This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Home testing kit

Sally6

Sally6 Newbie

I had a light bulb moment a few weeks ago and wondered if I was gluten sensitive/celiac. I'm 58 and probably have suffered from this all my life!!  So decided to cut out glutten for 4 days, what a difference I felt like a new woman. 

But then i started googling and realised  I needed to be on gluten for 6 weeks for a reliable result. So I'm back on it and all my symptoms are back. 

I bought a home testing kit as I was impatient. I was celiac negative after 10 minutes but celiac positive after 30 minutes.

im still eating gluten but was interested if anyone else had experienced this. 

Thanks a lot 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I don't know if they are reliable or not.  What test did you use?

Sally6 Newbie

Bio card from boots. I'm from the UK.  

kareng Grand Master
6 minutes ago, Sally6 said:

Bio card from boots. I'm from the UK.  

We don't have them here, yet.  Might call the company and ask about the odd result.

cyclinglady Grand Master

So, the Biocard is a start.  Now, you should get into your GP and ask for a full celiac panel if at all possible.  Bring the biocard results in to show your doctor.  Keep eating gluten until you get all testing done (more blood tests and an endoscopy to obtain biopsies of the small intestine.  

Good luck!  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Sally6,

The Biocard results are good for a certain number of minutes, after which they aren't reliable, per the test kit instructions.  That doesn't mean you don't have celiac disease though.  The Biocard test only measures one antibody type.  There are several more in the complete celiac disease antibodies panel.  If you can get your physician to do the complete celiac panel, it might show IgA or IgG antibodies.  Some people don't show an antibody reaction on one type of antibody, but do on another.  So although the basic common screening test (ttg IgA) does catch most people, it doesn't catch all cases of celiac disease.

Your symptoms do sound like possible celiac disease.  Also, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a condition associated (higher risk of getting it) with celiac disease.

You are correct that you need to continue eating gluten until testing is completed.  But only 4 days off gluten should not be a big problem for the tests.  If you can get the testing done soon, that would be great.  Usually the process includes a blood antibodies panel followed by an endoscopy later.  The endoscopy should take 4 to 6 biopsy samples for microscopic review.  They check them for damage to the villi lining of the small intestine cause by celiac disease.

You don't need to eat a lot of gluten each day to keep the antibodies active.  The University of Chicago celiac center recommends 1/2 slice of bread daily.

Welcome to the forum Sally! :)

P.S.  There is a thread titled Newbie 101 stickied to the top of the coping with forum.  It has some good information for beginners.

Sally6 Newbie

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful. My GP is good but wants to wait for the full 6 weeks before he does a blood test. I've got another 5 weeks which feels like a long time at the moment. I can't wait to be gluten free again as I have never felt so well!!

will sort out the newbie bit now ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran
7 hours ago, Sally6 said:

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful. My GP is good but wants to wait for the full 6 weeks before he does a blood test. I've got another 5 weeks which feels like a long time at the moment. I can't wait to be gluten free again as I have never felt so well!!

will sort out the newbie bit now ?

Good going Sally!  Shoot, I think it took me about 6 months to sort out the gluten-free diet as a newbie.  That's a bummer they won't do the blood test now.  Did the doctor have any comment on the Biocard test?  I am guessing they would want to see the Biocard test done in their office before they would accept it.  I think the Biocard tests are really useful for individuals trying to sort out if there is a problem themselves, before going to a doctor.

Well, now you've got a chance to use up all those remaining bits of gluten in the cupboard.  You could stop eating dairy now, if it is bothering you.   Quite a few celiacs have problems with dairy before going gluten-free.  Going dairy-free won't affect the celiac testing.  But it might relieve some of the symptoms you are having.

Sally6 Newbie

From the above advice I have decided to bring forward my blood test at the docs.  It is now scheduled for next Friday. So hopefully my 4 days gluten free a couple of weeks ago, out of 58 years I should get a reliable result. 

Just want a bit of advice prior to the blood test as I don't want to miss the opportunity of them testing for the minimum. I've been under a neuro surgeon this year for tingling legs. He has decided it is fairly  innocutious and labelled it as peripheral neuropathy . He did a blood test for an autoimmune problem and it came back ok. Will it be the same as a celiac blood test?? Any ideas welcome. 

Thankyou. 

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Sally,

I don't know what test he did, but it is likely an ANA spot test.  The ANA test can show some autoimmune problems, but it won't diagnose celiac disease.  Celiac disease is diagnosed by anti-gliaden antibodies (AGA) in the bloodstream, and a positive endoscopy showing immune damage to the gut lining.  So, the ANA isn't a bad test to do, it just isn't specific to celiac disease.

Here's a link with the tests for celiac disease:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived