This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Diagnosis has triggered health anxiety and I'm struggling

Fbmb

Fbmb Rising Star

I was diagnosed with celiac in November, and my toddler was officially diagnosed this month. I have taken it in stride and have powered through, as I know I have no other options. I also wasn't totally shocked, because I have a family history of celiac and a few other autoimmune diseases.

that said, I have major health anxiety. I was always a healthy person, but was raised around a lot of illness, so I am phobic about illness. I have diagnosed myself with dozens of diseases. I am in therapy and I'm part of an online support group, so I know I have this problem and I am trying to cope. 

I was obsessed with illness before my diagnosis. Now I'm hyper-obsessed. I am terrified that this celiac diagnosis opens the door for other autoimmune diseases. I heard that lymphoma is a risk for people with celiac so I am terrified of every single palpable node. My mother had primary biliary cholangitis when I was little and had a transplant when I was 9 and I am terrified I'm going to get her disease (though I know that would be rare). My father is suffering with alcoholic cirrhosis, so my anxiety about my liver is amped. I am obsessing over what I eat, over every single pain. I am depressed because I am terrified that I'm going to die at a young age. 

Celiac doesn't scare me. It sucks. But the fact that I can control it with my diet is comforting because I'm a control freak. It's the fear that this opens the door for other diseases. I don't want to get pregnant again because I'm afraid it will trigger another autoimmune disease - like my mom's.

I figure, someone on here has to understand me. This anxiety is stealing my joy. I am sad and afraid all the time. I hoped that going gluten free would help since I know that anxiety is a symptom. But so far I don't feel better. 

Anyone experiencing this too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fbmb Rising Star

When I say I'm obsessed with what I eat I mean that I'm obsessed with more than just gluten. I constantly think "could this cause cancer? Could this hurt my liver? Is this too much sodium?" 

Christmas is coming and I want to be happy. I just want to crawl into bed and cry. 

ironictruth Proficient
16 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I was diagnosed with celiac in November, and my toddler was officially diagnosed this month. I have taken it in stride and have powered through, as I know I have no other options. I also wasn't totally shocked, because I have a family history of celiac and a few other autoimmune diseases.

that said, I have major health anxiety. I was always a healthy person, but was raised around a lot of illness, so I am phobic about illness. I have diagnosed myself with dozens of diseases. I am in therapy and I'm part of an online support group, so I know I have this problem and I am trying to cope. 

I was obsessed with illness before my diagnosis. Now I'm hyper-obsessed. I am terrified that this celiac diagnosis opens the door for other autoimmune diseases. I heard that lymphoma is a risk for people with celiac so I am terrified of every single palpable node. My mother had primary biliary cholangitis when I was little and had a transplant when I was 9 and I am terrified I'm going to get her disease (though I know that would be rare). My father is suffering with alcoholic cirrhosis, so my anxiety about my liver is amped. I am obsessing over what I eat, over every single pain. I am depressed because I am terrified that I'm going to die at a young age. 

Celiac doesn't scare me. It sucks. But the fact that I can control it with my diet is comforting because I'm a control freak. It's the fear that this opens the door for other diseases. I don't want to get pregnant again because I'm afraid it will trigger another autoimmune disease - like my mom's.

I figure, someone on here has to understand me. This anxiety is stealing my joy. I am sad and afraid all the time. I hoped that going gluten free would help since I know that anxiety is a symptom. But so far I don't feel better. 

Anyone experiencing this too?

I am so sorry. I have this as well.  Most of my anxiety comes from not actually having an official diagnosis and still being quite sick.  I am terrified that by the time they figure out what I actually have It will be been too late. But I can totally relaTe.

Unless you are extremely not capable of functioning during the day I would highly recommend you stay away from benzos.  I started taking Xanax to deal with a lot of my health issues and now I'm pretty convinced that I'm actually having withdrawal from it physically, not mentally.  They are nasty drugs and in my opinion not worth it.

I still get incredibly anxious, for example I'm pretty sure I have a vein or blood vessel that burst in my palm today. Because it was itching hurting and now there's a giant bruise underneath my skin. This makes me nervous because I have no idea what it is or what caused it.   I also have heart palpitations and buzzing and pain in my left leg and shortness of breath. In addition to abdominal pain nausea pressure in the head.

