This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Awol cast iron stomach

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Hi everyone, 

Question and partial update. How many of you are corn intolerant as well? Is it permanent? Did you know before , concurrent, or after gluten reared its ugly head? I did not have corn intolerance (I believe) until the 2016 with my terrible restaurant gluten exposures and quest for celiac testings. It is definitive that corn is the culprit besides gluten. I have been noting food diary since May 2016. This was the first time since May I have had corn starch and corn flour. After 40 minutes I'm using my inhaler for shortness of breath, itching like crazy everywhere, particularly face, arms, back, and my connective tissue fascia pain (a la gluten) is ratcheting up. 

So here I am detoxing quickly as possible in tub with Epsom and slamming a quart of water.

So the good news is I think I'm down from the other eight suspected intolerances to just corn and of course the evil gluten is always the headlining star.

Your opinion do I try again in 3 or 6 months? At the one year mark?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

-_- itching and inhaler sounds more of a allergy then a intolerance, I might say try again in a year, or more. I am allergic to corn with fever, blood blisters, and rash. I am intolerant to peanuts that just cause intestinal inflammation to the point of distention and vomiting for hours (I try these again about once a year) PS corn is everywhere, baking powder, food starch, chips, thickening agents...really almost as maddening as gluten.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Thanks Ennis for the help. The Dietician in the practice I was seeing for celiac testing had me remove it a few months ago for 4 weeks then reintroduce. I had problems then so I removed and thought I'll try again in 3-4 months. Now it's 4 months later and  my symptoms are worse now. Symptoms occur in stages the itching, and SOB, are step one and as the clock ticks on the gi and connective tissues flare. The itching is a constant. similar to gluten but not as bad. My IgE allergy test didn't show it was a true allergy so my symptoms I think involve different immune pathways.

So it is a no go. I'll take your advice. Based on how I felt waking up today I will not be trying another serving for quite sometime. I've been doing mostly Paleo the past few months so I am working hard to avoid the landmine of corn in everything as you mentioned. Which every pathway it's clear it's a no go.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Gerald Apprentice

Corn has definitely given me problems and I just avoid it now, I ate Gluten Free corn chips and felt the effects of allergy and the list of food can eat have shrunk considerably.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
6 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Corn has definitely given me problems and I just avoid it now, I ate Gluten Free corn chips and felt the effects of allergy and the list of food can eat have shrunk considerably.

If you miss corn chips Beanitos taste just like corn tortilla chips from a high end restaurant and have the GF certification and are corn free, I love the baked skinny ones myself and the garden salsa, chipolte ones  are pretty good. Can not eat many of them due to carb issues but they make for nice veggie fry or breading in general when ran in a food processor and for a crushed garnish in soups. Growing up with half my family being Mexican....sure miss a lot of dishes. Anyway be careful for anything using Baking Powder, Food Starch, Maltodextrin, as these can contain corn bases.

Gerald Apprentice

Ennis-TX,

Being Sicilian I miss spaghetti, lasagna and know how you feel, we have to adapt and create a diet that are parents probably didnt eat, I have reached the point of avoiding all processed foods and prepare and cook my own food, for me its the safest way, I can get by without corn but love baked beans, yummy, beansdon't bother me so Im happy at the moment :)

Ennis-TX Grand Master
16 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Ennis-TX,

Being Sicilian I miss spaghetti, lasagna and know how you feel, we have to adapt and create a diet that are parents probably didnt eat, I have reached the point of avoiding all processed foods and prepare and cook my own food, for me its the safest way, I can get by without corn but love baked beans, yummy, beansdon't bother me so Im happy at the moment :)

Open Original Shared Link

^Makes a few pasta noodles with Just Rice flour, nothing else. Great to help you get that "Fix" or to cook and eat with family, I use their penne and other noodles, when cooking for others doing chef work.   Most wholesome and simple base ingredients I can find.

^ I personally use these and No oodle spaghetti depending on what I can get on sale. I also use sea tangle kelp noodles in soups, Been using them to make stuff like Mexican fried rice, soups, gumbos, YakiSoba and noodle soups with broths. This is due to me not tolerating carbs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deb-rn Contributor

We found many things we didn't tolerate after removing gluten!  Husband more so, even!  We have gone low carb/high fat/mod protein now and it is GREAT!  No more hunger, weight coming off, B/P dropped, pain decreased!  Amazing what all those grains were doing to us!  We won't be eating corn again.  When you feel better, you stop missing all that stuff and think of food for it's healing and nutrition, instead of comfort.  Life is good!  Read Wheat Belly-Total Health by William Davis, MD.  Great info on corns and grains.

