This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten free frozen fries?

GlutenedCN

GlutenedCN Apprentice

Hello fellow Celiacs, 

I am trying to find a brand of gluten free frozen French fries, and have been having no luck so far. I live in Canada, so there are a lot of restricted brands. 

I am new to the forum and the disease and am wondering if I should risk purchasing a frozen French fry brand that is not labelled as gluten free, (like Alexia or Cascadian?) even if it does not list contamination concerns. 

Thoughts? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Do you guys have OreIda up there? Here in the US they are gluten-free.

cyclinglady Grand Master
10 minutes ago, squirmingitch said:

Do you guys have OreIda up there? Here in the US they are gluten-free.

We buy OreIra.  

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, GlutenedCN said:

Hello fellow Celiacs, 

I am trying to find a brand of gluten free frozen French fries, and have been having no luck so far. I live in Canada, so there are a lot of restricted brands. 

I am new to the forum and the disease and am wondering if I should risk purchasing a frozen French fry brand that is not labelled as gluten free, (like Alexia or Cascadian?) even if it does not list contamination concerns. 

Thoughts? 

I would buy them - the ones that are just potato and oil and maybe a preservative.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Most major chain grocery stores also have a gluten free product list that is available, you can look up this way to get a idea, if in doubt of anything you can always call the company or email them and ask. I have used Ore-ida hash browns when cooking breakfast for others all the time. -_- I normally make my own fries in the oven with sweet potatoes my own seasoning blends. Frozen ones used to be nasty to me so I would never serve them to others.

BTW nice list here of some other gluten-free products, https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

I know Ian's and Udi's makes nuggets, fish sticks, cheese sticks, onion rings etc and are available in Canada.

PS if you need your to know how to make them in the oven real quick

Sweet Potato Fries
1 Sweet Potato
2 tbsp Oil of choice Olive, Coconut both work fine for this
Seasonings

1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Cut off the ends of your potato then cut it in half, so each half should be about 3-4" long (you can season and use the ends separate if you wish)
3. Cut your potato into fries desired thickness (I normally cut them over 1/4" thick but not quite 1/2")
4. Put them in a bowl, top with the oil and sprinkle your seasoning over the top of them and toss them around in the mixture coating evenly
5. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 25mins.

I have 4 seasonings I make myself I like to use on them like my homemade vegan versions of Nacho Cheese Doritos Powder, Chili & Cheese Powder, Ranch Powder. But you can use what ever you want. and nothing wrong with just black pepper and salt.

GlutenedCN Apprentice

Unfortunately we don't have OreIda. What about cheap brands of potatoes? Could they simply fail to label legitimate contamination concerns? 

GlutenedCN Apprentice

Thanks for the recipe Ennis! 

i will certainly try that, and look at the websites you attached! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
24 minutes ago, GlutenedCN said:

Unfortunately we don't have OreIda. What about cheap brands of potatoes? Could they simply fail to label legitimate contamination concerns? 

Canada has a labeling law - they must list gluten ingredients clearly.  

psawyer Proficient

As Karen said, any known gluten-containing ingredient means that the gluten must be clearly disclosed on a Canadian label. I can't imagine how there could be accidental contamination of such a product.

• 1 year later...
lastninja Newbie

Here is a nice, year old list from Australia: http://www.aussiecoeliac.com.au/gluten-free-frozen-potato-products/

As a Crohns and IBD sufferer I can withstand very small amounts of gluten, so I generally do not have issues with 'manufactured in a facility that processess gluten cereals' etc generally, but as long as doesn't say something like this, don't pay extra for 'gluten free' labelling. Most regular chips SHOULD be: potato, oil and dextrose.

Mccains 'gluten free' frozen chips ingredients: Potato (96%), canola oil, dextrose (from maize). Allergy Information Cooked with Canola Oil – Gluten Free

Mccains superfries frozen chips ingredients: Potato (95%), canola oil, dextrose (from maize). Allergy Information Made in a facility that also processes products with gluten containing cereals, milk, soy and sulphites.

