This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tylenol (Jan 2017)

Sara789

Sara789 Contributor

I called Tylenol/Johnson & Johnson today (1/23/17).

Customer Service told me that only Tylenol 8 hr Arthritis is gluten-free. She also told me that they are launching a new product that is also gluten free: Tylenol Extra Strength Rapid Release Liquid Gel Caps. She said the new gel caps aren't available in all areas yet, but will be available nationwide soon.

She said that the other Tylenol products can't be guaranteed as gluten-free concerning the pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, or ingredient & manufacturing cross-contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks for the updated info Sara789!  I don't take Tylenol myself, but I imagine some other members do.

cyclinglady Grand Master

You know, I just bought some Tylenol tablets for my kid.  I avoid taking anything because I seem to react (allergy/anaphylactic) to many medications (OTC: aspirin and ibuprofen) and it is NOT celiac related.   But, I like to keep gluten-free meds on hand for my kid and my hubby (he must avoid gluten too).  I asked my pharmacist to check the gluten free drug list and the tablets were on the list.  Glutenfreedrugs.com is maintained by a pharmacist who is dedicated to gluten free drugs.  His list is pretty current.  

So, bottle in hand, I called J & J just now.  They told me that the ingredients are free from gluten, they use best manufacturing procceses, but do not test the end product.  This means they can not claim the product is gluten free.  

It makes me mad that the FDA excluded drugs from the gluten free ruling.  It is safer or easier  to eat a Kraft food product than take a medication.  That said, the odds of getting glutened are slim based on this:

Open Original Shared Link

Maybe, we need to this petition/bill passed in Congress:

Sara789 Contributor

@cyclinglady - Thanks for the information. I'll have to check out the links. Different answers for the same questions make being gluten-free so challenging.

I cannot take ibuprofen or aspirin due to a sensitive stomach. Tylenol isn't the best pain reliever, especially when I'm experiencing inflammation pain, but it's the best I can do.

My pre-diagnosis bottle of Tylenol includes a starch product, which is why I called Tylenol. The customer service woman told me she couldn't guarantee the source of the starch wasn't wheat, rye, or barley, but told me about the other gluten-free products.

Archived