This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight loss

Theri

Theri Apprentice

I have been eating gluten free for over 2 months. I eat lots of nuts and carbs and have gone from 103 lbs.to 95 lbs.. I do not know how to gain weight and rid anxiety from being underweight. My behavior is becoming a bit cooky. Still waiting for endoscopy to confirm if celiac. Will do gluten challenge before hand. Taking b complex, d3 b12 sublinguel magnesium and multi. The nutritionist I am suppose to see is unreachable. Has anyone successfully gained weight. Oh am prediabetic and trying to eat healthy gluten free food. Thankyou!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hello Theri,

Welcome to the forum! :)

It can take longer than 2 months to recover from celiac disease damage.  Actually, a year or more is common.   If you are trying to avoid diabetes, you should avoid carbs and sugar.  They are your enemy.  Instead eat meats, nuts, veggies, and eggs.  Concentrate on protein and fats instead of carbs.  You need high quality protein to heal your body.

PinkyGurl Explorer

From your post it sounds like you diet is a bit unbalance(nuts and carbs). You should be eating meats, cheese, carbs, veggies, fruit and good fats. (Avocado, olive oil)

Theri Apprentice

It is. I eat chicken and eggs. Veggies and fruit make me ill. I would like to eat them.

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, Theri said:

It is. I eat chicken and eggs. Veggies and fruit make me ill. I would like to eat them.

I would recommend working with a dietician and your doctor.  You seem to be missing a lot of valuable nutrients on just a nut, egg and chicken diet.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Gaining weight I would suggest a diet higher in fats from coconut, almonds, avocado, and plenty of eggs/egg whites, I also have found taking BCAAs and scoops off protein powder before bed helps to maintain weight (Just protein blends no rice solids,etc. I use a blend of Growing Naturals Pea, and Jarrow rice, with pumpkin seed protein before bed). I personally suggest pumpkin seed protein alot due to the high zinc and magnesium content with the balanced fats, protein, and amino acide complex help with muscle recovery and stress on the body.  Other blends I take are Nutrakey V-Pro and MRM Veggie Elite mixed into shakes that I use during the day mixed with a unsweetened coconut yogurt, almond butter, and almond milk.

I have recently found a celiac meal replacement shake by pioneer labs. Since I started taking it daily I have gained 4lbs. It is well balanced with just the derived vitamins and minerals you need without all the powdered veggies/fruits that can trigger issues if you have intolerance/allergies to them (This is a huge reason why most meal replacement shakes bother me) I use in it my daily shake and have a few tbsp of it with each meal, blending  it in with egg whites, nut butters, coconut, and almond milk in the mornings for omelettes or egg dishes to get more balance.

I also found Nutritional Yeast to help alot and have 2-4tbsp of it with each meal, it is a inactive yeast that is safe even for people with reactions to yeast in other products I have found. Nice cheesy nutty flavor.

If you can not have fruits I also suggest a vitamin C supplement along with the others, perhaps a vitamin K also.

I will show you what I consume and take daily, perhaps look it over see what you might discuss with your dietician about.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/116482-supplement-and-foods-you-take/

• 1 month later...
Anonymous Newbie

I have the same troubles, have been carrying a view extra pounds, but nothing to worry about. The weight after adopting the gluten free diet is just falling off like crazy. I am loosing weight at an alarming rate, so surprised about that.

I will concentrate on meats more, trying to get more calories with carbs seems like it is not a good idea. 

It is scary to loose so much weight without even trying. Seriously confused and a little frightened by the severity of this disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Theri Apprentice
1 hour ago, Anonymous said:

I have the same troubles, have been carrying a view extra pounds, but nothing to worry about. The weight after adopting the gluten free diet is just falling off like crazy. I am loosing weight at an alarming rate, so surprised about that.

I will concentrate on meats more, trying to get more calories with carbs seems like it is not a good idea. 

It is scary to loose so much weight without even trying. Seriously confused and a little frightened by the severity of this disease.

Hi Anonymous! I am happy to let you know my weight is better now. I have gained a few pounds. If you notice trigger foods avoid them. Introduce them slowly in tiny amounts in a few weeks. I have added passion flower and amino acid gluten free powder to my diet. Tastes awful. It is ok stirred in peanutbutter. I think the passion flower helps so much with anxiety it is calming my stomache. It is sedating. If you drive or operate machinery just take before bed. A messed up stomach effects neuro activity to the brain. If you feel anxious you might want to investigate this. Hope your weight loss subsides soon.?

Archived