*I'm not necessarily making this as a recommendation as everyone is different, but I take high dosages of Sports Performance Fish Oil from The Zone. It's known to help decrease inflammation which with Celiac and thyroid issues along with lifting heavier weights I need that. Just all around it has made me feel better physically and mentally. 

*I do take glutamine throughout the week on hard training days. I am looking for a decent multi-vitamin but most bother my stomach so I try my hardest to get the nutrition from food although I know I'm lacking in a few areas (I'm also a Pescatarian so that doesn't help!) so it's just finding one that will settle well with my stomach. 

*I've learned it's important to be realistic in how your feeling and that some days you just won't feel 100%. It's ok, just bring the workout down a few notches and hit it hard when your feeling yourself again. Scheduled rest days are super important, I workout 4x a week but I rest after 2 days so that I have that recovery factored in whether I feel like I need it or not. I sometimes push the workouts to 5x a week if I'm feeling great but it's usually more of an active rest day with lighter weights.

I honestly feel finding consistency with your food intake is what makes everything else fall into place in the fitness world, especially those of us with Celiac. I end up eating the same things often, which can be boring at times but I know the food is safe with no risk of gluten. That helps me be able to continue to train without interruption. I myself eat some dairy like cottage cheese or plan Greek yogurt w/gluten-free granola and grapes for extra protein but dairy doesn't bother me as much. I hope you can get back into the swing of things and feel good. Please post an update so we know how it's going! 

-Cristina 

Wow! Thanks you guys for your responses! I am typically not getting glutened- I try very hard to eat things that don't make me sick. I got hit once this summer in July and then once about a month or so ago which may be why I got that stupid hand foot mouth- my immune system must have been down (plus I just travelled and day drank for a wedding too-definitely not helping)

I am starting to think other than those two little slips that I may be ingesting very small amounts that don't cause a big reaction because I feed my 16 month old gluten noodles and pretzels sometimes. I decided that he should eat gluten-free bread because if my hubs isn't eating bread why the hell am I going to buy all that bread! 

Cristina I agree I think it is a balance with food- sometimes I just get so lazy trying to figure out what to eat that I just don't eat so yes having healthy filling snacks around all the time is incredibly necessary for me. I just get so excited when I am at the gym and I was doing well- got up to squatting 115 with encouragement from my weight lifting husband. IT felt great! and my butt was starting to look pretty good too ;) 

I am going to try a short workout like you suggested- just do some legs and lighter squats today- I don't really do cardio other than to warm up because I usually keep my heart rate up as I am lifting. (and i go for walks with the stroller)  and I am thin anyways so I am not trying to lose weight. The nice thing about being in my pilates program is that I have access to use a reformer which is a nice way to workout that isn't super strenuous- so I do recommend Pilates to anyone who is looking for a great low impact workout that builds muscle. 

It is so hard to find info about exercising but maintaining weight! Especially because most people don't really get all of the RANDOM things that happen to our bodies being celiac. I have to really listen to my body all the time.

Going to take some cough syrup and get ready for my workout (this cold has to give up at some point!!) Thanks again for all your responses- I really need to get more active on here, so nice to feel supported and understood :D

IFit-Celiac Rookie
2 hours ago, lmj623 said:

Wow! Thanks you guys for your responses! I am typically not getting glutened- I try very hard to eat things that don't make me sick. I got hit once this summer in July and then once about a month or so ago which may be why I got that stupid hand foot mouth- my immune system must have been down (plus I just travelled and day drank for a wedding too-definitely not helping)

I am starting to think other than those two little slips that I may be ingesting very small amounts that don't cause a big reaction because I feed my 16 month old gluten noodles and pretzels sometimes. I decided that he should eat gluten-free bread because if my hubs isn't eating bread why the hell am I going to buy all that bread! 

Cristina I agree I think it is a balance with food- sometimes I just get so lazy trying to figure out what to eat that I just don't eat so yes having healthy filling snacks around all the time is incredibly necessary for me. I just get so excited when I am at the gym and I was doing well- got up to squatting 115 with encouragement from my weight lifting husband. IT felt great! and my butt was starting to look pretty good too ;) 

I am going to try a short workout like you suggested- just do some legs and lighter squats today- I don't really do cardio other than to warm up because I usually keep my heart rate up as I am lifting. (and i go for walks with the stroller)  and I am thin anyways so I am not trying to lose weight. The nice thing about being in my pilates program is that I have access to use a reformer which is a nice way to workout that isn't super strenuous- so I do recommend Pilates to anyone who is looking for a great low impact workout that builds muscle. 

