Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:




Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter




Ads by Google:






   Get email alerts  Celiac.com E-Newsletter

  • Announcements

    • admin

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Angry Orchard hard cider
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with Angry Orchard hard cider? I would like to try it, but I'm a bit wary of trying new products, even ones labeled 'gluten free'. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:

I just had one last night for the first time. I feel fine today, but I don't get a lot of symptoms so you probably can't rely on me. Curious to hear what others say.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monkey0111,

Most Ciders are gluten free by their very nature.  I googled  angry orchard cider and several gluten free reviewers gave it a thumbs up and that was way back in 2012 when it was first introduced in the market.

No one seemed to have a reaction to it then so I would say unless they have malt in their ingredient list it should be safe.

Some ciders use Malt in their fermenting process so be sure to look at all ciders for that ingredient to make sure they are free of malt since malt contains barley.

There is actually new research about "gluten removed beer and gluten free beer (from sorghum usually) and whether gluten removed beer  is safe for celiac's.

Check it out it might be of interest too you.

http://www.beveragedaily.com/R-D/Study-Gluten-removed-beer-not-safe-for-those-with-celiac-disease

I suspect Celiac.com will probably do an article on this new study soon.

I hope this is helpful.

posterboy,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angry orchard and many many other ciders are safe for Celiacs.  Like Posterboy said, they are normally gluten-free,  beware of that Redd kind - it's actually beer with apple flavor ( it doesn't claim to be gluten-free, it's just tricked some Celiacs)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do react, it might just be due to a damaged gut. So, don't blame Angry Orchard!    I could not drink alcohol for a while until my gut healed.  Now, no problems!  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


Hi,

My daughter has no issues with Angry Orchard and she is a very sensitive Celiac. Smith Forge Hard Cider comes in cans and is also very good. She stays away from all the Gluten Free beer just because she is not 100% confident that is safe. Tito's vodka is also safe for Celiacs. I have seen and tasted it at the Gluten Free Expos. 

Welcome to the forum 😊

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zodi1993 said:

Hi,

My daughter has no issues with Angry Orchard and she is a very sensitive Celiac. Smith Forge Hard Cider comes in cans and is also very good. She stays away from all the Gluten Free beer just because she is not 100% confident that is safe. Tito's vodka is also safe for Celiacs. I have seen and tasted it at the Gluten Free Expos. 

Welcome to the forum 😊

There is no reason to stay away from gluten-free beers. It's the ones that say "gluten removed" that may have gluten issues. In then US, gluten removed beers are not allowed to call themselves gluten-free.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angry Orchard doesn't like me much.  But then I don't feel well after drinking any commercial ciders.  I don't think it's gluten, but some other reaction.  So that's something to consider, as we can develop reactions to any food ingredient, not just gluten.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a lot of sugar?  A lot of apple juice?  If I drank 24  oz of apple juice........  so I try not to drink too many and tend towards the less sweet ones.  

 

A fun new drink i ink I have been enjoying is Truely .  Let me be back with a link.  There is another brand that is the same idea. They are not as strong a flavor as a soda.

 

http://www.trulyspikedsparkling.com/

 

http://whiteclaw.com/age-gate/

 

 

Edited by kareng
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I read a recent article on Gluten removed beers not being safe for celiacs at all, due to the way they "Remove" Gluten via a enzyme is not precise and leaves a bunch of the gluten proteins behind. Anyway, I found a cider I had a sip of a few weeks ago locally made here in Texas that did not bother me. Was debating how to use it in cooking lol. I do not handle alcohol well due to intestinal bleeding but love the flavor of cider and rums. I normally use rum in cooking stir fries where I can use it to add a sweet caramelized flavor to the veggie been thinking about doing this with a cider. might try orchard,  PS I found a Rum Emulsion I use in drinks for flavoring with cola/rootbeer stevia drops or Zetiva Soda.

NOTE mulled ciders sometimes use barley or malt in them for flavoring so watch for those

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

I know I read a recent article on Gluten removed beers not being safe for celiacs at all, due to the way they "Remove" Gluten via a enzyme is not precise and leaves a bunch of the gluten proteins behind. Anyway, I found a cider I had a sip of a few weeks ago locally made here in Texas that did not bother me. Was debating how to use it in cooking lol. I do not handle alcohol well due to intestinal bleeding but love the flavor of cider and rums. I normally use rum in cooking stir fries where I can use it to add a sweet caramelized flavor to the veggie been thinking about doing this with a cider. might try orchard,  PS I found a Rum Emulsion I use in drinks for flavoring with cola/rootbeer stevia drops or Zetiva Soda.

NOTE mulled ciders sometimes use barley or malt in them for flavoring so watch for those

 

You don't eat meat?  Cause cider,   Hard or regular, is great on pork. Hard cider might give an interesting flavor to cooked apples.  Especially like a blueberry apple?  Cranberry Apple?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kareng said:

You don't eat meat?  Cause cider,   Hard or regular, is great on pork. Hard cider might give an interesting flavor to cooked apples.  Especially like a blueberry apple?  Cranberry Apple?  

Small amounts of salmon, crabs, and swai seem fine. Most red meats and tough white meats, I just throw back up or come out undigested. But I do cook meats for others, might consider this, thinking cooking a roast in a crock pot in a bottle of cider might be great. I know doing it in a cane sugar natural rootbeer was wonderful, shredded it then poured in my homemade BBQ sauce and served it over beanito nachos with non dairy cheese shreds at a convention.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found that cider I had the other day, labeled gluten-free. Tasted like a beer more then a cider. Only sipped a bit and handed it off.

IMG_20170214_090812.jpg

IMG_20170214_090611.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Found that cider I had the other day, labeled gluten-free. Tasted like a beer more then a cider. Only sipped a bit and handed it off.

IMG_20170214_090812.jpg

I drink that cider often. A friend of mine who is a sensitive NCGS fellow can drink it without any trouble as well. The original is not as sweet as other ciders......It's probably why it tastes more like beer.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angry Orhard has different "flavors".  Some are really sweet and some are more "dry".  I prefer the less sweet, especially with food

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses. The reason I ask is because, even though I've been gluten-free for going on 10 years now, I've recently experienced a resurgence of symptoms - namely brain fog and memory troubles - and I'm trying to figure out if some gluten has managed to sneak into my diet somehow (apparently some celiacs are having trouble with Bob's Red Mill oats and Cheerios, to name a few things that I semi/regularly eat...), as well as making extra extra extra sure that none gets in in the future. 

As a result, I'm being extra cautious about any new gluten-free products that I introduce into my diet so I wanted to make sure this cider was celiac safe.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Monkey0111 said:

Thanks for the responses. The reason I ask is because, even though I've been gluten-free for going on 10 years now, I've recently experienced a resurgence of symptoms - namely brain fog and memory troubles - and I'm trying to figure out if some gluten has managed to sneak into my diet somehow (apparently some celiacs are having trouble with Bob's Red Mill oats and Cheerios, to name a few things that I semi/regularly eat...), as well as making extra extra extra sure that none gets in in the future. 

As a result, I'm being extra cautious about any new gluten-free products that I introduce into my diet so I wanted to make sure this cider was celiac safe.

Seems the market is getting looser on labeling stuff gluten-free without certifications, then being contaminated -_- Dealing with this myself right now, even using a gluten tester on a completed dish confirmed my concerns when something made with only gluten-free ingredients came back positive. You can only trust certain brands and gluten-free Certified foods it seems.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monkey0111,

If it is brain fog and memory issues you need to check out this thread.

Be sure to review any medicines you might be taking too that might be contributing to the brain fog.

Years ago I took Statins at the recommendations of my doctor's and I knew within two months that they were affecting my memory.

My brain fog has since lifted and my memory thankfully improved after I stopped taking the statins.

See thread but I think Niacinamide I begun taking at the time helped my memory to improve after stopping the statins.  I no longer take Niacinamide but found my memory improved when I was taking it.

You might also check out Lecithin if you are allergic to soy make sure you find the egg derived version.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-the-benefits-of-lecithin.htm

I do not take it now but have taking it before (Lecithin) and I do think it helped my mental clarity.

Eggs are a good source in your diet of Lecithin.

It can be readily bought in a powder form to sprinkle on your breakfast foods if that is something you think you want to try.

People sometimes use it for weight loss but I never saw more than a temporary weight reduction when I tried it.

*** this is not medical advice just my experience and research from supplements I have taken before with good results.

I hope this is helpful.  And they help you too!

posterboy,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Posterboy said:

Monkey0111,

If it is brain fog and memory issues you need to check out this thread.

Be sure to review any medicines you might be taking too that might be contributing to the brain fog.

Years ago I took Statins at the recommendations of my doctor's and I knew within two months that they were affecting my memory.

My brain fog has since lifted and my memory thankfully improved after I stopped taking the statins.

See thread but I think Niacinamide I begun taking at the time helped my memory to improve after stopping the statins.  I no longer take Niacinamide but found my memory improved when I was taking it.

You might also check out Lecithin if you are allergic to soy make sure you find the egg derived version.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-the-benefits-of-lecithin.htm

I do not take it now but have taking it before (Lecithin) and I do think it helped my mental clarity.

Eggs are a good source in your diet of Lecithin.

It can be readily bought in a powder form to sprinkle on your breakfast foods if that is something you think you want to try.

People sometimes use it for weight loss but I never saw more than a temporary weight reduction when I tried it.

*** this is not medical advice just my experience and research from supplements I have taken before with good results.

I hope this is helpful.  And they help you too!

posterboy,

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

I don't take any medications or supplements, although I might start taking niacinamide to see if it will help with my memory issues!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
2 2