This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

They say I don't have celiacs but is it NCGI?

User876676

User876676 Newbie

I've never posted anything concerning this anywhere and I'm usually a forums troll, but I see how helpful this community is and wanted to gain some perspective.

For the last full year following my first ever Endoscopy and in preparation for a very stressful move overseas, I developed a belching and choking feeling that was utterly relentless. I switched PPI medications for my heartburn issues several times but the belching and choking never relents. Fastforward to now, I've cut out dairy almost entirely but still belch and the choking feeling is again constant. I decide to finally try to cut out gluten (third attempt) and I make it two days and feel soooo hungry and have some massive cravings. I binge on a lemon pie (sue me). It was nearly half the pie and I thought oh well I'll burn off most of it at the gym. 15 minutes later I can't move and pass out on my couch for 2 to 3 hours. It was like being hit by a car. Do you think I might have NCGI and cutting out gluten may help with all my symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

First off, what testing did they do to decide you aren't celiac? When were these tests performed? Did they do a celiac blood panel prior to the endoscopy? Which tests did they do? You should have/get/keep copies of all medical tests for your own records (even the ones not dealing with celiac). Did they do biopsies during the endoscopy? How many? From what areas? What does the pathology say? Were they even looking for celiac or was it something else? I'm just wondering if the testing done on you was done properly for ruling out celiac disease. You'd be surprised how many people think they've been tested but later find out the docs didn't do it correctly.

Your symptoms could be celiac or NCGI -- they both have the same symptoms but there is no test for NCGI. Then again your symptoms could be something else.

Your rabid hunger after 2 days gluten free sounds a lot like gluten withdrawal. That will pass if you maintain a gluten-free diet but you have to stick with it.

Jmg Mentor

You might and it may...

You need to decide whether you're done with testing, see SI's comments above. If you've had the full celiac panel and a negative endoscopy then you may be like me, someone that reacts to gluten but doesn't show up on the tests. NCGI is a diagnosis of exclusion, if you react positively to a gluten-free diet then once you've excluded celiac you can call it NCGI. I used to feel like I'd been hit by a train after meals. I had belching and bloating and horrendous heartburn and much more besides. Ditching gluten has stopped that and even though I don't have a diagnosis to help me stick to the diet I'm never going to eat gluten willingly again.  

If your doctors have excluded celiac then you have nothing to lose, and potentially much to gain, from properly trialling the gluten-free diet. The key point to remember is that there can be NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER, if you're going to find out if gluten is the source of your problems.

You'll get lots of support here if you choose to go ahead and trial the diet. It's obviously restrictive, but if its the source of your problems you'll probably find that feeling well is all the incentive you need to keep to it. My advice would be to start a food journal to track any changes and to get some nice gluten-free foods in your cupboard to make sure if you do have some urges you don't slip on the diet. 

Best of luck :)

Corrie Rookie

I've had this before too. Look up LERD, or silent reflux. It's a type of reflux that sounds a lot like what you're going through. 

Open Original Shared Link

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.