This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What to eat now?

Fbmb

Fbmb Rising Star

Hi all!

I was just diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. I'm doing well with being gluten free, but I've read some conflicting things and want to ask for your advice. 

I cleaned out my cabinets and bought gluten-free pasta, crackers, pretzels, a couple noodle cups, etc. I usually eat leftovers for lunch and we cook each night, but sometimes I need something quick. I like cheese and crackers, toast with peanut butter, etc. I bought gluten-free bread. Is it ok for me to eat these things now? I assumed they were fine since they're gluten-free but some folks have said not to eat anything aside from meats, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I eat a fair amount of all of that but I've also had some gluten-free frozen waffles, gluten-free snacks, etc. Is this ok? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

This is really dependent from person to person. The reason why it is suggested to a lot of people to only eat unprocessed foods is they are easier on digestion, less chance of messing with your stomach, and a lot of us do not discover it til we have developed other issues, and intestinal damage. Do to these other reasons starting with a basic diet of whole foods and slow reintroducing foods and finding what we can eat and does not bother us is normal. I can suggest plenty of foods and brands if you wish and many of us here can help if you ever need suggestions.

PinkyGurl Explorer

As a celiac the only things you can't eat is wheat, barley, or rye.  Anything gluten free you can eat.  That being said some celiacs have problems with some gluten free grains like Oats and quinoa.  You will wan to stick to certified gluten free oats, butnif tou find your guy bothers you then stay away from oats.

be careful about gluten free processed foods, you may gain a lot of weight eating all that as processed gluten free foods and breads are filled with sugar and fat compared to their wheat counterparts. Most gluten free pasta will be corn or rice based and is just fine to eat.

squirmingitch Veteran

Processed foods are processed foods no matter if they're gluten free or not - they all have bad crap in them, additives & stuff. When we begin the gluten-free diet it's b/c our guts are damaged. The goal is to heal. We tell people to eat only whole foods for at least 6 months for several reasons. One is until you learn the diet - whole foods are not going to gluten you and it doesn't take a lot of learning to read labels on whole foods; this takes the stress off the newbie so the newbie can eat safely while learning what to look for on labels. Secondly, since our guts are damaged, we don't want to put things in them that are rough on our system. Processed foods will always be rougher on our system than whole foods. Many celiacs have problems with soy. Some get over it, some don't. gluten-free processed foods often contain soy. Then there are those "additives".

Not everyone has a problem right off the bat with gluten-free processed foods but many do so it's just better all the way around to forget the processed foods until you've healed some.

Never, ever be without safe things to eat. NEVER! Glove compartment or purse or both. You can make up baggies of mixed nuts & dried fruits. Hard boiled eggs, Fresh fruit, oranges, bananas, apples. Bring plastic knives & small containers of organic nut butters for spreading on veggies such as celery sticks, apples, bananas. Larabar originals are great for quick snacks & easy toting. Gluten free & no additives, just fruit & nuts.

Open Original Shared Link

You can put organic nut butters in small containers & the same for all fruit preserves. You can take a spoonful of each or mix them for a PBJ w/o the bread. Good snacking!

Aged cheese. Cheese & meat in a lettuce wrap.

Individual sized bottles of 100% fruit juices.

Before I forget..... when microwaving things at work, be sure to cover whatever it is, even a cup of coffee (use a paper towel on top) so crud from gluten eaters doesn't fall off the top of the microwave into your food or drink. 

Archived