One of the things that has helped me, and this seems kind of dark, is to take out additional insurance policies to benefit my family. I'm a single mom so I also taught my young son how to use a landline.  I even did something really crazy and wrote him a letter recently and sealed it and left it somewhere where someone I know could give it to him.  It seems over-the-top but these things make me feel better.

You are still really very early in the diagnosis.  I guess we have to remind ourselves that at any time we can develop anything. We could get hit by a car, get cancer, get shot, and the list goes on.  Oddly it is probably exactly the fact that you do have control over this that is giving you so much anxiety over what you don't have control that's connected to it.

I wish I could help unfortunately I recently came to the realization that I too will have to go see a counselor to deal with my issues that have resulted in the last year of unknown Health causes and still searching.

Find a really good counselor, and I don't mean somebody who's all fluffy and doesn't seem to really want to delve that much. I mean someone who can really get to the root of why this is causing so much stress for you.  then let me know who it is. Lol. 

I used to do research in the philosophy of Psychiatry and one of the newer more popular Fields is philosophy Psychiatry and evolutionary theory.  there is a lot of research about the reasons that we have emotions and certain mental States like paranoia anxiety and fear. And how these things evolved as we did.  it may be helpful to just do some basic internet research on that evolutionary theory of anxiety. For starters it would take your mind off of  the actual scary thoughts for a while cuz you'll be Reading about something else, and it may actually help you gain some perspective and give you permission to feel anxious for a little while.  Which by the way you have the right to feel anxious for some time over all of this. And you may just have to get through that process in order to be able to function more normally again. It is a very early diagnosis since November.

Fbmb Rising Star
5 minutes ago, ironictruth said:

I am so sorry. I have this as well.  Most of my anxiety comes from not actually having an official diagnosis and still being quite sick.  I am terrified that by the time they figure out what I actually have It will be been too late. But I can totally relaTe.

Unless you are extremely not capable of functioning during the day I would highly recommend you stay away from benzos.  I started taking Xanax to deal with a lot of my health issues and now I'm pretty convinced that I'm actually having withdrawal from it physically, not mentally.  They are nasty drugs and in my opinion not worth it.

I still get incredibly anxious, for example I'm pretty sure I have a vein or blood vessel that burst in my palm today. Because it was itching hurting and now there's a giant bruise underneath my skin. This makes me nervous because I have no idea what it is or what caused it.   I also have heart palpitations and buzzing and pain in my left leg and shortness of breath. In addition to abdominal pain nausea pressure in the head.

One of the things that has helped me, and this seems kind of dark, is to take out additional insurance policies to benefit my family. I'm a single mom so I also taught my young son how to use a landline.  I even did something really crazy and wrote him a letter recently and sealed it and left it somewhere where someone I know could give it to him.  It seems over-the-top but these things make me feel better.

You are still really very early in the diagnosis.  I guess we have to remind ourselves that at any time we can develop anything. We could get hit by a car, get cancer, get shot, and the list goes on.  Oddly it is probably exactly the fact that you do have control over this that is giving you so much anxiety over what you don't have control that's connected to it.

I wish I could help unfortunately I recently came to the realization that I too will have to go see a counselor to deal with my issues that have resulted in the last year of unknown Health causes and still searching.

Find a really good counselor, and I don't mean somebody who's all fluffy and doesn't seem to really want to delve that much. I mean someone who can really get to the root of why this is causing so much stress for you.  then let me know who it is. Lol. 

I used to do research in the philosophy of Psychiatry and one of the newer more popular Fields is philosophy Psychiatry and evolutionary theory.  there is a lot of research about the reasons that we have emotions and certain mental States like paranoia anxiety and fear. And how these things evolved as we did.  it may be helpful to just do some basic internet research on that evolutionary theory of anxiety. For starters it would take your mind off of  the actual scary thoughts for a while cuz you'll be Reading about something else, and it may actually help you gain some perspective and give you permission to feel anxious for a little while.  Which by the way you have the right to feel anxious for some time over all of this. And you may just have to get through that process in order to be able to function more normally again. It is a very early diagnosis since November.

I'm sorry that you struggle with health anxiety too. It's awful. I know where it comes from. I come by it honestly. I'm an only child who witnessed a ton of trauma (surrounding illness) as a child. And nobody ever thought i should see a counselor. Then when I was about 21 I spiraled. And it's been hell ever since. For me, I have very few symptoms of anything. Much of what I fear is conjured up in my head. I'll feel for hours for lumps and bumps. Go from doctor to doctor. Before my celiac diagnosis I was convinced I had something life threatening. And I was hardly symptomatic. I found out about my celiac because I'm crazy about testing and I threw it in the mix of tests. 

Im just looking for someone to provide me clarity. I'm sick of hearing "don't worry about what you can't control". That sounds good in theory. But people with anxiety don't have the ability. So where does that leave me? How do I not live in fear? Educating myself helps. Then sometimes I think I know just enough to be dangerous. This anxiety has totally stolen my joy. And now that I actually "have" something I find the anxiety totally crippling.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I found a anti stress supplement (Liquid Health Stress & Energy) that I take in partial doses through out the day along with magnesium supplements (Calm Vitality, and Doctors Best), seems to help. I also walk a lot, I find pacing or calling a friend and talking out my issues to help.  The whole gluten thing drove me nuts and the brain damaged that resulted from it with the mind fog etc. made processing my issues a lot harder. Foods that help me relax and feel better are chocolate, hemp seeds, and Pumpkin Seeds/Pumpkin Protein Powder. Along with drinking this tea with st. johns wort from republic of tea called get happy. I also use CBD oil in a vape pen when it gets really bad.

Redwindy Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac in January 2015. Had multiple symptoms whole life but I find that anxiety has multiplied x100! I know how you feel about excessive worry of other diseases. I get even more anxious during holidays. So afraid to get sick don't want to spend 8hrs at ER.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Many others gave great advice and suggestions. I would like to add since you just got diagnosed and went gluten-free the physiological effects gluten can have on the body systems that effect mood like hormones, histamine, serotonin, dopamine receptors in the brain , even  cardiovascular palpitations symptoms can cause issues. These maybe more vast then researchers may even know at this time or what is published in current literature. Your body needs time to heal physically, physiologically, and mentally. It is ok to have a bad day. I hope soon your bad days turn to mediocore, then good, then fantastic.

Lastly, I have had multiple Intolerances to other foods / grains etc. that have developed this year. They can trigger symptoms of irritability for me mood wise and many other of my gluten exposed symptoms even though gluten I didn't eat gluten. For me gluten is the one that really effects me but once Gluten damages me the cascade starts the domino of other intolerances to fall.

As you said we really have no choice but to be accepting and patient of our bodies while they heal. I even have developed problems with rice that I never had before my 2016 gluten challenge. As you may read on the forums and some DR.s may not explain is some of us have to go off all processed foods, others may need to drop grains, fats, or starches,  etc. If symptoms continue past dropping gluten from the diet. 

I hope it's not the case for you, but if you continue to have issues consider monitoring the other culprits as your immune system  is very much on high alert right now and your symptoms may have another food or food additive trigger wreking havoc on your mood.

Good luck 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fbmb Rising Star

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just misinformed or if I'm researching myself into a frenzy. Like, how common is it for a person with celiac to get MS? I know that a percentage of people with MS have celiac, but I don't know what the stats are for someone with celiac having MS. My son has celiac and I'm terrified he is going to get type 1 diabetes. I don't have it. But I have an aunt and an uncle who do, and they also have celiac.

i guess I just assume this is a death sentence. Not the celiac itself- but the scary things I've read that are connected. Cancer, MS, diabetes, etc. 

can someone who knows more than I do offer any clarity? Because my GI looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told him all of this....

I read a book by Judy Berger titled misdiagnosed: one woman's tour and escape from healthcare land. In the book she describes how her MRI showed white matter lesions indicative of MS. She goes on a journey through the book and reveals in the end it was gluten. Her's is an example of gluten and the damage it can do to the brain. It's autobiographical not a scientific based work. I can't recall all the details of the book but after being gluten-free for some time I believe a subsequent MRI revealed  her lesions were gone. Hmm? 

They call celiac the great mimic and it manifests all kinds of symptoms. Can they all be connected gluten touches so many systems. I think so compatmentalizing illness and symptoms may not be the best practice for patient health but it's necessary based on practitioner training expertise must be chosen. However we are all organisms as a whole a connection of interconnected systems not isolated parts.

You state you have lots of mood based issues right now. I will respectfully suggest you channel it for good. Do you utilize a local library ? My suggestion Check out Some celiac based books both science/ MD and auto biography types to help you at this tumultuous time. Then in addition to that check out some gluten-free cooking or Paleo books. This can help you channel your energy right now, make you feel less frightened, and alone in addition to visiting Celiac.com. We are all in various states of illness or healing and sometimes it helps to read up on the history of celiac in medicine and people's celiac autobiographies in addition to what is here. It helps to read one journey from start to finish not just excerpts of many.

If your library doesn't have a particar book ask a librarian about interlibrary loans. They will get the book for you from another library. I am a huge advocate of reading and the public library system. Often times they even have a research librarian who can get you the full research medical or scientific article from journals when only an abstract is online. It's your tax dollars they are there to help. Utilize them. In a nutshell I'm all about science and education it is my core and touches every aspect of my life. 

Lastly, consider viewing recipes on celiac.com and visiting pintrist they have additional recipes to aid you. Try to Distract the neurons that are mood based right now, while your body works to heal. reading and researching will educate, empower, distract you and may cause other neural pathways to detract from the pervasive mood pathway. Distract, redirect is something I use in education. I'm not a Dr but have a bio degree and still voraciously read all things bio. Add in my gluten issues , I form my own personal experience opinions too.

Yes, there are research articles that show a possible link of diabetes type 1 and celiac in same subjects. It does not mean every celiac will go on to develop diabetes type 1 or that every diabetic type 1 is diagnosed as Celiac.  Take a deep breath, tell yourself that . Then please consider channeling some energy to a different part of the brain by reading, exercise, hobbies etc to distract that mood pathway that is dominating your brain until things settle down. 

Some books I read were:

Celiac disease: a hidden epidemic by Peter Green and Rory Jones

Understanding Celiac disease: an introduction for patients and caregivers by Naheed Ali

The food intolerance bible Anthony J Hayes and Antoinette Savill

Jennifer's way by Jennifer Esposito

Dough Nation : A nurses memoir (she touches on the socio, political and economic factors of the disease that many others do not cover) as a nurse she explains how people looked at her like she had 3 heads. Her own comrades so to speak. If her own comrades dismiss her they can easily do it to  us lay people.

Good luck, hugs, channel that energy if you can. I was raised by a nurse and she taught me this skill which is one I utilize throughout my lifetime. It is a great gift she bestowed me no matter what challenge I face. Even if she herself missed my gluten issues, they didn't teach celiac or nutrition much in her college studies and training. she helped best she could in other ways and gave me this essential gift. 

Now I share her wisdom with you. Channel that energy!

cyclinglady Grand Master

While it is great to become informd about celiac disease, it may not be a good idea when you are still recovering -- especially when you are anxious.  Stop Googling about the disease.  Instead Google about the gluten-free diet and tips in becoming successful in mastering and maintaining your new diet.  

MS is not strongly linked to celiac disease.  TD1, and thyroiditis are strongly linked.  Usually, a TD1 diagnosis is found before a celiac disease, but not the other way around.  Once you have an autoimmune disorder, you may acquire more in your LIFETIME.  But it is either going to happen or it won't.  I think by reducing inflammation by adhering to a gluten-free diet will help.  

Soon, you will feel better.  You probably will not feel anxious.  You just need time.  Focus on the joys in your life and be thankful your AI disorder can be managed with diet instead of with drugs.  You can prevent flare-ups unlike someone with lupus or MS.  

Now go make some gluten-free cookies.  I am baking Kolackys (Polish Christmas Cookies) this morning.  Next, a lemon pound cake.  yum!

Fbmb Rising Star
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

While it is great to become informd about celiac disease, it may not be a good idea when you are still recovering -- especially when you are anxious.  Stop Googling about the disease.  Instead Google about the gluten-free diet and tips in becoming successful in mastering and maintaining your new diet.  

MS is not strongly linked to celiac disease.  TD1, and thyroiditis are strongly linked.  Usually, a TD1 diagnosis is found before a celiac disease, but not the other way around.  Once you have an autoimmune disorder, you may acquire more in your LIFETIME.  But it is either going to happen or it won't.  I think by reducing inflammation by adhering to a gluten-free diet will help.  

Soon, you will feel better.  You probably will not feel anxious.  You just need time.  Focus on the joys in your life and be thankful your AI disorder can be managed with diet instead of with drugs.  You can prevent flare-ups unlike someone with lupus or MS.  

Now go make some gluten-free cookies.  I am baking Kolackys (Polish Christmas Cookies) this morning.  Next, a lemon pound cake.  yum!