Debbie

Courtney33 Rookie

Yup, corn, that's on my avoid list now too. Can eat gluten free corn based cheezies if not too much. But last time I ate popcorn, cheesey gluten free, I got lightheaded, had bloating, and intestinal issues. Fiber related? As the powdered corn products don't have these reactions. Potatos cause bloating and more lightheadedness. Both are worse on empty stomachs. What the heck, I miss the days of scarfing down everything. Glad to have this forum. 

Posterboy Mentor

Awol cast iron stomach,

This research was reported in another thread by Knitty Kitty.

It might help explain why you are reacting to corn.

Abstract on  How "Maize prolamins resistant to peptic-tryptic digestion maintain immune-recognition by IgA from some celiac disease patients."

Now what to do about it is another story.

But at least you have identified it as a trigger.

Some people never get that far.  Congratulations on knowing your body.

I  hope this is helpful and continued good luck on your journey.

posterboy,

• 4 months later...
gunsandroses Newbie

I wish I were better at using this site as I'm sure the answer to my question is on here somewhere. I also find that even after almost three years ( I'm 77) of no grain of any kind, plus  no dairy no processed foods, feeling like and acting like a whole new person that I am alone out here. No so of course. I am  grateful to all who keep this site going.  My question is Corn is a grain to me and I leave it alone as after the first year when I ate a lot of popcorn it was obvious it wasn't on the list of food good for my gut. My question that brought me through passwords and ads is this I read some where that after a few years sometimes the no dairy thing can be tampered with. Is this true? I  take fat free or non fat yogurt and make a kind of cheese that I tolerate very well. I make skim milk yogurt from processed yogurt as the starter and filter it through coffee filters to make a Greek yogurt.  I add fresh herbs and spices and use it as a kind of sauce over vegetables, salad dressing and even freeze it for ice-cream, well a kind of ice-cream. I tolerate it well so I think my answer is that I can keep eating  this, but before I go off and think cheddar  even grass fed cheddar cheese, I'd like to know if anyone else has had this happen?

I signed on anonymously for no good reason except it let me do it. I am Judy and been celiac forall my life but no body caught it until I was 75. Now loving life and making up for lost time, but enjoy the fine tuning and support. Thank you.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
36 minutes ago, gunsandroses said:

I wish I were better at using this site as I'm sure the answer to my question is on here somewhere. I also find that even after almost three years ( I'm 77) of no grain of any kind, plus  no dairy no processed foods, feeling like and acting like a whole new person that I am alone out here. No so of course. I am  grateful to all who keep this site going.  My question is Corn is a grain to me and I leave it alone as after the first year when I ate a lot of popcorn it was obvious it wasn't on the list of food good for my gut. My question that brought me through passwords and ads is this I read some where that after a few years sometimes the no dairy thing can be tampered with. Is this true? I  take fat free or non fat yogurt and make a kind of cheese that I tolerate very well. I make skim milk yogurt from processed yogurt as the starter and filter it through coffee filters to make a Greek yogurt.  I add fresh herbs and spices and use it as a kind of sauce over vegetables, salad dressing and even freeze it for ice-cream, well a kind of ice-cream. I tolerate it well so I think my answer is that I can keep eating  this, but before I go off and think cheddar  even grass fed cheddar cheese, I'd like to know if anyone else has had this happen?

I signed on anonymously for no good reason except it let me do it. I am Judy and been celiac forall my life but no body caught it until I was 75. Now loving life and making up for lost time, but enjoy the fine tuning and support. Thank you.

I been lactose intolerant for 10+ years and gluten free for over 3 years and just this year went completely grain free aside from vegan protein powders. Corn has been a major allergy issue for years. Dairy is just evil to me due to lactose issues and a whey allergy. I been making my own cheese sauces, and nut milk based icecream for years, and treat myself to store bought dairy free cheeses when I have the money. Same with coconut yogurt which I get once or twice a month.  Enzymes do not help me with dairy, and even trace amounts make me feel like crap.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, gunsandroses said:

Celiac disease damages the part of the small intestine that produces lactose.  lactose helps digest dairy.  For some people,  when they have healed the small intestines, they can eat dairy or small amounts of dairy.

Archived