This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastritis that just won't quit.... help!

Court L

kareng Grand Master
34 minutes ago, Court L said:

But if that were the case and it were gluten.... why were my numbers not raised???? Also, I had an MRI with contrast and my test results were apparently perfect. Nothing abnormal to be found, same with the scope and all of my blood work. I get chills throughout the day when I eat and feel extremely full and bloated after I eat, most days. That's what is so frustrating! It's not every day anymore. It's hit or miss. I actually was feeling a million times better until my MRI. I think that nasty contrast in combination with not eating til 330 that day sent me for a loop. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I have gained a few pounds back but am still having diarrhea every few days....then other days it's normal.... I am keeping a food log but can't seem to find a correlation. 

Antibodies don't necessarily raise enough to show on a blood test from 1 or 2 random  glutenings.  It usually needs a continuous exposure.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/if-i-accidentally-ingest-gluten-will-it-show-up-in-a-blood-test/

"...accidental exposure will not show up in a blood test. Repeated exposure elevates antibodies in the blood and causes damage in the small intestine"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Exactly what follow-up celiac tests were given?  Because, I have never tested positive on the TTG --only the DGP.  What if your GI is just ordering one and it is not registering as positive?  Make sure he is ordering the complete panel.  

Here is a long shot.  I swore that my young niece had celiac disease.  But she did not.  Her last GI gave her a pill camera and found Crohn's located at the the very end of her small intestine, out of reach of the scopes.  All other testing (labs and scans) never caught it.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
16 minutes ago, kareng said:

Antibodies don't necessarily raise enough to show on a blood test from 1 or 2 random  glutenings.  It usually needs a continuous exposure.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/if-i-accidentally-ingest-gluten-will-it-show-up-in-a-blood-test/

"...accidental exposure will not show up in a blood test. Repeated exposure elevates antibodies in the blood and causes damage in the small intestine"

Karen is so sharp (and so early in the morning).  My glutenings were tested four weeks after my exposure (had been on vacation and could not physically get into my GI).  I was sure I had SIBO (so did my GI), but we ruled out celiac disease first with antibody testing.  It was celiac disease.  The first four weeks were awful, with no relief.  Took a full three months for everything to resolve and another three to regain lost weight.  I kid you not!  Added a new issue (hives and swelling along the way which I think was related to a histamine intolerance) but that resolved too.  

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

Karen is so sharp (and so early in the morning).  My glutenings were tested four weeks after my exposure (had been on vacation and could not physically get into my GI).  I was sure I had SIBO (so did my GI), but we ruled out celiac disease first with antibody testing.  It was celiac disease.  The first four weeks were awful, with no relief.  Took a full three months for everything to resolve and another three to regain lost weight.  I kid you not!  Added a new issue (hives and swelling along the way which I think was related to a histamine intolerance) but that resolved too.  

You likely had multiple exposures to cause your antibodies to rise to a level that they were in the blood in high enough levels to find.  As well as the fact that they can continue to rise after exposure for a week or so.

• 1 month later...
aliciahere Apprentice

I hope the OP is feeling better :(

I have a couple of thoughts that haven't been mentioned yet.

Have you been checked for a parasite? Especially being in Mexico....

If you are having stomach issues, and especially if you suspect SIBO, don't take pro/prebiotics. Your stomach bacteria is out of wack and growing in places it shouldn't be. Taking a probiotic is just throwing gas on a fire. 

You might want to look at taking digestive enzymes and/or hcl. Your stomach acid may be to low to begin with which prevents food from being digested and can promote SIBO.

However, your symptoms also remind me of my hubby, who suffers from a bad hiatal hernia. Extra stomach acid will just aggravate the issue. The hernia prevents the esophageal flap from closing properly. He ended up going to a naturopath and having a food sensitivity test (I know, I know, this test isn't accurate half the time, and isn't for everyone). When he removes the problem foods he does SO much better, and when he cheats he suffers for it. 

Sorry to provide such contradictory info. I hope you feel better soon.

• 1 year later...
Yulz Newbie

Hi Court L, I know it's been awhile since this thread had a comment, but I was just wondering how you went with your ongoing gastritis pain? I'm in the exact same predicament. 

Archived