• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Numbness caused by gluten
2 2

4 posts in this topic

I am sensitive even to airborne gluten, including in aerosols, kitchens where an oven is cooking gluten containing food, or has been recently, plaster dust in building materials.  I work, but suffer migraine when I have fully ingested gluten and numbness and muscle weakness from smells.  Does anyone else experience full-body numbness, or facial or extremities numbness?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Yep, you should see my hands, I cook a lot and burn myself often and hardly notice it so they are quite damaged. I believe it is refereed to as peripheral neuropathy, it it present all the time with me but spikes in what I can feel when glutened. Best way to describe it is I have no surface feeling to my hands, I can feel deep tissue pressure, and if I touch something hot for a few seconds I can feel the heat when it reaches the deeper tissues. I have learned to compensate to some degree with this but my the speed at which I do stuff is compromised, and you can imagine some of the issues I get. My feet also have this to some degree, and the face sometimes gets a odd numbness twitch when full on glutened. These can be triggered by really small exposures and even inhaled flours going though a bakery at the store have done this along with the anxiety and brain fog. I have also had this happen with stuff where I have gotten residue from gluten on my hands from touching a door handle, knob etc. and not washed my hands before popping a mint or gum in my mouth. While I do not get the full on vomiting, and D with these forms of exposure the neurological issues to present them selves with these, and sometimes a but of gut issues.

I get numbness in my hands, and sometimes when I've been glutened to the extreme I've experienced full-body numbness so that it's difficult to get out of bed. 

Hi, yes.  I once sat next to someone who was eating a sausage roll in a house that was being plastered.  I couldn't feel anything from the waist down and had to check my legs were still there.  It's as though my brain is numbed.  The manufacturer of the plaster said it contained wheat gluten as a bonding agent.