It is so hard to find info about exercising but maintaining weight! Especially because most people don't really get all of the RANDOM things that happen to our bodies being celiac. I have to really listen to my body all the time.

Going to take some cough syrup and get ready for my workout (this cold has to give up at some point!!) Thanks again for all your responses- I really need to get more active on here, so nice to feel supported and understood :D

I totally understand the frustration of finding foods to eat, it's taken me awhile to fine tune that which is why I tend to eat the same things over and over as a safety net. Especially for someone like you who is looking to maintain your food intake is that much more important. You can definitely get your strength back, just be patient and listen to your body! Feel better and look forward to hearing an update :) 

Fitlilceliac Newbie

The best way I found that works for me is to take my B vitamins and Ds which I buy at Sprouts and I put this mineral "Concen Trace Mineral Drops" in my water every morning which helps me not feel so dehydrated all the time. Also being vegan with celiac is a very hard thing, their is a vegan protein that they sale at Costco that actually tastes pretty good. But what I do when I feel really run down is make my vitamins, make sure I am not dehydrated and go to bed early. The hardest thing about celiac is trying to listen to what your body is telling you. I had to stop lifting heavy while im in college because I was falling asleep in class, you have to find your new "nomral" with celiac and try not to push yourself when you feel weak and tired. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
lmj623 Apprentice
On 10/16/2016 at 11:50 AM, iFitCeliac said:

I totally understand the frustration of finding foods to eat, it's taken me awhile to fine tune that which is why I tend to eat the same things over and over as a safety net. 

On 10/16/2016 at 0:05 PM, Fitlilceliac said:

The best way I found that works for me is to take my B vitamins and Ds which I buy at Sprouts and I put this mineral "Concen Trace Mineral Drops" in my water every morning which helps me not feel so dehydrated all the time. Also being vegan with celiac is a very hard thing, their is a vegan protein that they sale at Costco that actually tastes pretty good. But what I do when I feel really run down is make my vitamins, make sure I am not dehydrated and go to bed early. The hardest thing about celiac is trying to listen to what your body is telling you. I had to stop lifting heavy while im in college because I was falling asleep in class, you have to find your new "nomral" with celiac and try not to push yourself when you feel weak and tired. 

Hey all- just thought I would send an update. I worked out hard but not too long or too hard last week on Thursday- one hour pilates class (which isn't too strenuous to me) and then did squats and some other arm/back lifts. But i couldn't do my third set of squats because my quads were cramping up.I took my Glutamine twice that day, vegan protein and tried to eat more, I tried to avoid more than 1 drink for two days, and waited until I wasn't too sore anymore. and just did pilates reformer on friday. 

So I did it! I paced myself well. I missed my normal Monday pilates reformer time (sinus infection now from my last cold :angry:) But did make it on tuesday. Today I only had 1 hour of work out time (the child watch was closing!) so I busted out bench, straight leg dead lifts, upright row, reverse lunges with military press, and then finally squats. Let's just say i went pretty hard compared to last week and got 3 sets in for everything :D it was great!. so now I am eating like a mad person, I didn't get any quad cramping this time so that was good. Maybe because I have been off dairy that i am absorbing stuff better who knows. 

But I know i have to stay on track with my supplements and eating and not drinking.. much ;) 

IFit-Celiac Rookie

That's great to know your doing better and feeling stronger! Keep at it and reach those goals! Of course, there will be ups and downs but just be prepared for them and know that you will get back to feeling good again :) 

• 3 weeks later...
lmj623 Apprentice
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, IFit-Celiac said:

That's great to know your doing better and feeling stronger! Keep at it and reach those goals! Of course, there will be ups and downs but just be prepared for them and know that you will get back to feeling good again :) 

Do you find that when you are exercising regularly you have this crazy hunger? I have always had a pretty fast metabolism but this is getting kind of crazy. I had keto pancakes (eggs and creamcheese) for breakfast, a 6oz cup of trail mix, now just ate an Amy's gluten-free DF burrito and still hungry. been up for only 4.5 hours!

I am thinking this may be a huge reason why I was having the issues I was having- also last week I started feeling like I might get a cold after I had to stop my pilates practice because I was so hungry I thought I might pass out. I try to eat most of the day but I am running out of things to eat!

Any suggestions for good snacks? I love RX Bar's and drink a vegan protein/meal replacement 1-2x a day but some nights right before I got o bed I am hungry again and not sure what to eat!

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I normally have a a scoop of protein powder and almond milk before bed to avoid that "hit  a bus" feeling in the morning. As for hunger yeah I sometimes find myself mindlessly eating handfuls of almonds and pumpkin seeds.

IFit-Celiac Rookie
47 minutes ago, lmj623 said:

Do you find that when you are exercising regularly you have this crazy hunger? I have always had a pretty fast metabolism but this is getting kind of crazy. I had keto pancakes (eggs and creamcheese) for breakfast, a 6oz cup of trail mix, now just ate an Amy's gluten-free DF burrito and still hungry. been up for only 4.5 hours!

I am thinking this may be a huge reason why I was having the issues I was having- also last week I started feeling like I might get a cold after I had to stop my pilates practice because I was so hungry I thought I might pass out. I try to eat most of the day but I am running out of things to eat!

Any suggestions for good snacks? I love RX Bar's and drink a vegan protein/meal replacement 1-2x a day but some nights right before I got o bed I am hungry again and not sure what to eat!

It sounds to me you may be lacking in carbohydrates, which is what fuels your body for working out. This is just me as an example based off my body, I eat 40-50grams of carbs pre training, if it's a really intense workout I will drink a small portion of my pure carb drink vitargo intra training and then post training a protein shake which has minimal carbs and then I eat another 40-50grams of carbs in my meal. I eat protein and fat with those carbs as well of course! It is true that when your working out you are hungrier because your metabolism is working more and your probably putting on some muscle, so you have to eat along with your activity so you don't ever feel like passing out or that your deprived. Hope this helps! 

lmj623 Apprentice
1 hour ago, IFit-Celiac said:

It sounds to me you may be lacking in carbohydrates, which is what fuels your body for working out. This is just me as an example based off my body, I eat 40-50grams of carbs pre training, if it's a really intense workout I will drink a small portion of my pure carb drink vitargo intra training and then post training a protein shake which has minimal carbs and then I eat another 40-50grams of carbs in my meal. I eat protein and fat with those carbs as well of course! It is true that when your working out you are hungrier because your metabolism is working more and your probably putting on some muscle, so you have to eat along with your activity so you don't ever feel like passing out or that your deprived. Hope this helps! 

So I know this is silly- even after taking nutrition classes but what types of carbs should I be eating? You mention a Vitargo drink? Could you give me more details? Sometimes I am just so over trying to find something to eat that I don't eat- so maybe a drink like that- (you said during your workout?) As for normal food to eat I am guessing like sweet potatoes- rice?

I just devoured a delicious double cheeseburger and small fries from five guys YUM! Gotta stay fueled up!

IFit-Celiac Rookie
20 hours ago, lmj623 said:

So I know this is silly- even after taking nutrition classes but what types of carbs should I be eating? You mention a Vitargo drink? Could you give me more details? Sometimes I am just so over trying to find something to eat that I don't eat- so maybe a drink like that- (you said during your workout?) As for normal food to eat I am guessing like sweet potatoes- rice?

I just devoured a delicious double cheeseburger and small fries from five guys YUM! Gotta stay fueled up!

No it's not silly, I know the hardest thing for us is what the heck do we eat and a lot of the protein bars and shakes are not safe for celiacs. Keep it simple and stick with Whole Foods! So you got it, Oats, Rice, Sweet Potatoes or various kinds of potatoes. I personally like fingerling multi colored potatoes with eggs! Also, if you like any specific veggies or fruits! A banana has about 30g of carbs in it so I'll throw that in ever so often. I like to snack on organic apples with some kind of nut butter. Vitargo won't give you nutrients, it's simply a tool to help get through some tougher workouts so that I stay fueled if your ever in that situation. It's not something I would drink in the afternoon just because I'm hungry if that makes sense :) One of my favorites is protein pancakes which is always a treat since they have a good amount of carbs in them too! You have lots to eat, if all else fails grab some fruit! 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am diabetic to boot, and I exercise a lot.  I fuel myself with very few carbs.  I rely on fats and proteins.  I carry nuts, maybe a fruit (if riding and can burn the sugar).     I load up on meals before hand, like whole Greek yogurt with added cream, eggs with plenty of butter, fish, meat and some veggies.  

After three years of being gluten free, you should not feel weak.  When was the last time you had your celiac antibodies tested in a follow-up visit?  Gluten may be sneaking into your diet.  