However looking at that list, most of the ones I buy are glutenated anyway (Woolworths frozen etc) - some are processed in facility however. I have a friend who is full on gluten allergy (I am just intolerance) where he gets rashes and swelling when even coming into skin contact with a small amount of gluten flour for instance. So I do appreciate the importance of *truly* gluten free for some people. But for those with intolerance and able to withstand tiny amounts, as long as doesn't say it contains gluten (and you don't have trouble with 'manufactured in a facilty also processing' warnings), you can feel pretty good that it should be gluten free as long as doesn't contain seasoning or other things that aren't potato.

Edited by lastninja
LilyR Rising Star

I can't seem to find frozen fries that are not fried in soy or vegetable oil, so I have not had any luck with any so far. I've made some baked fries at home which is not quite the same, but better than nothing.  And I think Five Guys uses peanut oil for theirs, I think...so if you have one near you, you could call and ask them.  I had a bunless burger there last fall and I ate the fries and I think I was okay, but I can't totally remember now.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
15 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I can't seem to find frozen fries that are not fried in soy or vegetable oil, so I have not had any luck with any so far. I've made some baked fries at home which is not quite the same, but better than nothing.  And I think Five Guys uses peanut oil for theirs, I think...so if you have one near you, you could call and ask them.  I had a bunless burger there last fall and I ate the fries and I think I was okay, but I can't totally remember now.  

Amusingly I just had someone send a recipe for sweet poatoe steak fries this morning.

Total Time: 25m
Yield: 2 servings

No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1 sweet potato
  • 1 tbsp oil or spray
  • optional salt as desired
  • optional seasonings, such as cinnamon, onion, garlic, or chili, or curry powder

Instructions

Cut sweet potato into fry shape with a knife. Place in a large bowl and soak in water for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain, and be sure to pat completely dry. Preheat oven to 485 F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Toss or spray the sweet potatoes with oil, but don’t add the seasonings yet. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet, place on the center rack, and bake 20 minutes. Turn the fries, then bake another 5 minutes or until desired doneness. Toss with seasonings of choice.

RMJ Mentor

I’m curious, what is the purpose of soaking in water?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

2 reasons, 1 it insures they do not dry too much out, 2. when  they do cook it helps sort of steam cook in the inside giving that "puffed" soft texture inside and the oil gives it a fried crisp outside. If you cook on a wire rack placed on top of a cookie sheet it almost air fries them. Bonus points if you have a convection oven

RMJ Mentor

Thanks, I will have to try these.

LilyR Rising Star
On 7/19/2018 at 3:01 PM, Ennis_TX said:

2 reasons, 1 it insures they do not dry too much out, 2. when  they do cook it helps sort of steam cook in the inside giving that "puffed" soft texture inside and the oil gives it a fried crisp outside. If you cook on a wire rack placed on top of a cookie sheet it almost air fries them. Bonus points if you have a convection oven

Thanks for the recipe.  I have not tried it with sweet potato, but sounds good.  And I've never tried soaking them in water.  I did hear that before but thought it was just for the fried method. I'll have to try that sometime even for the baked method. I am happy I even found a ketchup with no corn or soy in it. It is a bit too sweet, but still, it's ketchup.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, LilyR said:

Thanks for the recipe.  I have not tried it with sweet potato, but sounds good.  And I've never tried soaking them in water.  I did hear that before but thought it was just for the fried method. I'll have to try that sometime even for the baked method. I am happy I even found a ketchup with no corn or soy in it. It is a bit too sweet, but still, it's ketchup.  

Primal Kitchen (https://www.primalkitchen.com/collections/ketchup-mustard/products/organic-unsweetened-ketchup) are corn free ketchup Hell they do not even use grain based vinegar. Primal Kitchen even makes great Mayo, mustard, dressings (Only Ranch I can eat and not vomit), etc. As a Paleo based company they will not use any grain based ingredients including corn.

Um Sir Kingstons is debatable I got this from them on Email About their Ketchup, Mustard, and Secret Sauce.
Hello, 

I apologize I just checked with our R & D team and all 3 products are gluten and dairy free. Our citric acid is derived from cane sugar. 
For xanthan gum, corn is used as a substrate during the production of xanthan gum, however, there is no corn in the end xanthan gum. 
Vinegar across all 3 of these products is derived from sugar cane and corn. 

If you need anything else please just let us know. 

