• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Concerns about the affects of eating Rice and containing high levels of Arsenic and Mercury

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to the group/Forum.  I read the information below regarding the affects of Rice, included in a gluten free diet.  I am very concerned after reading the information regarding Rice having high levels of Arsenic and Mercury.  I use rice product in my every day preparation of meals.  I would like to know more about the affects of eating rice and any diet recommendations.  I would appreciate your review and reply.  Thank you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-free-diet-arsenic-mercury-2017-3

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Like you, I am concerned about arsenic in rice products.  But I have used common sense in keeping my family safe.  We use other grains or starches beside rice.  I purchase rice from California and soak and wash it well (I still prefer steaming).  Here is more information from the Gluten Free Watch Dog that should set your mind at ease or show you how to work with rice: 

https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/arsenic-and-rice-update-for-gluten-free-consumers/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Debbie S

• Topics

• To All, this is a fascinating thread.  Thank you knitty kitty for starting it and rmj for your great research. I am always' trying to find out as much as I can about gluten and it many hiding places but didn't know it could be hidden in food additives as it where.  I have always been wary of products of that contained "natural flavorings" because they didn't say exactly where these "flavorings" come from. But I just read a fascinating article how a teenager uses a gluten sniffing service dog to help her avoid "natural flavoring" gluten contaminated products even when gluten was not in the ingredient. This probably could be a whole another thread . . . like who would use such a dog if they could afford one for example but I wanted bring out the discussion in the article that confirms what rmj and knitty kitty said about food additives that others like myself might not not have known that unless "gluten is contained in wheat itself" then the gluten content does not have to be declared.  Kind of alarming to think about and could explain some super sensitivity in those who are eating "naturally flavored foods" that are seeming gluten free from the label (anyway). Here is the article that talks about how food containing gluten not declared (in the label anyway) because wheat is not one of their ingredients can be found by a gluten sniffing dog. http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/article140031618.html quoting from the article confirming what rmj and knitty kitty said about food additives. "According to Watters, Zeus can detect the scent and presence of gluten in food and other products down to .0025 parts per million. What the Lapidats have discovered, is it is relatively unknown that some products contain gluten in the absence of wheat. The gluten molecule can be removed from wheat protein and solubilized for use in cleaning supplies and as a thickener. Under current food industry regulations, "if it's not encased in wheat we don't have to know that it's there," Wendy said. "So that's a problem for us because we don't know where gluten is." Often times, gluten is used as a "natural flavoring" and the only way for a consumer to tell if a certain product contains gluten would be to call the company. Before the Lapidats had Zeus, Wendy said she would spend hours in the grocery store line calling companies, waiting to talk to someone who could tell her what their product's natural flavor was. "So now I can take Zeus and he can detect through a lot of packaging," Wendy said. ". I can ask him right in the grocery store and he can tell me right away if it's safe or not." Zeus also checks Evelyn's meals at school and in restaurants. He pretty much monitors anything she might end up putting her hands into, including the glue used for a paper-mache project in a recent science class." Here is another link that talks about the service that helped the parents train the dog for their child to help her "sniff out" hidden gluten in as the article says "Though humans cannot detect it, gluten shows up almost everywhere — foods containing wheat, some foods and candies not containing wheat and even Soft Soap. For those inflicted with celiac disease, which is incurable, this constant possibility of contamination and the accompanying worries can be exhausting. Evelyn has a high sensitivity to gluten and has avoided it as much as possible for the last three years since being diagnosed. The only way to manage the symptoms of celiac disease is to adhere to a strict gluten-free diet. With such a high sensitivity, however, that often proved difficult for Evelyn and her parents, who are both pediatricians in Elkhart. When exposed to gluten Evelyn could become quite ill." "I was up at night and upset, and wondering what we were going to do," explained Dr. Wendy Lapidat, Evelyn's mother. "I started looking up devices, electronic devices and I was dissatisfied with them. (Then) out popped this website for Nosey Dog Detection Partners." http://iheartdogs.com/gluten-detecting-dog-changes-the-life-of-a-girl-with-celiac-disease/ I once saw a piece a pbs special that said dogs can even track time with their noses.  as your essence in the room gets lower and lower at a certain point they know by smell alone you will be returning home and it is true for my dog.  He is always at the door even before I get there. here is the link on dog's ability to smell is 10 thousand times better than us humans and maybe even 10x that amount. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-sense-of-smell.html Now only if I had the money to train my dog. I hope this is helpful. posterboy,  