Posterboy Mentor

lmj623,

I don't see where anybody has mentioned Magnesium.

You can 't make energy without Magnesium it is best to find either 100% CITRATE form or Glycinate.

See this link where other people discuss similar strategies and or Vitamins/supplements they took to resume their activities after their celiac disease or before they became sick with celiac where I discuss the important of Magnesium to make ENERGY for our bodies the way chlorophyll does for plants.

I will also quote my thread response for easy reference so you don't have to read 19 posts.

quoting the posterboy from the above link

cstark et al, (ennis and ironictruth etc),

"It is not uncommon for Celiac's to be low  in many nutrients obviously (see ennis commment) but I found that when I found Magnesium helped all my fatigue issues drastically improve.

Look up George Eby and magnesium and you will learn all you ever imagined about how Magnesium helps us make energy.

I recommend it to any who is having energy problems of any kind.  This includes muscle cramps, fatigue and sleep problems.

He say's he used it to treat depression and my moods did improve after I began taking it.

But it is important (as is often the case with vitamins) to get a bio-available form.

Magnesium CITRATE is the form best absorbed (or Glycinate which can be a little harder to find) by the body.

200 mg taken 3/day (with meals) will really help energy levels.

I almost never have muscle cramps ever now and sleep soundly at night without needing to take a nap when I get home (and almost always had to before).

I summarize it this way as Chlorophyll is to the plant so Magnesium is to the animal.

Meaning we physically can't make energy with out.

I think your energy levels will pleasantly pickup if you will try the Magnesium Citrate.

Harder to find but your body will think you for it.

Nuts are good sources too!  Especially Almonds and Cashews and they are an even better source of Magnesium if Chocolate covered but is not necessary.

This is not medical advice only personal experience that has helped me and friends who take Magnesium CITRATE to help our fatigue issues.

Magnesium works so well that if low magnesium is your problem when taking in divided doses at least  2 to 3 hours apart energy almost immediately picks up in the first month of taking it.

If you prefer to take it more time daily you can take it one hour before bed time too but each dose needs to be at least two hours apart to absorb your previous amount/dose or Magnesium in doses above 400 mg will for most people cause a "flushing affect" of a movement 20 minutes after doses larger than 400 mg is taken at one time.  Keep any Magnesium doses at least 2 hours apart (Glycinate does not do this) and you will be very happy I think with all the energy you seem almost to instantly have.

And often you will dream after beginning the magnesium probably after never never remembering your dreams for years.

I still take to this day at 400mg a day of Magnesium Citrate as a maintenance dose.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you have the energy to do some of your favorite things soon.

Posterboy,"

It is me again

If you find your energy levels don't pick up in the first week or two of taking 100% Magnesium CITRATE 3 to 4 times a day trying taking it with 3 or 4 betaineHCL capsules (powdered stomach acid) with a meal.

Magnesium like Iron needs a strong acid to help us digest it often.

See this link by Dr. Dana Myatt that explains why your stomach acid might not bee strong enough metabolize/digest Magnesium sufficiently

Open Original Shared Link

Quoting Dr. Jonathan Wright from dr. Dana's gastric acid self function self test page

Jonathan Wright, M.D., well-known and respected holistic physician, states:

“Although research in this area is entirely inadequate, its been my clinical observation that calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, chromium, selenium, manganese, vanadium, molybdenum, cobalt, and many other micro-trace elements are not nearly as well-absorbed in those with poor stomach acid as they are in those whose acid levels are normal. When we test plasma amino acid levels for those with poor stomach function, we frequently find lower than usual levels of one or more of the eight essential amino acids: isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. Often there are functional insufficiencies of folic acid and/or vitamin B12.”

sorry about the bold I don't know how to undo it.

Dr. Myatt goes on to note quoting

"Remember, these are essential nutrients. Deficiencies of any single one of them can cause serious health problems over time. Weak bones, diminish immune function, failing memory, loss of eyesight and many other “diseases of aging” are often the result of decreased stomach function."

By taking it with betainHCL this should help improve your absorption of Magnesium thus improving our energy levels.

I have taking betaineHCL before for GI support but do not take it now but I still take the Magnesium CITRATE nothing I have ever taken helped me more as quickly as Magnesium for increased energy and chronic fatigue symptom's.

Remember **** This is not medical advice and should not be considered such. Results may vary. But it has been my experience Magnesium will help your energy levels.

I hope this is helpful.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Posterboy by the Grace of God,

Archived