Thanks,
Tessa 
LilyR Rising Star
21 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Primal Kitchen (https://www.primalkitchen.com/collections/ketchup-mustard/products/organic-unsweetened-ketchup) are corn free ketchup Hell they do not even use grain based vinegar. Primal Kitchen even makes great Mayo, mustard, dressings (Only Ranch I can eat and not vomit), etc. As a Paleo based company they will not use any grain based ingredients including corn.

Um Sir Kingstons is debatable I got this from them on Email About their Ketchup, Mustard, and Secret Sauce.
Hello, 

I apologize I just checked with our R & D team and all 3 products are gluten and dairy free. Our citric acid is derived from cane sugar. 
For xanthan gum, corn is used as a substrate during the production of xanthan gum, however, there is no corn in the end xanthan gum. 
Vinegar across all 3 of these products is derived from sugar cane and corn. 

If you need anything else please just let us know. 

Thanks,
Tessa 

Thank you so much for the info on Primal Kitchen.  I just checked their website it it says there are a few stores in my town that sell it.  I will have to go check it out.  I have not tried Sir Kingston yet.  I was wanting to at some point.  I made a honey mustard sauce from a spicy mustard from one store (a brand called Full Circle - that is the same brand of ketchup I tried too, which is good, just sweeter than I prefer).  I will have to try the Primal Kitchen.  I miss sauces, lol!  We made chicken tenders by coating in crushed Rice Chex, baked them (sprayed with olive oil), and they were good.  I also tried making onion rings with coconut flour and rice flour on them.  They didn't stay crisp for long, but then again, it was humid, so not sure if it was the flour or the weather.  Still, it was a nice sort of fast food/ordering out type of dinner that I haven't had in almost two years.  I did splurge and have a coke with it too.  I had some bloat, but nothing bad.  No stomach distention.  I won't splurge like that often though.  Once I eat it, I am good for a long time.  But I was thinking the sauces, like even making the honey mustard, I could use that in cooking plain chicken or putting on a chicken or turkey burger to give some variety from my usual tomato and lettuce or ketchup. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
6 minutes ago, LilyR said:

Thank you so much for the info on Primal Kitchen.  I just checked their website it it says there are a few stores in my town that sell it.  I will have to go check it out.  I have not tried Sir Kingston yet.  I was wanting to at some point.  I made a honey mustard sauce from a spicy mustard from one store (a brand called Full Circle - that is the same brand of ketchup I tried too, which is good, just sweeter than I prefer).  I will have to try the Primal Kitchen.  I miss sauces, lol!  We made chicken tenders by coating in crushed Rice Chex, baked them (sprayed with olive oil), and they were good.  I also tried making onion rings with coconut flour and rice flour on them.  They didn't stay crisp for long, but then again, it was humid, so not sure if it was the flour or the weather.  Still, it was a nice sort of fast food/ordering out type of dinner that I haven't had in almost two years.  I did splurge and have a coke with it too.  I had some bloat, but nothing bad.  No stomach distention.  I won't splurge like that often though.  Once I eat it, I am good for a long time.  But I was thinking the sauces, like even making the honey mustard, I could use that in cooking plain chicken or putting on a chicken or turkey burger to give some variety from my usual tomato and lettuce or ketchup. 

There is a company called Nutcrumbs that makes grain free breading crumbs from nuts, you can also use Protes Chips and pulse in a food processor.....seriously vegan nacho cheddar Doritos like breading, the coconut one on sea food, the BBQ on chicken....the chili and lime on a mexican styled fried steak.....I think I did a recipe post on my methods of breading with all of these .
https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2543-grain-free-breading/

LilyR Rising Star

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. I just looked at their site and apparently there are a few stores near me that are suppose to sell the Protes chips, although not sure how accurate it is since one store listed has been out of business for a few years.  I hope some of the other stores still carry them. One store it mentioned was CVS, go figure. 

On 7/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, Ennis_TX said:

There is a company called Nutcrumbs that makes grain free breading crumbs from nuts, you can also use Protes Chips and pulse in a food processor.....seriously vegan nacho cheddar Doritos like breading, the coconut one on sea food, the BBQ on chicken....the chili and lime on a mexican styled fried steak.....I think I did a recipe post on my methods of breading with all of these .
https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2543-grain-free-breading/

• 2 years later...
Bharvi Rookie
On 7/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, RMJ said:

I’m curious, what is the purpose of soaking in water?

It helps to remove the extra starch and allows them to crisp better.