This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Work, School, and Celiac

lacey

lacey Contributor

Hello Friends,

Hoping to get some advice from people who understand what I'm dealing with. I have Celiac, and am also in the process of getting tested to see if there is anything else going on autoimmune wise.

I'm back in school, and have two part time jobs on the side. I'm tired and stressed, and feel like the busier I get the worse I feel. I want to step away from one of my jobs, but feel like people don't understand or think I'm lazy.

Have you ever had to adjust your schedule/slow things down due to your disease? Is there anything you can recommended to help me through this crazy busy time? And finally, what would you do if you were me?? 

Thank you! ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

When was the last time your antibodies for celiac were tested?  Are you living on campus and eating the "gluten free" food?  

Me?  I cut way back after a glutening.  I conserve my energy for healing.  So, in your case, I would give up at least one of the jobs.   You can not lighten your school load at this point in the quarter/semester.  School is just for a short amount of time.  Work can come later.  Are your parents able to help financially?  

IFit-Celiac Rookie

Hi Lacy! Your concerns are definitely valid as stress is a big contributor to how we feel with our disease. You sound very similar to how I was feeling, so let me share my story with you...

I used to work a very stressful job, and during this time I was diagnosed with 4 autoimmune conditions, multiple nutrition deficiencies and got sick with colds/flu ALL the time. It took me awhile, but I finally realized I needed to simplify my life as much as possible because my body was wearing down with every passing year. I was able to transition into my true passion, a Fitness Coach, which has significantly helped decrease my stress levels. Surprise surprise, I haven't been diagnosed with any other diseases and rarely get sick despite being around all kinds of germs in the gym! As difficult as it is, I've learned to accept what my body can and can't do. A good night sleep, minimal stress, consistent exercise and having a nutritious filled diet is how I feel most optimal. As soon as one of those things are interrupted I start feeling very run down and sick. Some people don't understand why I haven't accepted more work, because of course that would mean more money and everyone wants more money right?? My question is what will that extra money cost me health wise?? Not everyone understands these choices, but that's ok because no one needs to anyway :) It's all a balancing act to make sure I don't overdo things because I never want to feel like I did when I was going through my diagnosis journey...just dragging through life miserable wondering if I would ever feel great again. I've really learned to value my health, and it's top priority for me to maintain that. 

I know everyones situation/needs are different...but I wanted you to know that stress really can effect your health more then you can ever imagine. I've lived it and I don't wish it on anyone. I hope you are able to find a position where you can balance your necessities in a way that you can decrease the stress that your feeling...if you can live off one job then that sounds like a better situation for sure. Wish you the best and hope to hear an update :) 

-Cristina

lacey Contributor

Oh I haven't been checked for antibodies for years...I've been gluten free for a long time. Even my hairspray is gluten free! I'm sooo careful but feel like crap still.

I finally found an immunologist who actually understands autoimmunity and I'm confident he'll be able to figure some things out. I have an appointment with him next week. Pretty sure he is checking antibodies as well...he took 24 vials of blood.

I'm in an intensive one year massage therapy program...so I can't scale back on that unfortunately. I just have constant stomach aches, sore throats, fatigue, body aches, etc. my gut is literally telling me to slow it down... :(

People don't understand when I tell them what's going on ugh. Thank you so much for listening and your kind advice! :)

kareng Grand Master

I wonder if tired and stressed isn't just normal for your situation?  Even if you had nothing wrong with you?  An intensive training/class schedule and 2 jobs?  Is there anyway you could drop a job?  Preferable the one you like the least?

lacey Contributor

Thank you Christina and kareng! I actually teach yoga which is awesome, but I have so many classes to teach each week at two different locations. I'm so glad to know it's not just me! Seriously considering dropping the job I like the least, and focusing on decreasing my stress. Being overly busy is stressful enough, but adding other dynamics makes it almost too much right now. I can't keep living with feeling like this everyday. Thanks so much!?

IFit-Celiac Rookie

Sounds like your on the right track Lacey!! Hope it all goes well, you definitely have people who understand here :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived