This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has anyone else experienced this??

Stringcheese32

Stringcheese32 Explorer

I have always been passionate about drinking and trying new beers.  Lately, when I drink just two beers I find that I'm waking up several hours later feeling unbearably hot (but unable to sweat) and so nauseous.  It lasts for about an hour or two and then I can manage to fall back asleep.  I wake up in the morning feeling really sore and incredibly fatigued.  This happened periodically about 10 years or so ago, but now it seems to happen every single time I drink (which is not super often).  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any ideas what's causing this?  I haven't been formally diagnosed with Celiac Disease, yet, I still need an endoscopy (but positive DGP IgG and DQ7, 8 and IgA deficient).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

So you're still eating gluten right? Beer is gluten.

Stringcheese32 Explorer

Yes, I'm still consuming gluten.  Do you think this is gluten related?  

plumbago Experienced

Not directly related to your question, but while beer is gluten, yes, if there is no wheat in it (ie, if it's made from barley), the gluten comes from a different source.

Barley gluten - hordein.

Wheat gluten is known as gliadin.

Rye gluten is known as secalin.

Presently, assay tests (or lab tests) are only commercially available for the testing of gliadin, as far as I know.

AmberJ Rookie
1 hour ago, Stringcheese32 said:

I have always been passionate about drinking and trying new beers.  Lately, when I drink just two beers I find that I'm waking up several hours later feeling unbearably hot (but unable to sweat) and so nauseous.  It lasts for about an hour or two and then I can manage to fall back asleep.  I wake up in the morning feeling really sore and incredibly fatigued.  This happened periodically about 10 years or so ago, but now it seems to happen every single time I drink (which is not super often).  Has anyone else experienced this?  Any ideas what's causing this?  I haven't been formally diagnosed with Celiac Disease, yet, I still need an endoscopy (but positive DGP IgG and DQ7, 8 and IgA deficient).

Beer is gluten. Beer is a no-no for NCGI or Celiac patients. Try wine, most are gluten free.

plumbago Experienced
1 minute ago, Stringcheese32 said:

Yes, I'm still consuming gluten.  Do you think this is gluten related?  

Probably. One person with celiac disease I know drinks craft beer, but most beer has gluten (its heart is gluten), and people with celiac disease should not be drinking it, as far as I know.

Stringcheese32 Explorer

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, which is why I'm continuing with gluten.  I will say though, after last night, I may not drink beer anymore.  It's seriously one of the worst feelings ever - the nausea is incredible and my skin is so hot, but yet I'm not sweating and have trouble cooling myself down.  I took tums, to try to calm my stomach and it just burned.  I could barely drink any water.  And then I woke up today feeling like I had arthritis in my legs.  I apologize for sounding like a complainer - I'm just trying to figure out what the root cause is.  Anyways, I think my days of beer might be over.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran
1 hour ago, Stringcheese32 said:

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, which is why I'm continuing with gluten.  I will say though, after last night, I may not drink beer anymore.  It's seriously one of the worst feelings ever - the nausea is incredible and my skin is so hot, but yet I'm not sweating and have trouble cooling myself down.  I took tums, to try to calm my stomach and it just burned.  I could barely drink any water.  And then I woke up today feeling like I had arthritis in my legs.  I apologize for sounding like a complainer - I'm just trying to figure out what the root cause is.  Anyways, I think my days of beer might be over.

No need to apologize. Personally, I have a theory that there are subsets of celiacs. Some react more strongly to wheat gluten and some who react more strongly to barley (malt) and maybe yet another reacts more strongly to rye. I can tell you that way back when I was a kid, I learned that malted milk balls were NOT my thing. They got me every time. At the time of course, I had no idea I was celiac. I noticed though even at that age, that any time I ate anything with the ingredient malt in it, it tore my stomach to pieces & I got big "D" so I quit eating anything with malt in it. When I became a teen & began experimenting with alcohol, I didn't even think about barley malt being in beer (air headed teen). I found beer did the same thing to me. I put 2+2 together & realized it must be the barley malt in the beer so I stuck with wine instead. Beer gave me a hangover type reaction every time even if I only had one beer or a half of a beer. 

GFinDC Veteran

Regular beer can cause as celiac reaction.  You can try gluten-free beer though and see how that goes.

nicolebeth Apprentice

I've had that happen with various alcoholic beverages. Wine, beer, etc. I think it's something else, but could be a FODMAP reaction if celiac has been ruled out. (Beer and wine contain FODMAPs.) I do better with spirits.

good luck!

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I recall beer making me sick violently before even knowing I was a celiac. Always been a vodka and rum guy.....have to avoid them now due to ulcers but  I still cook with rum and wines, they caramelize on stir fries and add amazing finish.

Rowan13 Explorer

Sorry for the junky articles around this, but this article kind of sums up well the different components of beer that might cause a reaction. In my experience, you can also react differently to things depending on other loads on your body (seasonal allergies, dust mite allergies, consuming other things that are lowering your tolerance) and obviously there's gluten in it.

I found awhile ago I needed to avoid sulfites and high histamine foods.

Open Original Shared Link

Stringcheese32 Explorer

Thank you everyone for your insight.  I guess I've never considered other allergies regarding beer.  I don't drink wine because it causes extreme acid reflux for me, and I had enough of liquor in my college days.  I only drink beer (occasionally).  If I stick with one, I seem to be okay, most of the time, but two always seems to make me ill.  It's really unfortunate, because I appreciate beer (the process of making it, the complexity of each beer), but it's just not worth feeling lousy over.  I'm perplexed by the sensation of being extremely hot, yet unable to sweat - it's so weird.  It feels nothing like a hangover.  It's very different.  And the nausea is debilitating and then (TMI) I end up with diarrhea, which is very odd for me as I'm chronically constipated (and take miralax daily).  It sounds like it might be time for some allergy testing as everything seems to make me ill or bloat me.  I need to stop dilly dallying and take this more seriously.  Hopefully, I'll hear back from my GI today about setting up an endoscopy.  He finally was able to get my correct labs after about 8 weeks of, pardon me, screwing around.  As I'm sure all of you can relate, I just want this all over with so I can take care of myself.  And then focus on my three little ones getting the care they need.  Thank you a million times everyone!

plumbago Experienced
7 hours ago, Stringcheese32 said:

I'm perplexed by the sensation of being extremely hot, yet unable to sweat - it's so weird.  It feels nothing like a hangover.  It's very different.  And the nausea is debilitating and then (TMI) I end up with diarrhea, which is very odd for me as I'm chronically constipated (and take miralax daily).

You could always take your temperature during the hot flash. Not to give tmi of my own, but yesterday I ate half a bag of pistachios, which was entirely too much fiber for one sitting, and had a reaction, and um during my reaction, I took my temperature, and it was slightly elevated. Just give yourself more pieces of information to work with.

Stringcheese32 Explorer
1 hour ago, plumbago said:

You could always take your temperature during the hot flash. Not to give tmi of my own, but yesterday I ate half a bag of pistachios, which was entirely too much fiber for one sitting, and had a reaction, and um during my reaction, I took my temperature, and it was slightly elevated. Just give yourself more pieces of information to work with.

That's probably a good idea.  I have been dealing with night sweats for over a year now.  I had them every night for nine months straight, followed by a few months with it only happening a handful of times and now they're back again.  I went to my GP to figure out if it was early menopause (although I was only 34 at the time), lymphoma, sarcoidosis, lyme, etc and she ran a bunch of tests and everything came back fine.  This was last November.  She said it was likely auto immune and we would have to wait until more symptoms appeared.  Did you experience night sweats with celiac disease?

plumbago Experienced

I am hopefully well into my one year of being period-free, ie menopause. So I do have some hotflashes now. To be honest, I used to get them in my 40s and maybe even my 30s, but only occasionally. It would be hard to tease out if it's celiac disease-related or pre-, peri- or menopause.

However what I described above, about having D recently, is more of a flush associated with an inflammatory reaction or illness. My hotflashes are different than the flush of inflammation/illness. The latter usually is accompanied by a slight rise in temperature. To be honest I never take my temperature during a perimenopausal hotflash, though I guess I could.

You ask if I experienced night sweats with celiac disease? I do know since my 30s my temperature has fluctuated during sleep and I would start out fine, wake up hot (then cool back down). Doesn't always happen, maybe half the time to 2/3 of the time. I have never considered the heat/temperature changes at night related to celiac disease.

Plumbago

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, plumbago said:

This is funny.  Was at my GI's for annual check-up (not related to celiac disease, but normal stuff since my PCP was out on maternity leave!).  Nurse took my temp and asked me if I was sick.  It was 101.4 degrees.  Right as I was getting my temperature taken, a hot flash hit me.  After my GI visit, I had the nurse take my temperature again.  It was normal.  We both had a good laugh.  A first for my nurse who is male.  Said he'd be nicer to his wife......

cyclinglady Grand Master

The night sweats?  It could be related to celiac disease (isn't everything?).  I started them six months after my daughter's birth.  Lost 17 pounds in three weeks (only gained 26 total in my pregnancy).  We attributed them to perimenopause and post-pregnancy hormonal shifts.  Those night sweats came back over the course of 12 years.   Really bad.  Slept next to a stack of beach towels and clean nightgowns which I changed twice nightly.    Even broke down and purchased towels that matched my sheets.   Never had normal hot flashes until post menopause.  I did have times of running "hot" but that's when my thyroid was running hyper instead hypo (another crazy story....).

squirmingitch Veteran

I had hot flashes & night sweats from celiac. I got tested for peri menopause & it was always, Nope, you're not starting to go into menopause yet. Now I know why I was having those night sweats!

I had hot flashes from menopause. For me, they acted the same as celiac night sweats & hot flashes. I haven't had a hot flash for years since going gluten free.

Archived