This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

rumberg

rumberg Rookie

New with celiac, cleaning kitchen.  Love this site but a few questions:  Do you throw away knives that have the hard black plastic type handle?  It is  not a smooth handle so is treated like all plastic in kitchen?  What is the blade has minor scratch?  Don't know if the I have to give  up expensive carving knives.  Do all serrated knives go? (I have seen both yes and no on this)  Aluminum or stainless pots that have some scratches?   Pressure cooker with some scratches?  Can a bread machine really be cleaned?  Mine is new and used twice.  Our vacuum cleaner has plastic filter and dirt holder (versus a filter bag).  It is  a Dyson.  Is this a form of cross contamination I should worry about?  What about plastic pitchers that don't seem scratched?  Should I assume all plastic has at some point in time been exposed at least on the outside to gluten from hands  or sitting on gluttened countertop so should throw out ALL PLASTIC items?  What about the plastic electric tooth brushes?  I am sure i have done baking at some point in time and then went and brushed my teeth contaminating the grip site of the toothbrush.  I know I have  lots of questions and tried to find these answers unsuccessfully.  I would really appreciate some guidance.  I am also asymptomatic so if I do this cleaning wrong, i can go a long time not knowing i am getting glutened.  If you are asymptomatic, how often is typical for blood testing to help?  Thanks to the kind souls in advance who take the time to help me out here.!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi rumberg,

You''ll probably get varying opinions on this plastic question.  Myself I think plastics are ok if the aren't old and all scratched up.  Plastics are generally not real absorbent after all.  I wouldn't throw metal knives away either.  Just clean them well, possibly with some steel wool.

Now a toothbrush fro gluteny days is a different story.  I'd chuck that sucker!  Or maybe just the brush head if it is removeable/replaceable.

Metals are even less porus than plastics.  So they should be good if cleaned well.  The bread machine is questionable IMHO.  It may not be possible to clean it well enough.   Flour is quite airy and can get into small crevices and that's bad.  So maybe it's tie for a chuck on the bread machine too.  Most bread machines are not set up to make gluten-free breads anyway.  gluten-free breads are quite different in prep from regular bread.

Welcome to the forum rumberg! :)

rumberg Rookie

Thanks for responding.  Being asymptomatic, I want to be as responsible about cleaning as possible up front. Boy this can bring out almost an OCD attitude!  Never heard any talk about vacuum cleaners but this could be  a source to spread gluten all over the house I would think.  The Oral B electric toothbrush has plastic and rubber on handle so probably has been exposed to gluten from hands or mouth.  I have exchanged head and for now will wash hands after each use.  Should I assume cleaning your hands from gluten exposure means a simple wash with soap and water?  The list of questions seems to be building!  It is nice to see that you have been a member since 2007 (a pro) and yet are still taking time to help out the newbies.  Thanks again.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi rumberg,

Yep, soap and water should do it.  I cleaned out a cast iron skillet when I went gluten-free by scrubbing it with steel wool and boiling soapy water in it.  It worked fine.

I think when people first go gluten-free they are pretty sensitive to any gluten they encounter.  As years go by and our systems heal we may not have such a fired up immune system all the dang time and may not react as strongly to minor glutenings.

So you have no digestive symptoms?  We call that silent celiac.  I suggest you be tested after 6 months and 1 year to start with.  It is nice to know your test results are going down and you are doing thing right.  So testing can tell you that.

I live in a house with gluten eaters now.  They aren't real careful either.  But I seldom have a problem.  I rinse silverware before using it, same with dishes.  I have my own cookware too.  And I do most of my own cooking.  It is possible, you just have to be aware/careful.

I always suggest new gluten-free people stick to mostly whole foods they cook themselves.  Eat mostly meats, veggies, nuts, fruits, eggs.  Avoid all dairy for a few months if it causes symptoms.  Don't eat out in restaurants until 6 months or so or until you have mastered? the gluten-free diet.  There is a Newbie 101 thread in the Coping With subsection that has some getting started tips.

You should be tested for nutrient (vitamins/minerals) deficiencies also.  Celiac disease can cause malabsorptoin of nutrients.  Which turn out to be important things regardless of how boring they sounded in school.

There are several old farts around the forum that are purty helpful.  Even if we don't know the answer we can usually make something up! :)

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Iron, calcium, and Vitamin D are the most common deficiencies, but some present with deficiencies in B12, copper, folate, magnesium, niacin, riboflavin, and/or zinc. Nutrient deficiencies associated with celiac disease are due to intestinal damage caused by protein in wheat, rye, and barley. In most cases, nutrient deficiencies that were caused by damage from celiac disease will naturally resolve as your intestine heals. Many gluten-free dieters choose foods that aren’t fortified with vitamins and minerals like their gluten-containing counterparts. Thus, we suggest a general multivitamin to prevent against nutritional deficiencies. August, 2015

squirmingitch Veteran

Wash the plastic filter & dirt holder on the Dyson. Just wash the OralB plastic & rubber handle with soap & water & change the head & you're good to go. I have the same toothbrush (they're great aren't they?) and it didn't kill me.:)

Yes, about the OCD thing, at least especially in the beginning. That's normal. You'll calm down after a while & you get more sure of yourself.

I still recall something an old timer posted when I was still rather new. I think it might have been GFinDC who said it. Something to the effect of for the first 6 months to a year everyone we see we see them as having celiac and we think all the wheat fields should be burned. LOL! It's true! Actually, even though I know better now, I still have daydreams about burning all the wheat fields. What happy daydreams!:lol:

Oh but kissing gluten eaters! Now that's another story altogether. NO kissing hubs if he's eaten or drank gluten until he's brushed his teeth well.

rumberg Rookie

I will never forget the kindness of his time (GFinDC), just as you remembered some of his words.  Thanks for giving me a chuckle.  I have the hubby thing squared away....."Unless you too are gluten free, due to cross contamination, we can't have sex."  Of course he is clueless and actually believes me.  Hence, HE HAS CHOSEN to go gluten free!:):)  Of course I will tell him the truth AFTER we get the gluten out of this house and he discovers I have learned to cook better than I ever did pre gluten---hoping he will still then choose to go gluten free with me!  Our kids are grown and gone so a gluten free home is my goal...time will tell if he ultimately cooperates!  ;)

squirmingitch Veteran

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Now YOU gave me the chuckle!

Hey, you never know....... your hubs just might find out he does a whole lot better off of gluten. It's really so much easier and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less stressful (for both of you) when the household is gluten free. My hubs was not dx'd until 5 months after I was & only b/c I then knew the signs & symptoms - he was in denial for at least 2 months -- just like a man eh? Yes, it actually does happen! Matter of fact, there are 2 of us on here presently whose spouses are celiac. For that 5 months though, we were both so edgy. I was worried about not getting cc'd and he was terrified he would cc me. What a relief when we took the entire house gluten free. Like you, no kids at home, just the 2 of us.

BTW, while I'm thinking about it, all first degree relatives need to be tested every 2 years in the absence of symptoms and immediately if symptoms present.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived