Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Celiac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Help! Want to go out for bubble tea....
3 3

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I have a friend who wants to take me out for bubble tea, but I feel awkward because I'm not sure about contamination issues. I am also sensitive to dairy. 

Has anyone here had problems with bubble tea, or is it safe for celiacs? 

Also, I know that I can get milk free bubble tea, but I'm a little worried about contamination. 

Thoughts? 

Ads by Google:

Ask the place ahead of time. Maybe go by and sope it out.    What would contaminate the tea?  What else do they make?  Where do they make the other stuff?

I tried calling, but customer service was really bad. 

The woman kept telling me that I could have milk because it wasn't dairy. 

I'm asking about bubble tea in general. If contamination were not a problem, is bubble tea usually gluten free? 

I know nothing about bubble (boba)  tea except mixes are used (processed) and whole tapioca is added.  There are many stores around my house which are owned by Koreans.  Nice people, but they do not have much exposure or knowledge about celiac disease in my personal experience.  You know that "deer in the headlights" look when you ask about gluten.  My gluten-eating kid likes the drinks, but I opt for plain coffee with cream at the Starbucks located in the same strip mall.  

Keep us posted on the results of your research.  

" I'm asking about bubble tea in general. If contamination were not a problem, is bubble tea usually gluten free?  "

Yes.

My celiac daughter likes boba tea.  I have tested her favorite tea with ezgluten test kit as well as NIMA, and they have always tested negative.   We only get our tea at this one specific tea shop (they have 3 different locations).   They pretty much only sell tea and coffee, and some snacks that are usually kept in a window display and in their own plastic casings.  

Boba tea is just milk tea and tapioca.   You can order with black tea or green tea, and with or without milk.   These places generally don't use flour or soy sauce in their "production line".   I would avoid tea places that also sell food.  

Ads by Google:

Thanks for all your input guys! 

After much research, I decided to scope out a bubble tea place in advance. It was a specialty tea  shop, but did sell other things like cake. Thankfully, the gluten containing products were carefully separated from the tapioca pearls and tea. I also requested a copy of their tea ingredients, which were gluten free. 

I decided to risk it, as I didn't have anything up for the next few weeks and could handle a glutening. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have a reaction, and to my delight, I didn't. 

I really appreciate the advice everybody gave, as they helped me choose a low risk establishment to trial with. 

Claire