This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Product Updates

eeyor-fan

eeyor-fan Contributor

Here are more companies that got back to me. Hope this helps everyone.

Hugs,

Bridget B)

Chanel Dec.1,2006

Dear Bridget, Thank you for your e-mail regarding gluten in CHANEL lipsticks. I am pleased to inform you that all CHANEL lipstick formulations are gluten-free. If you would like to learn about the gluten content in other CHANEL products, please advise which products you are interested in. Once in receipt of this, we would be happy to continued our search. CHANEL is a company that prides itself on providing superior quality products and exemplary service. We value you as a customer and want you to be satisfied with your CHANEL experience. If you have any further questions, I encourage you to visit a CHANEL counter or to call 1-800-550-0005. Thank you for your continued interest in CHANEL. Warm Regards, Stacey Consumer Relations CHANEL, Inc. Client #:69504

Gillett

December 1, 2005

Dear Bridget,

Thank you for contacting Gillette. We are anxious to see that our

products meet your needs and expectations. We appreciate your interest and

hope you find this information helpful.

In regards to your inquiry, the only products that we have that we can

say for sure that do not contain any gluten would be any of our

antiperspirants or deodorants.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. If you have any

additional questions or comments, please call me toll-free at

1-800-GILLETTE (445-5388). We always appreciate the opportunity to serve our

customers.

Brad M.

Consumer Service Associate

010357727A

Alvita Tea RE: Alvita Teas Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:03:02 -0500 From: "Liz Phipps" <ephipps@ISIBrands.com>

Our products are Gluten Free in the tea line which is not made on equipment that is used to manufacture GLUTEN PRODUCTS.

Lancome

November 30, 2005

Thank you for your interest in Lancôme products.

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products, are those that contain wheat and other grains. This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Maltodextrin

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

All the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the package or on the label of the product itself. Comparing this list with the ingredients listed on our products will help you to identify the ingredients you would like to avoid.

If you would like to request an ingredient list for a specific product, please call us at 1-800-526-2663, Monday - Friday, 9 am to 6 pm, ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Cindy Ligotino

Consumer Affairs Advisor

Ref # 3301004

NOTE..I GOT EXACT SAME LETTER, WORD FOR WORD, FROM L’OREAL, LANCOME, GARNIER, and MAYBELLINE (ALL COMPANIES OWNED BY GUTHI RENKER).

Crabtree & Evelyn Dec.1/2005

Good Afternoon Bridget - Thank you for your inquiry. Gluten is a protein contained in wheat, barley, and rye. Some of our products may contain wheat, barley, or rye (or any derivatives from them) in their formulations. Crabtree & Evelyn's Product Development has stated that they can not guarantee that any of our products are completely gluten free. The best advice we can offer is to check any desired products with your physician. Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service department at the telephone number listed below if there is anything else that we can help you with. Crabtree & Evelyn Customer Service 1-800-272-2873

8th Continent Soy

Dear Ms. Fritzsch:

Thank you for contacting 8th Continent regarding gluten in our products.

It is our goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or gluten containing ingredients sourced from these grains, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product’s ingredient label to provide you with current and accurate information.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Jessica Vescio

General Mills

Consumer Services

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

responses like crabtree's always frustrate me... when a company doesn't say anything specific. too bad every company doesn't have a "list" ! thanks for posting the info :) good to hear on alvita...i have some of their tea in my cabinet.

cindyann Newbie

Hi, I recently read a warning about colognes, perfumes, after shave; it was stated that the alcohol could contain gluten and I don't understand that. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this? I don't like fragrances, even my husband's aftershave but I have significant allergies as well. Thanks for any input.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Just as an FYI... most cosmetics are produced by 1 of 2 major brands and even then they don't produce them. They are actually produced by again 1 of 2 companies you have never heard of. The major label brands that you buy from simply have these companies tweak the product a bit to their liking and then put their name on it.

I mention this because I know that everyone gets very concerned with which cosmetics are gluten-free. To be honest knowing what I do, once I know one brand is gluten-free I tend to assume all brands owned by that parent company are ok.

For instance:

Estee Lauder produces: MAC, Bobbi Brown, Stila, Clinique, Chanel and tons more.

Lancome produces: L'Oreal, Revlon, Maybelline, Redken, and more.

