This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More stomach issues

Renaye

Renaye Contributor

Hello! I have been gluten free for about 5 years with no official diagnosis. I have been doing good until October when I had some sort of stomach attack that took 6 weeks to fully recover.  I thought it was pancreatitis which I had several years ago but the doctor has told me that I should not get that again since they took out my gallbladder.  Whatever I had has really messed up my system.  I also have egg, peanut and dairy intolerances.  I now have pain after I eat which feels like another intolerance.  Is there anything I can do to keep from having more intolerances or problems? Not really sure what to do but I do know that my gastro is no help.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Renaye said:

Hello! I have been gluten free for about 5 years with no official diagnosis. I have been doing good until October when I had some sort of stomach attack that took 6 weeks to fully recover.  I thought it was pancreatitis which I had several years ago but the doctor has told me that I should not get that again since they took out my gallbladder.  Whatever I had has really messed up my system.  I also have egg, peanut and dairy intolerances.  I now have pain after I eat which feels like another intolerance.  Is there anything I can do to keep from having more intolerances or problems? Not really sure what to do but I do know that my gastro is no help.  

The gallbladder and the pancreas are very different organs. 

Renaye Contributor

I am very well aware of the difference in the organs.  My gallbladder came out because it was causing problems with my pancreas.  My gallbladder was not functioning normally and they suspect I had gallstones although they believed I passed them before it was taken out.  Thus no evidence of gallstones.

Posterboy Mentor

Renaye,

I just got timely information about what often can trigger a Gall Bladder attack.

See this link Open Original Shared Link

I subscribe to her news letter.

I will quote from the link what I think is revelant information.  I just read this a couple days ago so it was fresh on my mind.

I noticed you mentioned egg as one of your allergies.  According to research reported by Dr. Myatt 92% of Gall Bladder attacks were cause by food sensitivities to eggs.

Quoting

"The real cause — and cure — of gallbladder pain was discovered back in 1968 by a physician named James C. Breneman. Dr. Breneman was chairman of the Food Allergy Committee of the American College of Allergists, or ACA (now called the American College of Allergy and Immunology, or ACAI). Dr. Breneman discovered that attacks of gallbladder pain are caused by Open Original Shared Link

In 1968, he put 69 people who suffered from recurrent gallbladder attacks on an elimination diet to determine their food allergies. Six of the subjects already had their gallbladders removed but were still having gallbladder "attacks," a phenomenon known as "post-cholecystectomy syndrome." Dr. Breneman found that all 69 people — 100 percent! — were totally symptom-free of gallbladder pain when they avoided their individual food sensitivities, and all 69 had a recurrence of their symptoms when they ate the foods they reintroduced the foods they were allergic to back into their diets.

The most common allergenic foods were found to be eggs (92.8%), pork (63.8%), onions (52.2%), chicken and turkey (34.8%), milk (24.6%), coffee (21.7% ), and oranges (18.8%). Corn, beans, nuts, apples, tomatoes, peas, cabbage, spices, peanuts, fish, and rye accounted for between 1 to 14.5% of gallbladder attacks. 14 of the 69 study participants (over 20 percent) also had gallbladder attacks caused by medications."

Low stomach acid can also contribute to a strained Gall Bladder she notes.

Without a strong stomach acid many of these proteins that trigger food sensitivities make into the lower GI tract where the body is trying to fight off these undigested proteins.

Triggering an autoimmune reaction first in the GI tract and if it (Small Intestine) leaks the same proteins cause similar reactions in other parts of the body as well.

The body can't handle undigested proteins.  It must digest them first before it can metabolize them.  

There is a reason the 8 most common food allergies are all proteins.

The body detects (mistakes) the food protein as a virus.

The FDA site summarizes this well.

Open Original Shared Link

I want to quote one sentence from their website to bring focus to the protein portion.

Quoting " These eight foods, and any ingredient that contains protein derived from one or more of them, are designated as “major food allergens” by FALCPA. 

I think this explains why when you have one food allergy then it much more common to be allergic to additional proteins in addition to gluten.

If you can't or are not digesting gluten properly other food allergen triggering proteins are getting through to the the small intestine or gall bladder in your case with eggs triggering a response in our bodies.

I think of the stomach as the defender of the Small Intestine.

The body knows it is sensitive and needs to be protected and why food passes through a strong acid before it safe for the Small Intestine.

If your are still having food allergen issues after removing gluten try taking some Niacin as Niacinamide.

This is old information 15+ years old but is not common knowledge.

Open Original Shared Link

Niacin treats digestive problems.

When I took it long enough to cause a distinct burping (like a healthy baby does at around 6 months) a sign they can digest whole foods (proteins) their colic (stomach aches) usually go away my GI problems got much better.

Perhaps your stomach acid is not strong enough to digest the proteins still in your diet.

I have found when your stomach acid is strong enough to cause burping and a stool that sinks then your bodies defenses are strong enough to digest difficult proteins.

this is not medical advice it just been my experience and my conclusions based on my own research.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

I hope this is helpful.

posterboy,

cyclinglady Grand Master

From what I understand, you can still develop gallstones even without a gallbladder.  Also, you can have bile duct issues as well.  

I never had gallstones.  My gallbladder was non-functioning (0% on the HIDA scan).  It is a family curse:  6 out of 7 of my Dad's siblings had their gallbladders removed and no one had gallstones.  We are thankful that the HIDA scan was developed!  One Aunt eventually developed gallstones some 40 years after her gallbladder was removed.  Another Aunt has a stent placed in her bile duct about two years after her gallbladder surgery and she had pancreatitis twice AFTER her gallbladder surgery.  

It sounds like your GI ruled out pancreatitis (I assume normal blood tests).   Did he do an ultrasound to rule out stones?  

The two times I was glutened (confirmed by antibody testing), I had no clue of the source.  Are you sure you did not get exposed to gluten?   Because my symptoms for each glutening were completely different from when I was diagnosed.  

Renaye Contributor

I saw a nurse practitioner a month after my attack (took forever to get in) and she did a SIBO test which was negative, changed my acid reflux medication and checked my lipase level.  It was 220 which was the maximum number to be normal. ?? I also found out that I have bile reflux and I started carafate.  I don't believe that I have been glutened.  Anything I eat, except rice, seems to be bothering me.   Just concerned that my symptoms are not typical and could possibly be chronic pancreatitis or something that is out of my control.  

Posterboy, thank you for the information.  I will read your sites.  

Archived