• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

High Incidence of Celiac Disease in a Long-term Study of Adolescents with Susceptibility Genotypes

1 post in this topic

six_cousins--cc--gordon.jpg

Researchers really do not have really good data on rates of celiac disease in the general population of children in the United States. A team of researchers recently set out to estimate the cumulative incidence of celiac disease in adolescents born in the Denver metropolitan area. Their team collected data on HLA-DR, DQ genotypes of 31,766 infants, born from 1993 through 2004 at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Denver, from the Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young.

View the full article

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Humam Jabban

• Topics

• Never been there but just looked at their gluten free menu online and am impressed. I tend to make my own burgers now and cook them separately when bbq season arrives. There's a Gourmet Burger not too far away however so I will give them a try.  Funnily enough although I'm probably coming over all: its actually savoury things which I miss more. I miss pies, pasties and the like. Terrible thing to deny a northern male his savoury pastry birthright.  
    • Thanks for the reply. Yes I have been eating it everyday since they said it was a possibility but I hope its enough because I do prefer to eat fresh stuff. Like for example today I ate mainly gluten free stuff (as I normally do) but I had pasta to make sure I got something with gluten. Also do you know how long it takes for the biopsy to come back? Can they tell anything from the naked eye while doing the endoscopy? 
    • Welcome!  No one can say for sure that a positive celiac blood test is going to confirm celiac disease.  Some folks skip the endoscopy for various reasons (health, financial, long wait times in some countries, etc.), but help to confirm with a trial Gluten free diet.  The endoscopy remains the "gold standard" by most celiac experts.   Note that your test may be negative if you stopped eating gluten.  You must be eating it daily two to four weeks prior to the endoscopy.  If you stopped, you might need to postpone the procedure. Ask your GI to take four or more intestinal tissue samples.   Damage from celiac disease can be spotty.   Good luck!  Keep us posted.  We are here to help.  😊      
    • What are your goals and expectations in planning this trip?  What do you think the celiac experts are going to tell you?    You have celiac disease (biopsy confirmed with partial villi blunting).  I am assuming that you had elevated celiac antibodies.  You were diagnosed about three to four months ago and have glutened yourself a few times since going gluten free (totally common and normal!) What isn't your current GI doing that is making you unhappy?  I just want to remind you that it takes a lot of TIME to heal.  Time to learn the diet and not to gluten yourself.  Time to wrap your head around your diagnosis (grieve, etc.)  What most doctors fail to tell you is that it takes a year or longer to heal.  Really.  I kid you not.  Ask anyone around here who walks the celiac walk.  Sure, some researchers think that villi can grow back in just a few short weeks.  But they do not take into consideration the gluten free diet's steep learning curve.  You have glutened yourself and chances are you are going to get nailed again.  It happens to even the seasoned members.   Let's pretend  you have another issue.  Your doctors are first going to want to rule out that celiac disease as the cause of your current issues.  They can do this by testing your antibodies to insure they are in a downward pattern (could take a year or longer for them to get back into the normal lab range).  This test is often done three months after a diagnosis, but some doctors wait until the six month mark?  Why?  Perhaps they are aware that their patients tend to gluten themselves in the early months.  It might discourage patients to give up theGF  diet if they do not see radical improvement.   My GI follows celiac follow-up guidelines.   My PCP is clueless, but she runs the tests that I need when I see her.  Is it the very best support?  No, but I do not expect my doctors to hold my hand.  They have other patients who are much sicker than I ever was.   Please do not take offense.  I am just trying to figure out why you would want to go to a celiac center when you have already been formally diagnosed.  
    • Hello everyone! I am new to this so bare with me if I mess something up I've never posted on a forum. So on Friday I will be getting a biopsy done to confirm celiac disease. I'm wondering if I had a positive blood test what are the chances that the biopsy will come back positive showing blunted villi. I know its hard to say if you aren't a doctor but I'm curious. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'll get a positive result. I know that sounds weird, like "wait you want celiac disease?" but I'm only 21 and I've been sick for so long and been to countless doctors and no one knows whats wrong with me. I finally think this can be the "thing" and maybe I can start to feel like a human instead of a zombie. Thanks for the input in advance! 
  • Upcoming Events