• 6 months later...
Guest * Tina *
Just as an FYI... most cosmetics are produced by 1 of 2 major brands and even then they don't produce them. They are actually produced by again 1 of 2 companies you have never heard of. The major label brands that you buy from simply have these companies tweak the product a bit to their liking and then put their name on it.

I mention this because I know that everyone gets very concerned with which cosmetics are gluten-free. To be honest knowing what I do, once I know one brand is gluten-free I tend to assume all brands owned by that parent company are ok.

For instance:

Estee Lauder produces: MAC, Bobbi Brown, Stila, Clinique, Chanel and tons more.

Lancome produces: L'Oreal, Revlon, Maybelline, Redken, and more.

Assuming that all products of any Brand are gluten-free is dangerous to your health. Unless a company states and can demonstrate that their entire line is gluten-free, you would be wise to check each product on an individual basis.

FYI: CHANEL is not owned by Estee Lauder. It is a private company owned by the same family that has owned it since Coco Chanel was still alive.

debmidge Rising Star

The Crabtree company's response bothers me too. Why would my doctor know more about their product than they do? My doctor doesn't manufacture the product: THEY DO! That infuriates me. It doesn't come across to me as CYA, but more "I'm so stupid I don't know what I put in my product." It screams "stupid" and "don't care."

• 4 years later...
Tina B Apprentice

If you get that kind of answer simply move on and use another product. I am not one of the people who feel that the world needs to cater to me just because I have a digestive abnormality. There are millions more products. My response would be: Thank you for your information and then just use something else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you get that kind of answer simply move on and use another product. I am not one of the people who feel that the world needs to cater to me just because I have a digestive abnormality. There are millions more products. My response would be: Thank you for your information and then just use something else.

I agree. One additonal note the original posts are from a real long time ago. Ingredients may have changed.

hawkgirl98 Newbie

I apologize for my ignorance, but why does this matter? I am recently diagnosed but 3 other members of my family were diagnosed years ago. No one pays attention to what is contained in makeup, shampoo, etc - my understanding as well from multiple books I have read is that the danger to your small intestine is strictly from ingesting gluten. Now something like toothpaste, I can understand since that is in your mouth, but what danger does a gluten-containing shampoo or other makeup possibly pose?

psawyer Proficient

... but what danger does a gluten-containing shampoo or other makeup possibly pose?

Shampoo can get on your face and into your mouth as you rinse. You may touch your face, thereby contacting the makeup, and then (for whatever reason) touch your lips without washing. Hand lotion can get into your mouth the same way. For those who are highly sensitive, this is a valid issue.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I found out today that Caswell Massey has a Natural line that includes hand soap, hand lotion and bar soap that is gluten free. It has it printed on the actual product. In case someone likes that company.

StephanieGF Rookie

Shampoo can get on your face and into your mouth as you rinse. You may touch your face, thereby contacting the makeup, and then (for whatever reason) touch your lips without washing. Hand lotion can get into your mouth the same way. For those who are highly sensitive, this is a valid issue.

Yes, also if you have long hair, your hair can blow into your face/mouth area. Happens to me all of the time, so gluten free shampoo and conditioner is very important to me. I saw a big improvement when I went completely gluten free on the cosmetics/shampoos/soaps/etc.

Sayuri Newbie

I need some help, i didnt even think of makeup or hair products or anything like that up until now...and i have no idea how to go about finding out if any of the brands i use are gluten free i was wondering if anyone else may know.. Heres a list of products ive been using:

Pur minerals (Mineral foundation)

Joico (Shampoo and conditioner and hair spray)

Lise watier (makeup)

La roche possay (Skin care)

Avene (Skin care)

Smashbox (makeup)

Mac (makeup)

Rimmel (mascara)

Bourjois (makeup)

Clinique,Roc, and Revlon (makeup)

I think thats about it those are most of the brands ive tried or use if anyone can give me advice it would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

• 6 years later...
feeling good Rookie

Celiac can have internal and external reactions. Not everyone is the same. Don't be ignorant about something that is so important to others health

Jmg Mentor
14 minutes ago, feeling good said:

Celiac can have internal and external reactions. Not everyone is the same. Don't be ignorant about something that is so important to others health

This is quite an old post fg, I think most of the participants are not likely to be active any more :)

kareng Grand Master
4 hours ago, feeling good said:

These  posts are from 2005 to 2010

a Celiac must consume gluten to have a Celiac reaction.  Technically, you could roll in wheat flour and be fine - as long as you don't swallow any.  

Open Original Shared Link

Archived