This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

IgA Results

Jake17

Jake17 Newbie

I'm not sure if this is a personal topic to talk about or not but I was just wondering what other peoples IgA level was after they got there blood work results in? Mine seemed very high but I wanted to know what other people's number was? Mine was 128.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

Do you mean total IgA?  Or Ttg or Dgp IgA?

jean9v Rookie

Actually, based on your age...your IgA is a bit low.... see chart.. I have IgA definentcy... so I had a false negative when I was tested for Celiac... Question: Do you ever have a hard time recovering from a common cold... meaning: that it takes you longer than some ? or that you feel like you have a sinus infection that lasts for weeks or is just chronic ?

The reference range of immunoglobulin A (IgA) based on age is as follows:

• Age 0-1 years: 0-83 mg/dL
  • Age 1-3 years: 20-100 mg/dL
  • Age 4-6 years: 27-195 mg/dL
  • Age 7-9 years: 34-305 mg/dL
  • Age 10-11 years: 53-204 mg/dL
  • Age 12-13 years: 58-358 mg/dL
  • Age 14-15 years: 47-249 mg/dL
  • Age 16-19 years: 61-348 mg/dL
  • Older than 19 years: 70-400 mg/dL
How long have you realized that you have Celiac ?

Jeannine
elykoj Rookie

I'm confused by the chart you posted? my daughter who is 9, her value was 36 on the TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA .

negative < 20 units

weak positive 20-30 units'

moderate/strong positive >30

according to your chart she is within normal range for age??

GFinDC Veteran

Serum IgA doesn't diagnose celiac disease.  It is just a proof that the immune system makes IgA antibodies.  Some people are IgA deficient, they don't make normal amounts of IgA).  So for those people the IgA tests are no good.  They have to use the IgG tests instead.

elykoj Rookie

so you are saying that this test does not mean she is highly likely to have celiac?  she also had the Gluten IgE test awhile back which was negative? not sure what this test shows if anything?

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, elykoj said:

I'm confused by the chart you posted? my daughter who is 9, her value was 36 on the TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA .

negative < 20 units

weak positive 20-30 units'

moderate/strong positive >30

according to your chart she is within normal range for age??

Whoa!  That is a positive (TTG IgA) for celiac for your daughter.   The next step is usually to obtain biopsies via an endoscopy.   The other posters were talking about Just IgA alone.  For celiac testing,  this test is used as a control test to see if the TTG IgA is working.   Used alone the IGA test cchecks for an IgA deficiency as gluten-free in DC stated.  

Learn more from the reputable site (University of Chicago seems to have the best written site of all the major celiac centers):

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 minutes ago, elykoj said:

so you are saying that this test does not mean she is highly likely to have celiac?  she also had the Gluten IgE test awhile back which was negative? not sure what this test shows if anything?

You only need one positive on the complete celiac panel.  

elykoj Rookie

so GFinDC IS WRONG ABOUT HER STATEMENT? we cannot afford the biopsy, what does it cost? daughter has zero symptoms and this screen was ran for other issue.

elykoj Rookie

Just looking at labs their are these tests as well

Immunoglob A subclasses 1and 2

immunoglobin A RANGE IS 45-234   hers is 116

IgA subclass 1     33-204  hers is 84

IgA subclass 2     2-37    hers is 12

ravenwoodglass Mentor
57 minutes ago, elykoj said:

so GFinDC IS WRONG ABOUT HER STATEMENT? we cannot afford the biopsy, what does it cost? daughter has zero symptoms and this screen was ran for other issue.

No GFinDC was talking about the total IGA not the TTG IGA. Your daughters test was positive so it is likely she does have celiac. You say she has no symptoms but celiac has over 200 symptoms and not everyone gets the tummy issues  that are severe in the beginning. She really should have the biopsy done if possible. If not then a trial of the diet is in order. It may help whatever issues she is having that prompted her doctor to order the celiac testing. Also since she has had a positive test all first degree relatives should be tested, mother, father and any brothers or sisters.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
23 minutes ago, elykoj said:

Just looking at labs their are these tests as well

Immunoglob A subclasses 1and 2

immunoglobin A RANGE IS 45-234   hers is 116

IgA subclass 1     33-204  hers is 84

IgA subclass 2     2-37    hers is 12

The test I bolded is the total IGA. That test is to make sure that she makes enough IGA for IGA testing to be accurate.

The TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA  is the test to check for celiac, hers was positive.

elykoj Rookie

she was tested as normal blood work for her mosaic Turners syndrome. but honestly she has no health issues besides a monitored heart condition. Her mothers levels are elevated as well but never did biopsy. I have had numerous intestinal surgeries due to UC and my blood work and biopsies were always negative for Celiac. Her sister who is almost 2 years older than her tested negative on bloodwork as well as biopsy a few years ago. she was checked in part due to persistant cough and frequent constipation since birth.  Cant afford a scope/biopsy anytime soon so probably just go gluten free at this point. Her endocrinologist stated it could mean celiac and wants her blood rechecked in 6 months and make determination at that time.but agreed only way to know for sure is biopsy. so this screen is the most accurate? how often should one get tested ? like I said my other daughter was negative on both a few years ago, how often should she be checked again? if at all?

Archived