I was 29 and at stage 3b when I was diagnosed. I think that more than anything I worry that I've had this for so long. What damage could it have done? Is 29 young for a diagnosis? Old? My son's bloodwork shows he has celiac and his biopsy was at stage 1. He is 3 and thankfully we caught it early. But I do worry that I've had it for this many years, without symptoms, and never knew. My bloodwork was always great, I felt fine, looked fine, my stomach was seemingly fine. But all along I had this. That scares me. Does it to a lot of irreversible damage?

squirmingitch Veteran

99% positive that at your age ALL the damage is reversible. I won't say 100% positive b/c well, frankly, nothing in life is 100% right? Cyclinglady had Marsh stage 3b & she's a lot older than you. 55 now I think, right cycling? She's doing great! 

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, squirmingitch said:

99% positive that at your age ALL the damage is reversible. I won't say 100% positive b/c well, frankly, nothing in life is 100% right? Cyclinglady had Marsh stage 3b & she's a lot older than you. 55 now I think, right cycling? She's doing great! 

I think i am doing well, but long time member, Peter, was re-checked at 5 years (biopsy) and he had complete intestinal healing.  Those that do not heal?  Research shows that a big chunk of them are still gettting exposed to gluten (either by choice or cross contamination). 

Fbmb Rising Star
20 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I think i am doing well, but long time member, Peter, was re-checked at 5 years (biopsy) and he had complete intestinal healing.  Those that do not heal?  Research shows that a big chunk of them are still gettting exposed to gluten (either by choice or cross contamination). 

Is stage 3b a typical finding when someone is diagnosed? Or is that uncommon and severe?

GFinDC Veteran

Hi FBMB,

There are several members of the forum who have multiple AI diseases.  Probably the longer you have celiac and continue to eat gluten, the more likely it is to get a 2nd AI disease.  But probably is all we gots, there aren't any research studies about that I don't think.  Those members are posting and helping others live with celiac disease.  They are still alive and not curling up in a ball and giving up.

You may feel less anxious after you have healed a while.  B- vitamins can be important for nerve health and you may be low on some of them.   Your healing will allow you to absorb more vitamins and allow your body to heal more.  And your anxiousness will probably go away.

Yes, it takes a while to get better.  6 months perhaps to learn the gluten-free diet and maybe a year to year and a half to recover.   The better job you do of avoiding gluten, the sooner you will heal.

Every week gluten-free is another week towards health for you.

cyclinglady Grand Master
6 hours ago, Fbmb said:

Is stage 3b a typical finding when someone is diagnosed? Or is that uncommon and severe?

It is probably common.  Research shows that 1 in 130 (or so) of the population has celiac disease.  MOST are undiagnosed.  Because symptoms vary from person to person, it is hard for doctors to diagnose.  Testing is best, but it would be expensive to test everyone.  By the time it is caught, most damage is moderate to severe.  But the gut heals FAST.  It normally takes a celiac a year or so to heal.  Why?  Learning the gluten-free diet has a very  STEEP learning curve.  People make mistakes and there are set backs.  Once mastered, they heal.  The other reason is damage beyond the gut like osteoporosis or anemia.  That takes longer to resolve.  

dc28110 Newbie

I would suggest reading "The Wahl's Protocol". I've had Celiac for many years, and have had similar issues to what you're experiencing.  I'm having so many allergic reactions at this point that I'm finally willing to do the Autoimmune Diet and really do believe what they're saying about what's in our food and what it's doing to us.  They now think I have MS on top of Celiac, Colitis and Cystitis and I'm sick of living this way.  Feeling sick everytime you eat is so stressful and I do believe what a lot of the new clinical trials are showing - that we can heal ourselves by diet.  Modern medicine has failed me terribly and I react adversely to every treatment they've tried.  This diet seems to be the only thing thats actually helping.  Hope this helps.

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, dc28110 said:

I would suggest reading "The Wahl's Protocol". I've had Celiac for many years, and have had similar issues to what you're experiencing.  I'm having so many allergic reactions at this point that I'm finally willing to do the Autoimmune Diet and really do believe what they're saying about what's in our food and what it's doing to us.  They now think I have MS on top of Celiac, Colitis and Cystitis and I'm sick of living this way.  Feeling sick everytime you eat is so stressful and I do believe what a lot of the new clinical trials are showing - that we can heal ourselves by diet.  Modern medicine has failed me terribly and I react adversely to every treatment they've tried.  This diet seems to be the only thing thats actually helping.  Hope this helps.

