This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fecal Anti-Gliadin High

Aspirant

Aspirant Apprentice

Hello,

I am new to these forums. I am 36 years old male.

Here is my story. I have suffered from H Pylori in the past and received Iron Infusions.

Now recently  Fecal Anti-Gliadin IgA was done and Here are the results.

Result                                                         Range ug/g

Anti-gliadin IgA                             188                              High                         0 - 100

This test was done under a panel from  Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory, LLC  

My GI is not familiar with these tests and said Celiac Disease antibody panel is Negative done by him.

Question:- Is there anyone who can help me understand these tests.? Anyone who has knowledge or any suggestions?

I have gone gluten free a month ago and lost few pounds

My main goal is to boost my testosterone from 150 to atleast 500 and increase my energy levels.

I am suffereing from 

Hypothyroidism

Low testosterone, Obesity

Osteopenia.

Depression,

Low Basel Body Temperature.

Hair Loss.

My Iron Levels have improved. GI not ready to give further iron Infusion.

Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aspirant.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Aspirant,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I wonder if you know what tests your doctor did for celiac antibodies?  There are several tests, and they usually have a range of values for positive and negative results.  I hope you were eating gluten before your antibody testing for 12 weeks?  If you were already gluten-free when you got tested, the test results can be inaccurate.

Fecal testing is not accepted in the USA for celiac testing.  It doesn't provide a reliable indication of celiac disease activity.

Have you been tested for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a condition that is more frequent in celiacs.

Aspirant Apprentice

Thanks, for your response. Yes I have autoimmune disorder too. Anti-tpo was high range 200 or so as per my memory. What should I do to increase my testosterone?

Has anyone restored his hormones on this forums.?

Seasoned Sufferer Newbie

I would recommend doing a test by Cyrex labs, Array #3. It  tests for way more glutein protein components than regukar testing,  Website is joincyrex.com if you want to check it out.  Also, I would recommend ruling out/in SIBO with a 3 hour breath test. Many people with digestive disorders also have SIBO, and therefore don't get complete resolution with a grain-free diet.  If positive for SIBO, medication must be taken & a SIBZo diet like the bi-phasic or sibo-specific diet also has to followed for a little while. Then, my tecommendation would be to look into AIP (autoimmune paleo diet)  & possibly also SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) fir the long-term.

cyclinglady Grand Master
8 hours ago, Aspirant said:

Thanks, for your response. Yes I have autoimmune disorder too. Anti-tpo was high range 200 or so as per my memory. What should I do to increase my testosterone?

Has anyone restored his hormones on this forums.?

Anti-TPO is for the thyroid.  How are you treating it?  Is your thyroid stable?  In my case, when unstable, it impacted my other hormones.  After a gluten-free diet of more than two years, my thyroid is no longer enlarged and I do not have nodules.  Unfortunately, it is permanently damaged and I take thyroid replacement.  

A mainstream GI is not going to accept a fecal test.  I assume you did this on your own.  However, you might be able to go back to your GI and ask for a full celiac panel.  But......this is a biggie, you would have to go back on gluten for 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood draw (2 to 4 for an endoscopy).   In as little as two weeks of being gluten free can mess with your results (google it.)

Aspirant Apprentice
11 hours ago, Seasoned Sufferer said:

I would recommend doing a test by Cyrex labs, Array #3. It  tests for way more glutein protein components than regukar testing,  Website is joincyrex.com if you want to check it out.  Also, I would recommend ruling out/in SIBO with a 3 hour breath test. Many people with digestive disorders also have SIBO, and therefore don't get complete resolution with a grain-free diet.  If positive for SIBO, medication must be taken & a SIBZo diet like the bi-phasic or sibo-specific diet also has to followed for a little while. Then, my tecommendation would be to look into AIP (autoimmune paleo diet)  & possibly also SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) fir the long-term.

The cyrex test was done in 2015 June. It was positive for most of the gluten protein in Array 3. but I was unable to stop gluten because it is staple food for me. Now I have stopped it completely a month ago. How many months I have to quit Gluten to see some results.?

Aspirant Apprentice

I am sharing my personal Experience. I met a Doctor called Jeff Rocco in Ogden UTAH. He believes in Sports nutrition. He analysis the patients iron levels. Based on results if the patient levels are low due to Allergy to wheat or H Pylori. He gives Iron IV from 100 mg to 200 mg from  1 to 5 times at the regular interval of 2 - 4 weeks. He is covered by most insurance.

Here are few reasons of Low Iron.

Make sure patient does not have ulcers or H Pylori infection.

Low stomach Acid.

Allergy to Gluten or Lactose could be another reason for Iron Deficiency and iron absorption.

I hope this information is helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aspirant Apprentice
7 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Anti-TPO is for the thyroid.  How are you treating it?  Is your thyroid stable?  In my case, when unstable, it impacted my other hormones.  After a gluten-free diet of more than two years, my thyroid is no longer enlarged and I do not have nodules.  Unfortunately, it is permanently damaged and I take thyroid replacement.  

A mainstream GI is not going to accept a fecal test.  I assume you did this on your own.  However, you might be able to go back to your GI and ask for a full celiac panel.  But......this is a biggie, you would have to go back on gluten for 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood draw (2 to 4 for an endoscopy).   In as little as two weeks of being gluten free can mess with your results (google it.)

I use Armour thyroid 2 grains in the morning.

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, Aspirant said:

How many months I have to quit Gluten to see some results.?

Everyone differs will probably be the common theme in answers to this. It took about 3 days for me to notice a big difference in my mood when I first excluded gluten from my diet. I kept a food diary which allowed me to track changes and that may be something you want to try? Other changes were more gradual and many months later I was noticing things which I'd never connected were resolving. 

I didn't have testosterone checked then so I can't say if it was affected, I've subsequently discovered its low but I don't know how much this is diet influenced. 

Best of luck!

cyclinglady Grand Master

If you have celiac disease and remain on a gluten free diet, your ferritin levels should improve within a few months (intestinal healing = absorption of nutrients).  

How long have you been on the Armour?  When where you last checked?  Your thyroid should be checked every six weeks (Armour adjusted accordingly), until it is stable.   Have you been following up with your doctor?  

Aspirant Apprentice

Hello All,

I suspect I also have Low stomach acid. May be because of H Pylori gastritis or hidden wheat allergy. 

Has anyone suffered any situation like this.? Any suggestions for boosting the stomach Acid. or other.

Thanks,

Archived