This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Constipated

Kamoku

Kamoku Newbie

I've been on a gluten free diet for almost 9 months now, after being diagnosed with gluten sensitivity. Anyways, I've always had constipation. Ever since I was a baby, I was put on Miralax to help.

I'm 15, and still have constipation. I exercise, I eat healthy and watch labels, I drink lots of water everyday and take Miralax. I use my own butter and peanut butter jars, I have my own utensils, and a lot of my food is certified gluten free.

I usually only have 1 bowel movement a week. My poop (I know, gross) is like little pooplets. I don't go back to the doctor until February. Can someone help me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Kamoku,

Maybe you should try giving up dairy for a month or 2.  See if it helps any.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I had this issues for years, mine mostly cleared up after a gluten-free diet. Mine was so bad even a box of exlax would do nothing, only thing that ever got me moving was 2 whole bottles of magnesium citrate laxative. Now days I will admit both magnesium citrate, and magnesium glycinate are part of my daily regime, along with drinking a whole 12-20oz of coffee or tea every 2 hours during the day. These could have something to do with regulating it a bit more along with my very high fiber diet. I consume at least 50g of fiber a day sometimes more then 90g mostly from coconut, whole seeds, and almonds. Examples are Whole Pumpkin seeds are about 15g of fiber a once, same with whole hemp seeds. Coconut flour is another fiber power house and I consume 2-4tbsp of it a day in meals.

So perhaps upping your fiber and seeing about a magnesium supplement, and I also agree with GFinDC about dropping that should also help.

Posterboy Mentor

Kamoko,

Gluten Free 9 months should be more than enough time to be regular.

Try changing your laxative.  Sometimes overuse of some laxatives can contribute to the constipation you are trying to avoid.  Taking iron supplements are also known to cause constipation.

I used Colace and Pericolace for years to gently cause a regular movement before I found about Magnesium Citrate like Ennis_Tex mentioned above.  Plus it helps fatigue and muscle cramps too.  Space your doses 200 to 300mg 3 to 4 hours apart and you can take another dose.  Best taken 3/day for maximum benefit and 2 hours before bedtime if fatigue is an issue or muscle cramps are a problem for you.

Also how is your thyroid.

Here is a link that describes how a thyroid condition (that could of been caused by gluten) can contribute to constipation.

Open Original Shared Link

Your pooplet comment triggered this search.  I was telling my doctor a few years ago about my dads movements and he mentioned a possible thyroid problem/connection back then.

It couldn't hurt to check.  Take your body temperature in the evening if it more than 1 point low or high then you could have a thyroid problem and don't know it yet.

Some say a 1/2 point or more but if it more than 1 point high or low in the evening then your thyroid could be contributing to your yet unexplained constipation.

I hope this is helpful.

posterboy,

Kamoku Newbie

My thyroid Is normal. I've also been taking Vitamin D supplements for 9 months.

I looked at Colace and Pericolace, I have a hard time swallowing pills, but, I will ask my mom about Magnesium Citrate, they seem to come in liquid forms. And I will try to up my fiber.

My mom and dad think that my Autism could be the cause of my Gastro issues. Don't know though.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
6 hours ago, Kamoku said:

My mom and dad think that my Autism could be the cause of my Gastro issues. Don't know though.

Going to say this is likely vise versa, I have Asperger and my symptoms with it are much worse after gluten exposure. The way celiac disease effects my brain with the fog, etc. It becomes much harder to try to act normal, and compromise between my urges, and thought process and what is expected of a normal person.  

On the magnesium Citrate I use a powdered version (Natural Vitality brand Natural Calm) I order online and dose it out as needed mixing it into tea, same with the Magnesium Glycinate (Doctors Best Brand). In fact most of my supplements for my B vitamins etc are also in a liquid version (Liquid Health) for mixing into a beverage to drink it.

Archived