I heard her Ted Talk.   Only good can come out of eating whole natural foods.  Let's face it, we eat way too many processed foods.  

Just curious, how are your celiac antibody levels?  

Hi fbmb,

I thought of you on holiday weekend . As you see the celiac.com community came out in force to help you at this trying time. You found the right place to help get you to the right place. I hope you had good few days of improved mood. Most of all trust your gut will lead you. I've visited Whal' s site in past and 2 other autoimmune MDs who embrace dietary healing as posters above said. Nothing like an MD to juxtapose the "norm" "buck tradition" thinking of their industry. They have to be true believers from personal experience and passionate to go out on that limb!

The food protocol experience speaks volumes to get back to basics food vs. Less technological pharma etc. Don't get me wrong they have their place just not for everything. Things former historical cultures did prior to any created stuff.

Well I hope all is looking up. Hope you checked out some books or website with lots of gluten-free food ideas. I batch freeze biweekly or monthly some pretty good smoothies that are great to toss in blender while I get the kids of to school. Some of the green  ones are a great to start with. Anti-inflammatory with veggie component, but with carefully selected fruits to balance out taste. Not bad and to boot easier to digest for you current state. Also the more you plan ahead the less stress and the easier it gets. 

Good luck

Fbmb Rising Star
6 hours ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Hi fbmb,

I thought of you on holiday weekend . As you see the celiac.com community came out in force to help you at this trying time. You found the right place to help get you to the right place. I hope you had good few days of improved mood. Most of all trust your gut will lead you. I've visited Whal' s site in past and 2 other autoimmune MDs who embrace dietary healing as posters above said. Nothing like an MD to juxtapose the "norm" "buck tradition" thinking of their industry. They have to be true believers from personal experience and passionate to go out on that limb!

The food protocol experience speaks volumes to get back to basics food vs. Less technological pharma etc. Don't get me wrong they have their place just not for everything. Things former historical cultures did prior to any created stuff.

Well I hope all is looking up. Hope you checked out some books or website with lots of gluten-free food ideas. I batch freeze biweekly or monthly some pretty good smoothies that are great to toss in blender while I get the kids of to school. Some of the green  ones are a great to start with. Anti-inflammatory with veggie component, but with carefully selected fruits to balance out taste. Not bad and to boot easier to digest for you current state. Also the more you plan ahead the less stress and the easier it gets. 

Good luck

Hi :) I really am so thankful for the support I get on here. My holiday weekend was ok. Not great. I felt sad a lot. Very anxious. My health anxiety is amped up so I'm reverting to a lot of bad habits (checking my body, checking the internet) and panicking when things aren't "normal" with my digestion. How can my digestion be "normal" when I'm so freaked out all the time? 

I hope that the celiac is impacting my anxiety and that as time goes on I'll feel better. I've already made the decision not to take medication, so I'm praying that with a lot of healthy habits and positivity I can move forward. I just have a lot of triggers right now (my parents) that are hard to avoid. 

Thank you for thinking of me!

deb-rn Contributor

My anxiety/depression has decreased greatly in recent years.  I am over 3 yrs gluten-free now (I'm 59yrs old).  I'm off all my medication.  I never had the panic over health issues, though.  I'm a recently retired nurse, so I have lots of stuff running around in my head too!  Recently we have done the AIP lifestyle and found many things that triggered both my husband and I negatively.  Dairy is a big trigger for many people, even though they don't have immediate outward signs.   80% of your immune system is located in your gut.  95% of Serotonin is produced in your gut.  That is the "feel good" stuff which those of us with anxiety/depression don't have enough of.  Fat is as effective as Prozac & Statins for depression and lowering cholesterol.  I did quite an exhaustive study on how important good fats are to the body.  Magnesium and Vitamin B as mentioned, is lacking in many diets and related to anxiety/depression.  Vitamin D3 and Fish Oil are also very good to add.  They help your cells function better and get everything where it needs to be.  During my research, I found that carbohydrates are a big culprit as well.  Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease and Obesity are almost non-existant in places with low carb intake  Carbs feed pain, brain fog and trigger immune responses.   Good fat needs to be increased and carbs decreased greatly.  I get all the carbs I need from my veggies.  You must not have many fruits either as they are super high carbs.  Get back to the basics.  Paleo recipes are a great place to start as well as AIP recipes to decrease your Auto-Immunity responses.  What you are feeling are the "flight or fight" hormones and cortisol is one of those, I believe.  Stress and inflammation raise cortisol.  None of this is an immediate fix.  You are lucky you found out all this at a young age.  I know I have struggled with this for many years, looking back on it.  I'm happy to stop further damage and let my body heal.  The full healing can take years to accomplish, but every day you DON'T put the poison in your body, the closer you get to healing.

Best of Luck to you!

Debbie

GFinDC Veteran
3 hours ago, Fbmb said:

Hi :) I really am so thankful for the support I get on here. My holiday weekend was ok. Not great. I felt sad a lot. Very anxious. My health anxiety is amped up so I'm reverting to a lot of bad habits (checking my body, checking the internet) and panicking when things aren't "normal" with my digestion. How can my digestion be "normal" when I'm so freaked out all the time? 

I hope that the celiac is impacting my anxiety and that as time goes on I'll feel better. I've already made the decision not to take medication, so I'm praying that with a lot of healthy habits and positivity I can move forward. I just have a lot of triggers right now (my parents) that are hard to avoid. 

Thank you for thinking of me!

Hmm, It's so nice that you still have your parents (triggers)!  It wouldn't be a bad thing to give them both a big hug and shout "I love you" every day.  They won't be around forever after all.

Some pro-biotics might help your gut a little.  Avoiding carbs and sugar is a real good thing also.  After a while your gut flora will tend to get better and then you might feel better.  Meats, veggies, nuts, and eggs are good to eat.

Fbmb Rising Star
2 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Hmm, It's so nice that you still have your parents (triggers)!  It wouldn't be a bad thing to give them both a big hug and shout "I love you" every day.  They won't be around forever after all.

Some pro-biotics might help your gut a little.  Avoiding carbs and sugar is a real good thing also.  After a while your gut flora will tend to get better and then you might feel better.  Meats, veggies, nuts, and eggs are good to eat.

The reason my parents have triggered my anxiety is that they are both dealing with health issues that I'm having to face with them. My mother has a liver disease that is coming back 20 years post-transplant, and I'm watching my father die from alcoholism. I'm also an only child and am facing this alone. So yes, it's been difficult. I know better than most how futile life is. I don't need to be reminded to tell them I love them. I do that everyday, and the fact that I struggle with this doesn't mean that I don't love them. Realizing your parents' mortality is really scary and for me it leaves me wondering if these diseases are hereditary and it makes me fear for my children and for myself. When my mother was sick I was little and I didn't know what was going on. Now I do, and it's very scary to me. Dealing with this diagnosis for myself and for my son while supporting my mother as she faces her disease again while also coming to terms with my father's condition (he just started with hospice) has been very difficult. Maybe I'm not as tough as some.

Beverage Rising Star

You're breaking my heart with how much I felt just like you are saying ... the whole death sentence thing, just a matter of time ... futile ... that poison gluten is EVERYWHERE, no control!!! But it's been almost a year and a half for me since diagnosis, and I must say I don't feel most of that anymore.  I think it takes a lot of time for you to figure out work arounds for every challenge that comes up ... how am i going to enjoy that party? where can i eat out? You stress at first and then come up with an idea, and try it out. Sometimes it's a fail, but you always learn and go forward ("imua" in Hawaiian means go forward, it's an excellent philosophy for this).

It's the choices that you do have control over, and you develop wisdom and better results with experience.  My conclusion, from my research and talking with the doctor, is that the big nasty list of other diseases are higher for those not diagnosed or not following the strict gluten free diet.

I was lucky to find good naturopaths that have experience with Celiacs.  Fixing a few vitamin B deficiencies and some phosphathydyl serine (an amino acid) before bed help with the obsessive thinking.

Take care.

Deb K Newbie

Just diagnosed in Nov. I had thought I was depressed due to my mom's sudden passing in June from lung cancer. I was lethargic, unmotivated to do anything, and irritable. Once I began the gluten free diet I felt energized! Wow, I couldn't believe how much gluten had effected me. 

During the holiday I was careful not toeat eat gluten but then realized, after now 3 days of discomfort, that I missed a few things. It's frustrating and mentally draining to watch everything I put in my mouth. I am becoming a bit obsessive about food. The best practice for me is to stick with a few known foods and go from there. Any help would be appreciated.