This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Better Batter and Suggestions on store bought bread

Rob S.

Rob S. Contributor

First, I want to thank everyone who has posted information on this site. I was diagnosed with Celiac about 3 months ago. I find this page an indispensable source.

Over these first three months of adhering to a strict gluten free diet, I have now had the opportunity to experiment with a number of products and cooking methods.  Some were disasters....like trying to make dumplings with coconut flour.  Instead of dumpling soup, I ended up with something closer to oatmeal. Tasty, but I do not recommend coconut flour for dumplings or spaetzle.

One product that I found is both consistently safe to eat and good to cook with are two products from Better Batter. (Open Original Shared Link

So far, I have used its Gluten Free Flour and the Chocolate Cake Mix. I am not an expert at baking, but used the mix to make cupcakes.  I was amazed that they rivaled the flourless cake at Capital Grill for a fraction of the cost.  I have had no issues after eating meals in which I used either product.

So far, the Schar Multigrain Bread is the best store bought bread I have found. I appreciate any feedback or suggestions on good bread and buns.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

Canyon Bakehouse multigrain bread is the best bread I have tasted. No difference as far as I'm concerned. Canyon bakehouse also has bagels that are very good. Their bread definitely has the texture and feel of real bread. They have a fake rye bread that does a pretty good job for replacing rye bread.

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Rob!

I love Better Batter!  I use it for all of my baking needs unless a recipe calls for gum free flour.  This weekend I made soft pretzels with it and they were great!  Glutenfreeonashoestring is a great recipe source for gluten free baking.  That is where I first heard about Better Batter.

Canyon Bakehouse bagels I am obsessed with...seriously.  Bread is tricky.  Most of the gluten free breads toasted are fine, but my family has been very picky about an untoasted bread for packed lunches.  Their favorite so far is the Vegan Oat bread from Outside the Breadbox.  I've never even tried it as I can't do oats.  Their hamburger buns are good as well.  We've also tried 3 Bakers buns which everyone liked.  No one liked the Udis buns and there was a definite split on the Canyon Bakehouse buns.

Hope that helps!

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I personally use nut, bean, and oat based flours, I can not do starches very well and have a corn allergy. I will PM you a few recipe pages.  Currently working on a few paleo recipes for my bakery, I been sharing food alternatives here https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/ 

Feel free to add links and info on some of your favorites to that list and comment on what you like to help with others, I keep sharing that page to help people find products, flours, etc and make the gluten-free life easier.

Rob S. Contributor

Thank you both for your feed back.  I will definitely try the Canyon Bakehouse bagels and the the Vegan Oat bread from Outside the Breadbox.

I will try to add some recipes....once i get them to my liking.

• 3 weeks later...
Rob S. Contributor

Thank you icelandgirl for the recommendation on Canyon Bakehouse products.  While I like the bread a lot, I cannot say the same for the business ethics of the company as it relates to getting your private contact information.

kareng Grand Master
27 minutes ago, Rob S. said:

Thank you icelandgirl for the recommendation on Canyon Bakehouse products.  While I like the bread a lot, I cannot say the same for the business ethics of the company as it relates to getting your private contact information.

What?  Are you trying to day that's if I buy their products, Whole Foods or Target gives them info about me?  Otherwise, I don't see how they would know who buys the bread.  If you ordered it directly from them, I guess they would need some info to get it to your house and get it paid for?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rob S. Contributor

I tried to get a coupon.

To do so, the company gives you a selection to provide your name and email or mobile number. Fair enough. However, once you provide your name and email, it takes you to a page that requires you to provide your mobile number to get the coupon.  Why does it give you a choice if no choice exists? Why does it tell you only after you submit your information.

kareng Grand Master
25 minutes ago, Rob S. said:

I tried to get a coupon.

To do so, the company gives you a selection to provide your name and email or mobile number. Fair enough. However, once you provide your name and email, it takes you to a page that requires you to provide your mobile number to get the coupon.  Why does it give you a choice if no choice exists? Why does it tell you only after you submit your information.

I dont know..  THe owners are very nice people.  Maybe you could email them and explain the problem?  Sounds like the system isn't working quite right. It doesn't sound like they are using your information for nefarious reasons.  Lol

Rob S. Contributor

I did contact it and have not heard back, other than the automatic reply.  It is entirely possible that Oakhouse does not know. If not, shame on it. 

It appears Oakhouse has contacted with a third party to manage its customer list. Anytime a third party is involved, especially google and apple through its app stores, the likelihood is that that party derives a financial gain from the information it collects, often through reselling it.  This would likely explain why Oakhouse is indifferent as to receiving a customer's email or phone number, but its third party service provider demands your mobile number. Ultimately, however, it is the Company's responsibility to know what it is doing with the information it collects.

kareng Grand Master
29 minutes ago, Rob S. said:

I did contact it and have not heard back, other than the automatic reply.  It is entirely possible that Oakhouse does not know. If not, shame on it. 

It appears Oakhouse has contacted with a third party to manage its customer list. Anytime a third party is involved, especially google and apple through its app stores, the likelihood is that that party derives a financial gain from the information it collects, often through reselling it.  This would likely explain why Oakhouse is indifferent as to receiving a customer's email or phone number, but its third party service provider demands your mobile number. Ultimately, however, it is the Company's responsibility to know what it is doing with the information it collects.

I am sorry.  I thought you were referring to Canyon Bakehouse.   I have never heard of Oakhouse.  

icelandgirl Proficient

I'm sorry if you've had trouble.  I ordered a case of bagels directly from Canyon as my store kept running out....never had any issues.

Rob S. Contributor

and it tastes great!

Archived