    • To Whom It May Concern, (since this is an old threat) There is a discussion going now in a new thread that could explain why some people are reacting to certain products containing chicken. see this thread that talks about the food additive transglutaminase is sometimes used in "formed chicken" products which can trigger similar autoimmune reactions. search for rmj or knitty kitty and they have a lot of good information about the topic. quoting from the active thread by knitty kitty "Here's one more article.... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25676324 This article says "Tight junction leakage is enhanced by many luminal components, commonly used industrial food additives being some of them. Glucose, salt, emulsifiers, organic solvents, gluten, microbialtransglutaminase, and nanoparticles are extensively and increasingly used by the food industry, claim the manufacturers, to improve the qualities of food. However, all of the aforementioned additives increase intestinal permeability by breaching the integrity of tight junction paracellular transfer. In fact, tight junction dysfunction is common in multiple autoimmune diseases and the central part played by the tight junction in autoimmune diseases pathogenesis is extensively described." It is very scary that these food additives are being put into our foods without knowing the long term effects.   Thanks for posting additional sources.   I think RMJ is correct in saying that transglutaminase is considered a processing aid and doesn't have to be on the label, but I've come across other studies where the transglutaminase is is found in the finished product and is still active and able to cause problems in the gut." I hope this is helpful for anybody else who happens come across this thread who still might be looking for an answer as to why "formed chicken" or other "formed meat" products can cause a gluten like reaction. This might be why. *** this is not medical advice but it couldn't hurt to look in to it more if "formed meat" products are giving you problems despite being gluten free in the rest of your diet choices. good luck and I hope this is truly helpful. posterboy,      
    • Here is the current See's gluten free statement: http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aats_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-sees-shared-library/default/dwea2bf92b/footer-forms/sees-allergen-info-2017.pdf So, it is not certified gluten-free, but all the ingredients are gluten free.  We eat See's!  But I do not eat it once the box has been opened and all my gluten-eating nieces and nephews touch the candy searching for their favorite pieces while at parties.  Of course, their parents do not condone this action.....but the kids still do it.  😆
    • Yep, I would listen to your body.  You are in the process of healing.  Since it is hard to determine exactly what your body is seeking (in terms of nutritients), focus on a well-rounded diet and give it time (few months).  Eat until you are full and don't stuff yourself as even non-celiacs experience bloating after a huge holiday meal!   Go easy on the rice, potatoes and beans as those can contribute to gas.  Most celiacs can not release the enzymes to digest complex carbs.  Consider an enzyme supplement or just reduce those gassy/fermenting foods for a while.   Already you have seen some improvement.  Now, the hard part is to be patient!  😊
    • Try reducing the carbs, upping the healthy fats and proteins. The sugar load from the carbs might be throwing your body out of whack with your sugar blance. I find turning to almonds, coconut, etc. seems to help. Thought I get random cravings for fruit myself, which I can not have. Fiber intake might help a bit, try snacking on stuff like whole pumpkin seeds (shell on), whole hemp seeds(shell on), using coconut flour in eggs beaten in and in other dishes to add some fiber and fats. Another alternative to feeling full, there is a company that makes zero carb noodles and rice called miracle noodles, they are made of konjac flour that helps you feel really full. I find using a bit in meals helps, Pretty much the only rice and noodles I can eat now days anyway. >.> You can even mix them with eggs and fry them into ramen buns for burgers, Or Blend them into almond milk with nut butters and coconut flour to make a porridge. Going to admit I did a little experiment recently, on suggestion I got a glucose monitor and watched how my sugars spiked and how it con-sides with cravings. Found adjusting to a keto diet of just fats and protein and no to little net carbs got rid of all my bloating after a week. There is a flu like stage, a odd feeling craving stage, then a unlimited energy I feel like god stage with a few random quirks I am still adjusting too, A multivitaamiin should help with any cravings related to nutrient issues. BTW what are you craving? certain cravings are linked to some foods oddly enough. My sweets cravings is a potassium issue, where I just need to eat more dark greens, mushrooms and coconut.
  • Upcoming Events