• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Cannabis-like Drugs May Help Bowel Disease

1 post in this topic

News in Science

Health & Medical News - Cannabis-like drugs may help bowel disease - 15/08/2005

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/...ish_1437679.htm]

Cannabis-like drugs may help bowel disease

Reuters

Monday, 15 August 2005

Derivatives of the active compound in cannabis may one day treat inflammatory bowel diseases, new research suggests.

In preliminary laboratory experiments published in the latest issue of the journal Gastroenterology, UK scientists show that cannabinoids prompt gut cells to repair themselves.

And as gut damage is central to Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, this early work may pave the way to using cannabinoid drugs to treat these conditions.

"Cannabinoids, which we make ourselves, as well as synthetic cannabinoids, can promote wound healing in the gut, which is extremely interesting given that inflammatory bowel disease involves damaged gut linings," says lead researcher Dr Karen Wright, of the University of Bath.

Wright and her colleagues found cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 in human colon tissue.

They then used human colon cell lines to investigate the binding of cannabinoid compounds and in wound-healing experiments.

The team found that CB2 was increased in colonic tissue characteristic of inflammatory bowel disease.

And cannabinoids enhanced surface wound closure via mechanisms involving the CB1 receptor.

"The system that responds to cannabis in the brain is present and functioning in the lining of the gut," says Wright.

"There is an increased presence of one component of this system during inflammatory bowel diseases."

Although results are not available yet, she adds, studies of cannabinoids' role in gut disorders are taking place in the UK and a clinical trial is being conducted in Germany.

For more information about gut problems, including symptoms and therapies, see the Gastroenterological Society of Australia's website.

with ABC Science Online

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google: